Mavic Air 2 Tripod Mode -- too fast
10750 28 2020-7-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hshires
lvl.1
United States

Apologies if this has already been covered but, if so, I can't find it.  Just picked up a Mavic Air 2 after having used the Mavic Pro for the last 3 years. Overall the Air 2 is a great improvement in video/still image quality but I'm frustrated by the apparent excessive speed in Tripod Mode.  Is there a trick to slowing it down?  It seems so much faster than it is on the Mavic Pro as to be effectively useless for close up filming. Thanks in advance.
2020-7-21
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

There currently isn’t a way to change the speed or stick sensitivity.

However, make sure you actually are in Tripod mode. The Mavic Air 2 always takes off in Normal mode, regardless of what the switch on the flight controller is set to. Leave the switch on Normal, take off, and then switch to Tripod mode and see if that’s closer to what you were expecting.
2020-7-21
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yep, the above is unfortunately right. You have to switch to the mode you want after launch. Must be a bug,
2020-7-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble his has caused. With regards to this matter. I will forward this thread and concern to our designated DJI support team for further attention. Again, I am sorry for the trouble. Thank you.
2020-7-23
Use props
djiuser_eaezHky9yD9M
New

United States

I own a Mavic Air 2.  Has a solution been reached regarding the excessively fast speed in Tripod Mode?  Thanks.
2020-9-1
Use props
Silver31581
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2374357 ft
United States

I think the most recent firmware upgrade allows the user to adjust several of the parameters in the Tripod, Normal and Sport modes...
2020-9-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

will have to try it again but I agree once upon a time tripod mode was too fast.
2020-9-2
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

I find Tripod mode in the MA2 is like Normal in the Spark...yes, I would like it to be slower in the MA2.
2020-9-2
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

We need Expo controls on the right stick
2020-9-3
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 7-21 19:47
Yep, the above is unfortunately right. You have to switch to the mode you want after launch. Must be a bug,

No it's not a bug and it's actually a good implementation because lets say a noob starts off and it was set to sport previous flight....well then he would have problems taking off on new flight because he forgot that it was in sport mode.... so luckily the system will automatically revert to normal mode
2020-9-3
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Update to the latest FW and you can adjust the gimbal sensitivity and YAW speed/smoothness for each flight mode.
2020-9-3
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jimmy hoffa Posted at 9-3 18:57
No it's not a bug and it's actually a good implementation because lets say a noob starts off and it was set to sport previous flight....well then he would have problems taking off on new flight because he forgot that it was in sport mode.... so luckily the system will automatically revert to normal mode

Why would he have problems taking off? I use sport mode almost all time, including takeoff.
2020-9-4
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

I think some have missed the point here...  the right hand stick in Tripod mode allows too much speed.  We need expo controls to throttle that back.  I believe this was the point the OP was making.  It should crawl in Tripod mode.  You can adjust Normal mode to yaw like tripod, etc, but if you want the drone to fly 1mph, its tough because you have no adjustments on the right stick.

DJI, please consider this.  And I will continue to request Cinematic mode as per the M2 series.  
2020-9-4
Use props
fans47f481af
lvl.1
United States

Northwood Posted at 9-4 21:13
I think some have missed the point here...  the right hand stick in Tripod mode allows too much speed.  We need expo controls to throttle that back.  I believe this was the point the OP was making.  It should crawl in Tripod mode.  You can adjust Normal mode to yaw like tripod, etc, but if you want the drone to fly 1mph, its tough because you have no adjustments on the right stick.

DJI, please consider this.  And I will continue to request Cinematic mode as per the M2 series.

Yes, that is/was my point. The right hand stick in Tripod mode--I do change to Tripod mode after takeoff so that it truly switches into Tripod mode--just allows way too much speed.  I did install the latest firmware and no help.  Yes, I can take a deep breath and very carefully nudge the stick but the point of Tripod mode should be to allow easy slow flight around smaller objects and the Mavic Air 2 makes that goal difficult at best.  I can't believe there is any technical reason why it can't just mimic the behavior of the Mavic Pro for that purpose.
2020-9-5
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well said. Its too fast!
2020-9-5
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

wamuBugMe Posted at 9-5 21:49
You could always try some longer sticks until they add expo settings. I made some out of M4 x 25mm cap screws and a couple of rubber door stop caps.

Hey that's a good idea... I've learned to use the side on my thumb of the stick to move it ever so slightly, but being consistent is not always easy.
2020-9-11
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

Have you seen the new firmware update? look under control tab setting and it says Cinesmooth are back. We are having a air alert right now but plan on trying in A.M. with proper gear on for a short flight.
Sorry just connected drone and controller and flight mode selection with cinesmoot is not available for the Air2. Like mentioned by other pilots it was a cross over between Mini and Air2 until IDing drone.
It did seen a fairly quick of response to slowing down the Tripod request if at all
2020-9-11
Use props
godfather
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Maximum Speed on Mavic Air in Tripod Mode was 2 mph and on Mavic Air 2 it is 10 mph. That is considerably lower than max speed in normal and sport mode but I can't help but wonder why it is so much faster. I would always fly tripod mode on Mavic Air when I flew indoors which was quite often and I would not want to risk flying 10 mph indoors.  DJI wants me to send them my Mavic Air 2 for evaluation but I have a hunch that the rest of you are experiencing the same so why would I send it back and be without it for an unknown length of time. It would be great if they could modify the software so we could just dial in a max speed. I'm working a construction job right now where 10 mph looks really good.
2020-10-29
Use props
jampsu
lvl.3
Finland

Hey all!

I just bought longer sticks for MA2 controller but it didn't help much.
I've been flying Mavic pros for many years and i'm so disappointed with this ones tripod mode.
It's nearly impossible to fly near ground and obstacles to get good cinematic shots with MA2. It's so frustrated how fast and jerky this is.
I sure understand if someone  flies only high in the sky, so you obviously don't need any tripod mode for that kind of stuff.
But i'm using this drone like an normal camera with gimbal, trying to get slow and cinematic shots near the ground.

Is it really so hard to give us an update to fix this issue? Why DJI's every other drone has that proper tripod mode but Mavic Air 2 hasn't?
If i would have known, i would never bought MA2. I should have bought Mavic 2 Pro instead. I watched many many youtube reviews about this model before i made the decision.
Unfortunately no one mentioned about this flaw. Everyone just said that it's super easy to fly...

Please DJI, do something about this. Please make update and add to settings an option that allows to change tripod mode speed to extra slow / normal.
Is this too much to ask?
2021-3-21
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

jampsu Posted at 3-21 12:32
Hey all!

I just bought longer sticks for MA2 controller but it didn't help much.

With the yaw/gimbal speed and smoothness adjustments, it's been pretty smooth for me. This test video was done back in August when DJI introduced these settings. The entire video was shot in Normal mode.

2021-3-21
Use props
jampsu
lvl.3
Finland

Nice shots!

Yes, i have adjusted those settings and i'm quite happy with the yaw/gimbal smoothness. But when you are using the right stick to move, it's annoying fast. Need settings for those too.
Mavic pro was so easy an relaxing to operate. Like doing 360 around a trees was a piece of cake on the tripod mode. With MA2 it's nearly impossible for me to do. Not nice and smooth at all.
2021-3-21
Use props
jampsu
lvl.3
Finland

Just found this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEhZAoYKrIM

I must try something similar to smooth out the controls.

I find this situation very odd, because DJI is not responding their customers at all. So many people want that old tripod mode back.
Now there is not much difference at all between cine and normal modes. Maybe it's time to move some other brands drones. Or just buy an older DJI drone...
2021-5-17
Use props
benkombilife.com
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11250 ft
Jersey

BUMP - this is a bug. Tripod mode doesn’t allow you to fly slow enough. It’s way too fast, it was easy on other drones, but MA2 is practically useless without this feature for me.
PLEASE FIX IT DJI
2021-7-5
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4
Flight distance : 721555 ft

Hong Kong

jampsu Posted at 5-17 05:19
Just found this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEhZAoYKrIM

I must try something similar to smooth out the controls.

Guys, I've just made a video with a better solution. It's like 5 minutes or so. And I promise that you can get your slower tripod mode back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxsQzRDzD4M

It's easy, free, reversible, and it wouldn't void your warranty. It doesn't even need any sort of hardware modding, and it just WORKS.
2021-7-12
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Guys, I've just made a video with a better solution. It's like 5 minutes or so. And I promise that you can get your slower tripod mode back:

It's easy, free, reversible, and it wouldn't void your warranty. It doesn't even need any sort of hardware modding, and it just WORKS. It brings the speed limit of CINE / TRIPOD mode to 1.5m/s, which is slightly more agile than the original 1m/s setting and yet can do very precise moves.
Original Tripod Mode: 1m/s limit
Mavic Air 2 / 2S CINE Mode: 5m/s limit
My Method: 1.5m/s limit. With optional steps you can also achieve 1m/s.

Actually, I can even bring the speed down even further, and I've tried it too. I've achieved <1m/s, but for me the 1.5m/s limit is more useful, so I simply skipped on how to achieve <1m/s speed.
2021-7-12
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 30364 ft
United Kingdom

Normal and Cinematic mode is recommended for close up shots (unless the object being shot is also moving fast)
2021-7-12
Use props
Alvara74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 30364 ft
United Kingdom

FriedChicken_II Posted at 7-12 04:55

That would be a great help to pilots. Thank you!
2021-7-12
Use props
jampsu
lvl.3
Finland

FriedChicken_II Posted at 7-12 04:59

OMG! You are my hero!

Just tested this one, and i can confirm that this works! I'm so happy now.
My Mavic Air 2 is now worlds greatest drone ever! Now it's perfect, thank you so much!

Luckily there are people like you still there.

2021-7-12
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4

Japan

jampsu Posted at 7-12 09:59
OMG! You are my hero!

Just tested this one, and i can confirm that this works! I'm so happy now.

Please share this method to anyone that you've met who shared our problems XD

Good flying pal!
2021-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules