Advice on Wind Resistance with a Mavic Pro
3539 13 2020-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
xRaiden193x
lvl.1
Flight distance : 425840 ft
Guatemala

So I have over 22 hours of flight with my wonderful Mavic Pro and never had any problems in terms of flight. I have had it for about a year and a half and I actually use it for work a lot. Anyway, I think in the past 10 flights or so, I have had issues with Wind resistance. The Winds haven't been more than 18 Kilometers per Hour or about 12 MPH. Hell I have even seen it take higher winds before.
Anyway I have 2 suspicious, one is because I haven't done proper maintanence to the batteries and secondly my conspiracy mind tells me it is DJI slowing down the Mavics so you get the Pro 2 through updates. I really hope it isn't that but I was wondering if someone here has had dealt with that and any advice would be great.

2020-7-22
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try doing an IMU calibration or even a vision sensor calibration. When my MP
was having speed issues those two thing helped. Also check your props.
2020-7-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I think in the past 10 flights or so, I have had issues with Wind resistance. The Winds haven't been more than 18 Kilometers per Hour or about 12 MPH. Hell I have even seen it take higher winds before.
You really need to give some more details to understand what you are talking about.
What issue have you had to make you think you "have issues with wind resistance"?
How accurate is your wind speed ?
What did you observe?
If you want to find out what's really happening, you need to post some flight data.

Anyway I have 2 suspicious, one is because I haven't done proper maintanence to the batteries
The only issue you could have batteries would be flight time, not ability to deal with wind.

secondly my conspiracy mind tells me it is DJI slowing down the Mavics so you get the Pro 2 through updates.

That's just ridiculous.
It would be the craziest marketing scheme.
If you thought your drone was slow, you'd be more likely to buy from a different manufacturer.from a manufacturer that did that?
If it was the case, it would have been noticed and complained about loudly in the forum (and it hasn't).
2020-7-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would check the props,  if they are aging they might be loosing their shape slightly.
2020-7-23
Use props
xRaiden193x
lvl.1
Guatemala

You really need to give some more details to understand what you are talking about.
What issue have you had to make you think you "have issues with wind resistance"?
What did you observe?
If you want to find out what's really happening, you need to post some flight data.

Well, I get a notification when I am flying with winds around 18 kilometers per hours warning me to bring down the craft because of "high winds" when I have flown it in the past with more intense winds. I never got this warning ever in the time that I have owned it which is a year.

That's just ridiculous.
It would be the craziest marketing scheme.
If you thought your drone was slow, you'd be more likely to buy from a different manufacturer.from a manufacturer that did that?
If it was the case, it would have been noticed and complained about loudly in the forum (and it hasn't).

It isn't ridiculous at all to think a company would do that. Your beloved Apple was taken to court AND fined for slowing down older generation Iphones. So I think it isn't "ridiculous" to think that other companies would do that. Like I said, I never said they did, I just suggest it as we have seen before with other companies which is true. I like DJI and my drone has been top notch quality, but I am not blind enough to discard the idea.
I think some pictures of the props to show you guys, maybe you can give me some feedback. These are the original props I have had the drone since April 2019 so more than a year of using them with over 22 hours of flight time. I never changed them because I was completely unaware about them. I thought you were only supposed to change them if they broke or something like that. I didn't know they bend up and can cause these sort of problems. I am not sure but can anyone confirm this?

20200723_182224-min-min.jpg 20200723_182211-min-min.jpg

2020-7-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

xRaiden193x Posted at 7-23 17:06

Well, I get a notification when I am flying with winds around 18 kilometers per hour
That's just a blanket notification based on the wind speed and is completely unrelated to the performance of your drone.
So you haven't observed any actual poor performance of the drone ... just that warning?

If you are concerned that the performance of your drone has deteriorated, the simple and obvious thing to do is check the speed it can achieve.
Is it still doing the same speed (in still air) as the specs indicate it should?
If it is, there's no issue.
If it isn't, then look deeper to find why.

It isn't ridiculous at all to think a company would do that.

Really it is ridiculous.
It's not something that would make users choose to upgrade.
And like I suggested, if it was happening, it would have been obvious and discovered long ago and the forum would be full of loud complaints (but it isn't).

I like DJI and my drone has been top notch quality, but I am not blind enough to discard the idea.

Discard that idea, it doesn't stand up to analysis.

2020-7-23
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Put Mavic Pro in Sport Mode and Fly it directly into Wind, noting speed.  Fly back with Wind, noting speed.  Average of two noted speeds should be close to Mavic Pro's Specs for maximum speed in sports mode.
2020-7-23
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. Kindly please refresh the firmware of the DJI Mavic Pro using the DJI assistant 2 and after this step please calibrate the IMU and check for any deformity on the propellers to isolate the issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-7-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-23 20:30
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. Kindly please refresh the firmware of the DJI Mavic Pro using the DJI assistant 2 and after this step please calibrate the IMU and check for any deformity on the propellers to isolate the issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.

I am sorry for the trouble this has caused.
Why are you apologising when there's nothing to apologise for?
There is no problem at all, just a flyer who imagined a problem without any evidence.
Since there's no problem, refreshing firmware, recalibrating anything etc won't achieve anything and is completely unnecessary.
2020-7-23
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Have you ever cleaned a fan blade on a common box fan?  It makes a tremendous difference in the efficiency of the fan.  Same goes for props.  That's why airplanes have de-icers.  I see you have "fuzzy" edges on the props.  Sure they work, but you need to replace them for max efficiency.  Nicks and uneven edges will cut into performance (and balance).  And when you replace props, do them all at once.  New, DJI props.  Also, check your settings.  If you have gone into settings and adjusted things for smoother videos (like getting rid of quick movements, being able to make smooth turns, etc.) you may have slowed down performance.  Mine is slow too. I've set it that way so that I can make very slow and smooth directional changes.

Since you are getting high wind warnings, you're pushing your environment and should expect less performance.  Don't forget, the wind is likely blowing much harder where the drone is up in the air, than down on the ground where you are.  Very common.  I sometimes take off and find conditions a little too much 100 feet in the air when they are very tolerable down below.  Like any aircraft, the drone doesn't care what conditions are where you are standing.  It cares what is has to fly in where it is.

Just a couple of things to consider, and I'm sure there are more.

2020-7-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

xRaiden193x Posted at 7-23 17:06

I own an old now Mavic pro, it flys at the same speed as when I got it which is pretty good, so you’ll now know that unless dji singled a few out for changes which is frankly ridiculous, no internal changes to external drones were made.

Wind warnings, yes they have changed over the lifetime of the drone particularly when FW optimizations were introduced, but yes it does sometimes seem a little to finely tuned, but as you say yourself you know the speed of the wind and how fast your traveling so you can work it out.

Regards to conspiracy to implement changes to control your drone, your not the first to come up with that one and you probably won’t be the last, but one thing is common with this is it’s not very common with most users.
2020-7-24
Use props
xRaiden193x
lvl.1
Guatemala

Thanks for all the suggestings I have replaced the Propellers and will be doing all the optimizations recommended. I forgot to mention that even on 50 - 75 meter range the drone would fly against the wind super slow like 4 to 6 kph which has never happened before and then I'd get the notification.
2020-7-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

xRaiden193x Posted at 7-24 04:55
Thanks for all the suggestings I have replaced the Propellers and will be doing all the optimizations recommended. I forgot to mention that even on 50 - 75 meter range the drone would fly against the wind super slow like 4 to 6 kph which has never happened before and then I'd get the notification.

I forgot to mention that even on 50 - 75 meter range the drone would fly against the wind super slow like 4 to 6 kph which has never happened before and then I'd get the notification.

If you are concerned that your drone might have "slowed down", the first thing you need to do is test to discover if it really has.
The important question is:  How fast will it fly?
Until you look into that, it's a waste of effort doing anything else.
You need to understand its baseline performance to be able to tell if anything has improved.
2020-7-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

xRaiden193x Posted at 7-24 04:55

Did you try suggested going out In to wind and returning With the wind test to check speed of your drone in Sport mode?
2020-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules