DJI Support is Terrible: Here's What Osmo Action Water Damage Cost
6260 16 2020-7-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LT7
lvl.1
Taiwan

DJI Support refuses to give a cost estimate for repairs before you send your item in. Like me you probably want to know a ballpark figure before you pay for shipping and wait weeks, but support will just tell you they need to see it to assess it. They have a replacement parts price list on their website but to save you the time from looking through it I'll tell you now if your osmo action died in the water the parts list is irrelevant the unit is a complete write off.

They will not service or repair a water damaged unit. They will instead offer you a refurbished replacement unit with a 3 month warranty for ~$209 USD. I'm in Taiwan so that figure is converted from NTD. Essentially expect to pay 15-20% less than you would if you bought a brand new unit with a brand new 12 month warranty (A new Osmo Action is $250 as of the time of this posting). This is objectively a bad deal. They include a separate email address at the bottom of the quote for you to contact to discuss price (quote.fb@dji.com) if you email them DJI will discount your repair invoice a further 15-20% in my case that email department responded quickly unlike the main email support. You can then choose to pay the 'repair' fee and they will ship you back a refurbished unit at no additional shipping cost or you can have them return your broken camera without repair and you'll have to pay for shipping.

For most folks it makes more sense to sell your broken unit for parts online, ebay going rate is $60-105 for water damaged osmo actions you can then put that money toward a brand new osmo action or a competitors camera ideally one with better customer support (which i'm not sure exists) or at least an action camera that has more reliable waterproofing.

I'm another one of the countless folks on here who lost an Osmo Action to water damage. Like others my battery and lens were installed correctly, it died in 1 meter of water after ~10 minutes of snorkeling. This is clearly a widespread unaddressed issue. If you lost your osmo to a freshwater source stick it in a giant bowl of rice and pray that in three days it turns on and you don't have to deal with DJI support.

If your osmo stopped working in salt water and you are outside your warranty like me, you are probably ... out of luck. And your best bet is to sell it for parts as DJI will not repair it and their refurbished unit pricing plus the cost of shipping your unit in is not reasonable in my opinion.

Osmo email support also takes ages to respond, in my case they gave me the wrong shipping address in Taiwan. They literally left out the first two words in the three word road, the post office luckily pointed out that there was no such address. I emailed them back while sitting in the post office to ask for the correct address and they still haven't responded, its been two weeks. Luckily phone support helped me get the correct address, but I wish I never sent it in.

In summation: good products, bad waterproofing, & lousy support. Would not recommend.

2020-7-20
Use props
LT7
lvl.1
Taiwan

DJI Support is Bad: This is How Much Osmo Action Water Damage Cost!

Edit: Sorry for the doublepost
2020-7-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

We are sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience with our customer support. Thank you for sharing your feedback. It will be forwarded to our corresponding teams in order to improve our customer service in the future.
2020-7-21
Use props
LT7
lvl.1
Taiwan

DJI Thor Posted at 7-21 02:36
We are sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience with our customer support. Thank you for sharing your feedback. It will be forwarded to our corresponding teams in order to improve our customer service in the future.

Don't bother forwarding it to the support agent I was assigned, he will never read it.

This is the address I was given by the support agent:
Contact person: DJI Service center
Mr. Chen
Telephone: 02-87230819
Address: New Taipei City Sijhih District
Five Road No. 90 3F
Post Code: 221​

Maybe it was a one off copy paste error but if its a translation snafu then a lot of English speaking drone owners in Taiwan are going to get their packages returned to sender.
2020-7-21
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

GoPro offers Options like 40% of Retail.   Sale price of a GoPro Lol tricking people that they are getting a new camera at 40% off.
2020-7-21
Use props
LT7
lvl.1
Taiwan

Fishycomics Posted at 7-21 06:39
GoPro offers Options like 40% of Retail.   Sale price of a GoPro Lol tricking people that they are getting a new camera at 40% off.

What do you mean?
2020-7-21
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

LT7 Posted at 7-21 10:24
What do you mean?

I said.   imagine another company , lets say GoPro, the same issue happened. they offer you  40% off.
2020-7-21
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

LT7 Posted at 7-21 03:19
Don't bother forwarding it to the support agent I was assigned, he will never read it.

This is the address I was given by the support agent:

We are sorry that you are not satisfied with the offer. Unfortunately, your product's warranty period had been expired - making it not possible to offer you a free replacement. Furthermore, the reason why we can't give you the estimated repair costs is that the product needs to go through a damage assessment before, to determine the damage and the repair process and costs.
2020-7-22
Use props
LT7
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 7-22 03:06
We are sorry that you are not satisfied with the offer. Unfortunately, your product's warranty period had been expired - making it not possible to offer you a free replacement. Furthermore, the reason why we can't give you the estimated repair costs is that the product needs to go through a damage assessment before, to determine the damage and the repair process and costs.

I don't expect a free replacement, I am outside my warranty by 4 weeks, I got beat fair and square I understand. I just expected a better offer than "trade in your broken camera and we will give you 16% off the price of a brand new camera, for a camera that is used or refurbished"
$209 is what a refurbished osmo action should probably cost if you were to sell them at retail beside the $250 new units. It makes zero sense to offer it to customers who also have to send their broken camera in to you to keep for parts.

That is absolutely shafting your customers regardless of how the product was damaged. But its even more unforgivable as it's pretty clear from the forums that there was a product defect or at the very least the waterproofing was not working as advertised. I bought this thing as soon as it launched in japan for around $420 so maybe it was just the early units that had a bad track record in the water proofing department but regardless you absolutely owe customers a better option then, "sorry it doesn't work but if you let us keep it we will sell you used camera for $40 less than we sell our brand new 1 year warrantied cameras for.

I also disagree that you need to inspect the unit to give an estimate, your own support staff told me if there is water damage they are not allowed to service it. Here's the direct quote:

"We are sorry for the issue you have with your DJI product, but for the sake of security,  we indeed don’t repair water damaged equipment. Because item consists of large quantity of sensitive electrical components, after it is water damaged, electrical components may be corroded, thus affecting its stability and security. Through the related tests, the repair of water damaged units needs to replace all the relevant components, and it is possible that the cost of repairing a water damaged item is far higher than buying a new unit. Therefore, we advise that water damaged units are ineligible for a repair service."

Knowing that you won't service your water damaged cameras why then can't you tell that to a customer ahead of time when they open a ticket saying, "my osmo action died in the water what will it cost to repair?" You already know the answer, you won't repair water damaged items. If you know that but won't inform customers, someone might assume you aren't forthcoming with that information so to put the customer in the position where you have their product, if they want it back they have to pay you again for shipping, and you can offer them a refurbished unit at a price point where you still maintain a healthy profit margin.

If instead you told the customer upfront, "we will not service water damaged units but if you pay $209 + give us your damaged unit and pay for shipping we will give you a refurbished unit in 4 weeks" I'd bet no one would accept that offer and they would be free to sell their camera for parts and go buy a used unit elsewhere or a camera from a competitor. But by keeping this information from the customers until you have their property in hand you put yourself in a stronger bargaining position and the customer in a position of sunk cost and time.

2020-7-22
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DJI.com the store sells at Retail $369.00 they offered you 15 % off with the return of the camera to their department at owners expense.    You're dealing with the Official site not   the prices you see online at Sale.  I do not think DJI can be any more clear on that.  Your warranty is outdated, they offered to repair but not meet the Customers satasfaction and demand?

FISH
So like I said this sounds exactly the same as Gopro Support. Retail + discount + camera = Lost Customer.
2020-7-22
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

LT7 Posted at 7-22 04:03
I don't expect a free replacement, I am outside my warranty by 4 weeks, I got beat fair and square I understand. I just expected a better offer than "trade in your broken camera and we will give you 16% off the price of a brand new camera, for a camera that is used or refurbished"
$209 is what a refurbished osmo action should probably cost if you were to sell them at retail beside the $250 new units. It makes zero sense to offer it to customers who also have to send their broken camera in to you to keep for parts.

Hi LT7,
We understand that you are upset. Your complain had been forwarded the customer care team for review. One of our agent will contact you through phone call for more clearance. Sorry to ask for your patience once more.
2020-7-23
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Like a Doctors office, take a number we'll get with you..   hope they do the right thing make you a Customer for life.
2020-7-24
Use props
Lex Van Campos
lvl.1

Spain

This company is soon forgotten as big streamers are already showing how bad osmo is with there costumers and products and updates etc etc,,
After that Karma will do the rest,
Just buy an product where you know there support is way better and product,
Go pro maybe will not be the best, But trust me, there support is way better compare to Osmo,

U said dont forward and he did, As soon they saw your big post they said we call you, But please let me know did they Called You And did the problem was resolved ??
2021-3-4
Use props
Lex Van Campos
lvl.1

Spain

LT7 Posted at 2020-7-22 04:03

did they ever called you ? Can you please give us an update
2021-3-4
Use props
djiuser_IOUzh7YtBHDk
New

Australia

I had a dji osmo action camera for just about a year, l was using it for videoing my hang glider flights. However I recently took it snorkelling it lasted about 10 minutes before failure due to water ingress.

This was my first and now my last dji product.

Very disappointed.

Iain
2022-6-2
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

And the same will go for GoPro,  why all should use a  case to add the extra protection
2022-6-3
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

djiuser_IOUzh7YtBHDk Posted at 6-2 18:55
I had a dji osmo action camera for just about a year, l was using it for videoing my hang glider flights. However I recently took it snorkelling it lasted about 10 minutes before failure due to water ingress.

This was my first and now my last dji product.

I would never take any waterproof camera diving without an extra waterproof case.
User error, not DJI fault.
2022-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules