OSMO Pocket Photo preference
640 9 2020-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RobCass
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Just curios what people prefer for photos when they are also carry their Osmo Pocket (OP) for video?:
1) Osmo Pocket for both photos and videos
2) Smarphone for photos, OP for video
3) Stand alone camera (DSLR, Mirrorless, P&S) for photos and OP for Video.

I think I might be hitting the point of not wanting to carry my Sony mirrorless all day (OP low weight spoiled me on the video side).
But for low light, the OP sensor is a bit too noisy in low light for me with photos.
2020-7-21
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Pocket for time lapses and panoramas. Use a camera if planning on photos. The phone is handy for impromptu photos.
2020-7-21
Use props
Robb OConnor
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Osmo pocket for video and time lapse , photo wise I use it for panorama shots otherwise I use my iPhone 11. I only bring a larger camera when I intend to go out specifically to shoot a certain subject or event.
2020-7-22
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Robb OConnor Posted at 7-22 01:45
Osmo pocket for video and time lapse , photo wise I use it for panorama shots otherwise I use my iPhone 11. I only bring a larger camera when I intend to go out specifically to shoot a certain subject or event.

sounds familiar ...
2020-7-22
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this matter. I hope that our valued DJI members can provide you the best information for this query. Thank you.
2020-7-22
Use props
Robb OConnor
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Curt1591 Posted at 7-22 02:55
sounds familiar ...

Blimey yes it does ,Seems we are of a similar mind but there have been loads of times when I wish I had a big camera with me.  
2020-7-22
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

While the Osmo Pocket is a wonderful tool and capable of excellent results for its size it should be one of many tools used for what it is best at.
You can't beat physics. Large photo-sites of a large sensor is always going to win in noise battles. Then there is field of view which is fixed as is the aperture and focal length. A lot would depend on the quality of the results of the camera but I would not take most photos with an Osmo Pocket. Yes the weight of larger gear sucks and my full photography travel kit comes in at just over 35 Kg but I can't substitute it if that is what I need. Also for my needs with photography the Osmo Pocket is just not fast enough.
I know I couldn't take any of the following shots with the Osmo Pocket as great as it is.

2020-7-22
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I should have also added the Osmo Pocket has it's photography uses for some shots I also like taking. Such as the 3x3 mode.

2020-7-22
Use props
djiuser_4qnESHzXmGDW
lvl.2
United States

True it cannot do everything!

I use it for the 9 frame pano's to spectacular results.
The size makes it good for specialized filming uses.
Love that 4k 30 frame video mode!!

Otherwise I use my Samsung 8.

Good luck,
Bill
2020-7-23
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Since we're flashing our panos ...
Vortex.jpg
2020-7-23