4914 24 2020-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChamberDrone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11247 ft
United States

Hey guys.

So i'm having a weird problem when taking photos with the Mavic Air 2. So before I take the photo, on the phone screen everything looks like its properly exposure. But whenever I open the file on my computer, the photos are drastically underexposed(almost 2 stops underexposed). It's as if Im getting a false reading on the screen.  Video wise its fine, its only when taking photos. Anyone else having this problem?

2020-7-21
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

does this happen only on DNG files by any chance?
2020-7-21
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Does the app have a histogram function like GO 4's? You could use that as a reality check.
2020-7-21
Use props
Denny-R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899875 ft
Germany

You can enable the histogram in camera options in the dji fly app.
2020-7-21
Use props
ChamberDrone
lvl.1
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 7-21 07:16
does this happen only on DNG files by any chance?

yes it seems to be dng files are doing it
2020-7-21
Use props
ChamberDrone
lvl.1
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 7-21 09:47
Does the app have a histogram function like GO 4's? You could use that as a reality check.

I think it does have a histogram function. But still though, wouldnt the live show the true exposure of the camera
2020-7-21
Use props
Denny-R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899875 ft
Germany

The live view might fool you. You should always check the histogram to be on the safe side. It's also totally normal that the RAW file is a lot less saturated, has less contrast and is overall flat looking. If you shoot in 48MP mode, they are darker than 12MP mode at same ISO and shutter speed. Common quad bayer problem. But that should be visible in live view.
2020-7-21
Use props
ChamberDrone
lvl.1
United States

Denny-R Posted at 7-21 10:59
The live view might fool you. You should always check the histogram to be on the safe side. It's also totally normal that the RAW file is a lot less saturated, has less contrast and is overall flat looking. If you shoot in 48MP mode, they are darker than 12MP mode at same ISO and shutter speed. Common quad bayer problem. But that should be visible in live view.

ahh gotcha. I get that Raw photos will look natural flat, but they are just coming out really underexposed. I'll start looking at the histogram for now on
2020-7-21
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Romania

ChamberDrone Posted at 7-21 10:05
yes it seems to be dng files are doing it

I noticed this as well sometimes. The weird thing is that some programs (viewers mostly) show the image correctly but when opening it in a full fledged editor like Lightroom, they sometimes turn dark like they had some “auto editing” applied and Lightroom removed it. Funny thing is that it doesn’t always happen.
2020-7-21
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 7-21 13:47
I noticed this as well sometimes. The weird thing is that some programs (viewers mostly) show the image correctly but when opening it in a full fledged editor like Lightroom, they sometimes turn dark like they had some “auto editing” applied and Lightroom removed it. Funny thing is that it doesn’t always happen.

What you are likely seeing is the DJI processed jpeg preview file inside the DNG flash for a moment before the RAW file is rendered.

ChamberDrone, what color profile is being used for video? A video color profile shouldn't affect a DNG but on the original Mavic we saw that the DLOG profile did affect exposure levels.
2020-7-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there ChamberDrone. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please post sample photo that shows the said issue for us to be able to see and assist you further? Thank you.
2020-7-21
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Romania

Ex Machina Posted at 7-21 17:32
What you are likely seeing is the DJI processed jpeg preview file inside the DNG flash for a moment before the RAW file is rendered.
I gotta say that is quite a plausible explanation
2020-7-21
Use props
ChamberDrone
lvl.1
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 7-21 17:32

ChamberDrone, what color profile is being used for video? A video color profile shouldn't affect a DNG but on the original Mavic we saw that the DLOG profile did affect exposure levels.

I was using flat profile
2020-7-22
Use props
ChamberDrone
lvl.1
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-21 21:18
Hello there ChamberDrone. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Can you please post sample photo that shows the said issue for us to be able to see and assist you further? Thank you.

This is the Jpeg

And this is the DNG File
2020-7-22
Use props
crabfly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 52684 ft
United States

This thread and at least one other have reported that RAW 48mp photos appeared underexposed. I decided to review a series of photos I had taken a while ago.  They were taken one after another, mid day under sunny conditions, auto mode in both 12mp and 48mp  and saved in jpeg and dng.  From the file info I found all the shutter speeds and ISOs (100) were the same.  Using  the "photos" program  all the photos looked exactly the same (including exposure) on a FHD computer screen. The photos included 12mp and 48mp both in jpeg and dng.
2020-7-22
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

ChamberDrone Posted at 7-22 07:15
I was using flat profile

Might try a test using the standard color profile and then with the flat profile to see if that makes a difference.
2020-7-25
Use props
Arnaud Chabot
New

Belgium

Hello i ve exactly the same problem. Image in live view and jpeg are fine and well exposed but .Dng is very dark -3 exposure, it’s very annoying. I can’t see my files in lightroom and I must expose them. It happen less when I ve sky on the image. I m a photographer and I never be a problem like this before with my cameras.
2020-11-27
Use props
Taidghg96
New

Spain

Did you find a fix for this as mine has started do the same thing and dig files are underexposed and over saturated?
2021-4-23
Use props
djiuser_dOKhWynB6EWn
New
United States

Did you ever figure this out? This just started happening to me yesterday after a year of shooting raw and using lightroom.  It’s incredibly frustrating and I have not been able to find the answer online even after finding multiple threads from people experiencing this.
2021-9-27
Use props
Leonardo Lemos
New
Flight distance : 251864 ft
Portugal

same is happening to me. Does anyone know how to fix the problem?
2021-12-17
Use props
ChamberDrone
lvl.1
United States

Till this day my photos are still severely under exposed when shooting raw
2022-1-22
Use props
radiodust
lvl.1

United States

My DGNs are severely underexposed.... to the tune of 4 stops (adjusting in LR adds a ton of noise / grain)... is only when set to PRO mode... (AUTO mode is ok) - and I don't have any EV compensation applied.  This is in 48MP mode too.  Any ideas?
2022-2-11
Use props
Johnnysneds
New
Thailand

Hi All,

Ive been having the same issue. I come back from shooting with the drone and there are lots of under exposed photos, to the point that they cannot be re-covered. It happens to the .DNG and the JPEG file. It does not happen with any the pano shots or the Smart Photo function. At home I launched the drone and went through all the photo function. For reference I have RAW+JPEG selected.
First Photo Single Shot in Auto both the JPEG and RAW file correctly exposed.
Second Shot 48MP Shot in Auto both the RAW file and the JPEG correctly exposed.
Third Photo SMART shot in Auto (note Pro is not an option in this mode so its greyed out) - JPEG file correctly exposed.
Fourth Photo Single Shot in Pro Mode both the JPEG and the RAW file way under exposed, the RAW darker than the JPEG. Note I did not make any adjustments as the live view looked correctly exposed!
Fifth Photo 48MP Shot in Pro Mode both JPEG and RAW file way over-exposed, photo completely blown out. Again I did not make any adjustments and note that the live view was also completely over exposed and blown out.

So my conclusion the under-exposed photos issue is being created in "Single Shot" in "Pro" Mode only. What I think everyone is doing is taking photos what they think is in "Auto" Mode when in reality they are in "Pro" Mode. For some strange reason the Live View does not show the live exposure in Single Shot Pro Mode, why this is DJI will have to explain or someone more lens tech savvy than myself.

So to mitigate this happening ensure if you want to shoot in AUTO mode it actually says "Auto" on the bottom right of the screen. I must have been thinking I had to press the "AUTO" soft button to enable AUTO mode where in fact I was in Pro mode and under-exposing all my shots.

Try it for yourself and let me know how you get on. Hope this is of help to those pulling their hair out with badly underexposed photos.

Update: further to this, I have just reset Camera settings in the menu and now the Live View is now showing the exposure correctly.

Screenshot 2565-12-04 at 15.19.39.png
Screenshot 2565-12-04 at 15.21.13.png
2022-12-4
Use props
Ds67888
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10657192 ft
  • >>>
United States

mavic 3 is also underexposing by 2 stops; soloution?   davethedroneguy.com
2023-3-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Ds67888 Posted at 3-20 11:39
mavic 3 is also underexposing by 2 stops; soloution?   davethedroneguy.com

Post a full-size, original jpg file ... you'll have to upload to dropbox or similar and post a link here.
I'll have a look in the metadata to see if it explains your issue.
2023-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules