High speed without insane stick sensitivity
757 8 2020-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

The MA2 really needs the expo settings on the sticks. The left stick in particular (its side action for turning the drone) is literally useless in sport mode for getting any usable shots. It is sooo damn sensitive, no matter how gently I use it it turns a lot. The gimbal pitching up and down is in a similar situation, I really don't want it to change with the mode, I much rather have it the way it was on the Mini where I could dial it in, set smoothness, get used to it and have perfect control over it at all time. I was doing some tracking of my car and I had to go into Sports mode to have the drone keep up at ~35-40km/h and it was next to impossible to make any sort of adjustments without ruining the shot.

Please consider adding expo settings for both sticks and gimbal. And separate drone top speed from these. Just because I need to fly forwards "fast" (i'm putting it in quotes because tracking at 35-40km/h is not really that fast) doesn't mean I need to be able to make 360 turns in one second. And even if you do have that rotation speed on full stick, there's no reason to not have a better expo setting and have the drone rotate slowly when pushing the stick very gently.
2020-7-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think they will add expo, but in sport mode no dji drone has what you could call good yaw or roll sensitivity, in fact I have found Air2 so much better than M2P for fluid movements and M2 has sensitivity and Expo, with P4pro it’s also almost impossible to get smooth movements unless flying straight.

Using Tripod or N mode and speeding up footage in post is probably going to give you best smoothest footage. They will add it but I don’t think it will make any improvements in sport mode,  I think all dji advice is not to record in sport mode.
Maybe you know of other drones that handle this better but I don't .
2020-7-22
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

yeah, i normally shoot in N or T but this time it was just not possible for the reason I stated. Hopefully they'll reconsider.
2020-7-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ice_2k Posted at 7-22 04:46
yeah, i normally shoot in N or T but this time it was just not possible for the reason I stated. Hopefully they'll reconsider.

It will come, and if it takes time and is improved it might be worth waiting for.
2020-7-22
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for sharing your personal insights regarding this matter. I will forward this thread and suggestion to the designated DJI team for further attention. Thank you.
2020-7-22
Use props
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1404308 ft
Norway

Since getting my MA2 a month ago I've been flying a lot (~15 hours) and working real hard on trying to get the movements smooth, as well as getting certain moves "into the fingers". The potential is obvious, because the drone is amazingly capable. But not always being able to do simple movements consistently can be frustrating and probably I just suck and everyone has fingers as nimble as master musicians.

Take a simple move forward and rise type "reveal" move in "N" where you slowly let go of the forward pitch and then yaw to either direction to get a sweeping panning shot when desired altitude is reached. You want as much forward pitch and throttle speed as possible really, lest the clip be too slow. Yet, as forward momentum drops, suddenly the pitch becomes very sensitive resulting in a ruined shot as the drone rotates super fast and unevenly. Sometimes I'm able to do it nicely, but it feels more like luck than skill with the sticks.

I've found three workarounds, none of which are ideal. Snap the drone over in "T" mode before the panning, which requires some finger gymnastics, do the whole thing in T and speed up footage, or let the drone come to a complete halt letting go of the sticks, and then do the yaw pan movement and if needed cut out a small portion of the clip.  

It shouldn't have to be this hard with such an agile, clever device such as this. Additionally, it's a camera drone - the sole purpose is filming and photographing and we need flexibility and adjustability to tweak the drone to our own skills and preferences.
2020-7-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

M4cr0s Posted at 7-23 03:01
Since getting my MA2 a month ago I've been flying a lot (~15 hours) and working real hard on trying to get the movements smooth, as well as getting certain moves "into the fingers". The potential is obvious, because the drone is amazingly capable. But not always being able to do simple movements consistently can be frustrating and probably I just suck and everyone has fingers as nimble as master musicians.

Take a simple move forward and rise type "reveal" move in "N" where you slowly let go of the forward pitch and then yaw to either direction to get a sweeping panning shot when desired altitude is reached. You want as much forward pitch and throttle speed as possible really, lest the clip be too slow. Yet, as forward momentum drops, suddenly the pitch becomes very sensitive resulting in a ruined shot as the drone rotates super fast and unevenly. Sometimes I'm able to do it nicely, but it feels more like luck than skill with the sticks.

I think you have an age old problem with your drone, all drones are similar with some really bad and others not so bad, overall dji have a great reputation as having by far the smoothest of all consumer drones, their drone are improving all the time. I think if you look at professional cinematic drone footage you will see most used footage is straight flying forward back left right, this is not by design but by limitations and how you get best footage.
I know guys who cover fast moving sports and these guys use more intricate movements, I can tell you a lot of these guys use Atti mode and this is for that very reason they do have amazing finger dexterity and hand eye coordination, so practice practice practice and buy an inspire2 with a camera that has in body stabilization haha....
2020-7-23
Use props
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1404308 ft
Norway

hallmark007 Posted at 7-23 03:29
I think you have an age old problem with your drone, all drones are similar with some really bad and others not so bad, overall dji have a great reputation as having by far the smoothest of all consumer drones, their drone are improving all the time. I think if you look at professional cinematic drone footage you will see most used footage is straight flying forward back left right, this is not by design but by limitations and how you get best footage.
I know guys who cover fast moving sports and these guys use more intricate movements, I can tell you a lot of these guys use Atti mode and this is for that very reason they do have amazing finger dexterity and hand eye coordination, so practice practice practice and buy an inspire2 with a camera that has in body stabilization haha....

I might be expecting too much

Been a photog for many years, so I'm kinda used to battling with gear getting it to exactly as "I" want or rather, put what I have in my stubborn mind into actual pixels.

By all means, getting good stuff out of the MA2 and for instance the gimbal works incredibly well. This is an amazing tool. I guess we all want those long, smooth perfect one-take shots that is just to drop on the timeline and hit export ;)   
2020-7-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

M4cr0s Posted at 7-23 03:44
I might be expecting too much

Been a photog for many years, so I'm kinda used to battling with gear getting it to exactly as "I" want or rather, put what I have in my stubborn mind into actual pixels.

I think maybe if or when they release SDK we might see waypoints, companies like litchi for $20 or so Offer a really good waypoint program and with some home planning you can get really nice smooth footage, but just like battling with gear you can battle with software to create really good stuff with most if not all dji drones.
2020-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules