Smart Controller and Mavic Air 2? When?
12Next >
6048 43 2020-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans5574534e
lvl.2
United States

Everyone that owns the Smart Controller and the Mavic Air 2 would like to know when the firmware update will be released to fly the Air 2 with this Smart Controller? I do understand the delay abit because of the pandemic. Maybe just a driver perhap's and the download link for the APP? Please keep us in the loop.
2020-7-23
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Yes agreed. We need some communication.
2020-7-23
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Agreed - it has been three months now - luckily I am yet to pull the trigger on the SC and have been holding out for this update. I'm sure it will come.
2020-7-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have given. As of the moment, we do not have any information on the exact date or when will the DJI Smart Controller be compatible with the DJI Mavic Air 2. Kindly please stay tuned to the latest updates by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). In addition, the DJI Mavic Air 2 will be compatible with the DJI Smart Controller through a future firmware update. Thank you for your understanding.
2020-7-23
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI rarely ever gives forward looking statements for future products or future product updates.  

Just for comparison, DJI released a beta for the SC to work with the Phantom 4 Pro v2 back in March 2019 that worked great.  However, it wasn't until January 2020 when they finally officially released the final firmware publicly.  So, with DJI, get used to waiting without any details.  Cheers!
2020-7-23
Use props
Dougflysafe
lvl.1
United States

I just purchased the Smart Controller with the intent of using it with my one week old mavic air 2. I made that decision based on the well known statement  indicating the firmware was on the way in a couple weeks. Anyway here I sit with a $750 paper weight. I tried contacting DJI but all you get is a computer generated response "Following the County of Los Angeles "Safer at Home Order For Control of COVID-19" and the Executive Order from the State of California to stay at home, and in following the guidance on how to prevent the spread of COVID-19 from the California Department of Public Health, we regret to inform you that we have decided to minimize our repair operations in California. Some product repairs and shipment times are expected to be delayed or suspended. Thank you for your understanding and support."Following the County of Los Angeles "Safer at Home Order For Control of COVID-19" and the Executive Order from the State of California to stay at home, and in following the guidance on how to prevent the spread of COVID-19 from the California Department of Public Health, we regret to inform you that we have decided to minimize our repair operations in California. Some product repairs and shipment times are expected to be delayed or suspended. Thank you for your understanding and support."  Not a very reassuring...
2020-7-28
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dougflysafe Posted at 7-28 11:21
I just purchased the Smart Controller with the intent of using it with my one week old mavic air 2. I made that decision based on the well known statement  indicating the firmware was on the way in a couple weeks. Anyway here I sit with a $750 paper weight. I tried contacting DJI but all you get is a computer generated response "Following the County of Los Angeles "Safer at Home Order For Control of COVID-19" and the Executive Order from the State of California to stay at home, and in following the guidance on how to prevent the spread of COVID-19 from the California Department of Public Health, we regret to inform you that we have decided to minimize our repair operations in California. Some product repairs and shipment times are expected to be delayed or suspended. Thank you for your understanding and support."Following the County of Los Angeles "Safer at Home Order For Control of COVID-19" and the Executive Order from the State of California to stay at home, and in following the guidance on how to prevent the spread of COVID-19 from the California Department of Public Health, we regret to inform you that we have decided to minimize our repair operations in California. Some product repairs and shipment times are expected to be delayed or suspended. Thank you for your understanding and support."  Not a very reassuring...

lucky for you a phone call isn't necessary when you can get the best answers possible right here in this forum.
2020-7-28
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dougflysafe Posted at 7-28 11:21
I just purchased the Smart Controller with the intent of using it with my one week old mavic air 2. I made that decision based on the well known statement  indicating the firmware was on the way in a couple weeks. Anyway here I sit with a $750 paper weight. I tried contacting DJI but all you get is a computer generated response "Following the County of Los Angeles "Safer at Home Order For Control of COVID-19" and the Executive Order from the State of California to stay at home, and in following the guidance on how to prevent the spread of COVID-19 from the California Department of Public Health, we regret to inform you that we have decided to minimize our repair operations in California. Some product repairs and shipment times are expected to be delayed or suspended. Thank you for your understanding and support."Following the County of Los Angeles "Safer at Home Order For Control of COVID-19" and the Executive Order from the State of California to stay at home, and in following the guidance on how to prevent the spread of COVID-19 from the California Department of Public Health, we regret to inform you that we have decided to minimize our repair operations in California. Some product repairs and shipment times are expected to be delayed or suspended. Thank you for your understanding and support."  Not a very reassuring...

I keep hearing people say that DJI had said a couple of weeks for the firmware, but I've personally never seen anything directly from DJI say that.  Do you have a link to a quote where DJI said that?

From day 1, the Mavic Air 2 FAQ (https://www.dji.com/mavic-air-2/faq) has said this on this topic:
"Is Mavic Air 2 compatible with the Smart Controller?
Yes. Mavic Air 2 will be compatible with the Smart Controller through a future firmware update."

Everywhere I've seen DJI talk about this, they have been very non-specific on the timeline.  
2020-7-31
Use props
djiuser_uVDzVTc5oRwl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 364 ft
United States

All we're looking for is a positive response that the firmware update is in the works, and a "targeted"  timeframe as to when it will be available. That's not an unrealistic "ask", as many companies provides this information to their customers. Why can't DJI?
2020-7-31
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Although they never said a few weeks, I am starting to believe this may never happen.  They probably ran into some snags being DJI Fly is 64 bit.  Although capable of 64, currently the SC is 32.  Starting to wonder if a new SC is in the works.
2020-7-31
Use props
Sascha.ES
lvl.4
Germany

It's China. You can't believe anything. The Chinese can't do anything, especially software.
2020-7-31
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I think everyone should give up already and if it happens see it as bonus
2020-7-31
Use props
Sascha.ES
lvl.4
Germany

In the meantime, I hope that Europe is also thinking about China. Trump is not always ideal with his decisions, but he seems to know more than what is being said in public in Europe. Germany unfortunately lives a lot from exports! What is happening in Hong Kong is not acceptable. One should start to think that Europe will produce many goods in the future, even if they are more expensive. This cannot go on like this.
The same is true of drones. Alternatives are coming, even if you are spoiled now. It would do us all good. I have bought many drones from DJI and almost all of them have been a disaster in terms of software maintenance.
2020-7-31
Use props
Dougflysafe
lvl.1
United States

Well I did get a response from DJI after a week here's what they indicated.  "Hi Doug,  Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.  I apologize if it does not meet your expectation. We perfectly understand your disappointments and your frustrations and I would feel the same way if I were in your situation. Currently our engineers are working on the latest firmware update. You will be notified once a new firmware is available to use the Smart Controller"
2020-8-1
Use props
donovansevillanohotmail.com
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6342037 ft
  • >>>
Spain

First of all notice that I use google translator:

Dji europe has told me that the update is scheduled for August 17.

there are more very important updates.
DJI SMART CONTROLLER

It will be compatible with the Litchi APP. a third party application to make waypoints etc.

The update is working to optimize the battery so that it lasts 30% longer in the controller.

17% more brightness on the screen.

And officially support DJI GOOGLE STORE

Also as in the case of its older brother, the range of the mavic air 2 and the dji smart controller will be improved.

They are going to use the WiFi signal from the DJI SMART CONTRLLER to connect to the mavic mini. When using a standard Wi-Fi signal it will only have a range of 30 meters.

And many of the options and buttons of the dji smart controller will not be compatible with the mavic mini due to its limitations. But this is already a big step

They also say that this update is for both the smart controller and the dji mavic air 2. both must be updated.

After this update in Europe, it will be mandatory to have the drone registration activated so that other users can see and locate the drone from their smart phone.

All of this is scheduled for August 17.
2020-8-1
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

^I hope you are right but it's sounds a bit optimistic.
2020-8-1
Use props
FlyRacer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 281880 ft
  • >>>
Germany

donovansevillanohotmail.com Posted at 8-1 09:17

I dont believe that
2020-8-1
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

To everyone who Doesn't have the Smart Controller, being able to see the screen under nearly all conditions is great.  It makes it easy to setup the composition.  It also makes it quicker to start from everything packed up and turned off.  You can use your phone separately.

Also, don't expect to have better range w/ the Smart Controller.

Note, I did have it crash on me once, just once making my drone lose signal and RTH.  Screen was grey for a long time, RTH was set as it was beeping but still grey then it said, app crashed so it restarted and saw the drone landed where it took off from which is why DJI is great.
2020-8-6
Use props
DG Boiler
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39938 ft
United States

Ahem!

Check the calendar my friend.

Sorry.
2020-8-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DG Boiler Posted at 8-17 11:35
Ahem!

Check the calendar my friend.

It’s still the 17th except in Australia.
2020-8-17
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5782297 ft
  • >>>
United States

Any update on this?
2020-8-20
Use props
djiuser_6P92ue6qQmvE
lvl.1

United States

would be able to work with ma2 within weeks when the controller was released in 2019, I now have cyrstalsky and the smart controller and neither of these high dollar machines seem anywhere near worth keeping.if its not going to happen at least be good enough to tell us so we can stop looking for it!
2020-8-22
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_6P92ue6qQmvE Posted at 8-22 21:11
would be able to work with ma2 within weeks when the controller was released in 2019, I now have cyrstalsky and the smart controller and neither of these high dollar machines seem anywhere near worth keeping.if its not going to happen at least be good enough to tell us so we can stop looking for it!

The Mavic Air 2 wasn't released in 2019, so how could they promise support for it?  Also, DJI has never publicly provided a timeline for support of the SC for the MA2.  They have only mentioned "in a future firmware update", but have not mentioned a timeline.  

It will come at some point, but there is no use in getting worked up about it.  DJI rarely (almost never) provides a timeline for future updates.  I wouldn't expect that to change in this case either.  It will come when it comes.  And yes, I'm eager for it to support it as well.  I already have the SC that I use with my M2P and I HATE flying with my phone as I currently have to with the MA2!.
2020-8-22
Use props
djiuser_uVDzVTc5oRwl
lvl.2
United States

I appreciate your comments KlooGee, but this is a critical "oversight" on the part of DJI. I think it is only fair for DJI to provide their loyal Customers with some timeline. I can also imagine that it is costing them some bucks as well, not being able to support this.
2020-8-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_uVDzVTc5oRwl Posted at 8-23 05:53
I appreciate your comments KlooGee, but this is a critical "oversight" on the part of DJI. I think it is only fair for DJI to provide their loyal Customers with some timeline. I can also imagine that it is costing them some bucks as well, not being able to support this.

I think it is only fair for DJI to provide their loyal Customers with some timeline.
See if you can understand that DJI can't give you a timeline because they have no idea when (or if) the difficulties will ever be worked out.
Obviously it wasn't as simple to fix as was hoped.
If it hasn't happened by now, perhaps it never will.
2020-8-23
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

in about another month, I would suggest the wait and anticipation is about over.  we already have less than half the summer remaining and for a lot of people in the northern hemisphere, excessive bright sunlight is rapidly decreasing by the day.  I could have really used a nice bright screen last month when I actually had to stop flying for the day because it was too much trouble trying to manage operations on a dim iPhone screen.

unlike last decade, a consumer drone today will never be a truly great drone as long as it requires a smart phone in order to fly.  I already have a scm so the wait is different for me compared to the thousands of new flyers who most definitely won't be interested in paying big bucks just to continue flying their months "old" drone for the few weeks left in the year if the software release shows up in October.  better late than never but personally I think this (and the goggles) has been a negative mark on an otherwise fantastic "consumer drone of the year" is you can count 2020 as a real year.
2020-8-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

djiuser_uVDzVTc5oRwl Posted at 8-23 05:53
I appreciate your comments KlooGee, but this is a critical "oversight" on the part of DJI. I think it is only fair for DJI to provide their loyal Customers with some timeline. I can also imagine that it is costing them some bucks as well, not being able to support this.

I suppose they may look at it like this. We give no timeline because we cannot pinpoint sufficiently, this causes some to complain on forums etc. Or we give a timeline pluck it out of thin air post it, and when we fail to meet the timeline, we have 10 times the amount of people complaining and whining on forums social media etc. better for them to choose second option less complaining.
2020-8-23
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Come on DJI. Lets get the smart controller going for the Mavic Air 2.
2020-8-30
Use props
djiuser_uVDzVTc5oRwl
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-23 06:58
I think it is only fair for DJI to provide their loyal Customers with some timeline.
See if you can understand that DJI can't give you a timeline because they have no idea when (or if) the difficulties will ever be worked out.
Obviously it wasn't as simple to fix as was hoped.

"Dear DJI Mavic Air 2 and Smart Controller owner, we regret to inform you that we will not be offering a firmware upgrade that ill allow these two devices to work together......." Not so hard!!
2020-8-30
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_uVDzVTc5oRwl Posted at 8-30 13:25
"Dear DJI Mavic Air 2 and Smart Controller owner, we regret to inform you that we will not be offering a firmware upgrade that ill allow these two devices to work together......." Not so hard!!

don't think they have given up just late...but yeah, it's getting pretty l-a-t-e.
2020-8-30
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Another month and still waiting!!!
2020-8-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ZeuS-FL Posted at 8-30 21:40
Another month and still waiting!!!

It would be helpful for a moderator to row in here with some information. Is it still coming ? , is it even possible and why did almost all you tube influencers announce it would come with first FW so driving sales of SC for new Air2 users, who are now left with a very expensive paperweight .
2020-8-31
Use props
StrunkinPhotos
lvl.1
United States

I agree; I have told several folks that have asked me about my MA2 to wait until DJI makes it compatible with their smart controller.  Because taking my phone out and putting it back into its ruggedized case when hiking to a remote drone location is not fun.  It's not fun doing it when I am flying around the local area.
2020-9-4
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I pulled out my scm today to fly m2z and it's looking pretty used.  btw the time I get to use it with my ma2, it might be shot.  pretty sad.

still, my ma2 is not getting a whole bunch of use because I fly all my other 2 drones with bright screens and the ma2 is the only screen I have trouble with.  takes all the fun out of flying.
2020-9-5
Use props
ZeuS-FL
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

This is ridiculous. When DJI finally will release the Firmware to make compatible the MA2 !!!!!
2020-9-11
Use props
djiuser_yWhKaoM2wSMG
lvl.4
France

2020-9-13
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3148419 ft
  • >>>
United States

Perhaps DJI is adding support for the Mini, and that is causing the delay.
2020-9-14
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Spazoo Posted at 9-14 18:29
Perhaps DJI is adding support for the Mini, and that is causing the delay.

no sir, the mini will never work with the smart controller
2020-9-14
Use props
ichbinjetztda
lvl.1
Flight distance : 183173 ft
Germany

The Saint Posted at 9-14 19:48
no sir, the mini will never work with the smart controller

Lest mal da ....Upgrad kommt ende September 2020
https://www.dein-drohnenpilot.de/dji-mavic-air-2-dji-smart-controller-kompatibel/#comment-3565
2020-9-14
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ichbinjetztda Posted at 9-14 23:58
Lest mal da ....Upgrad kommt ende September 2020
https://www.dein-drohnenpilot.de/dji-mavic-air-2-dji-smart-controller-kompatibel/#comment-3565

so we have a couple of dji employees promising to deliver the software in september after being tortured and beaten into submission (to provide a firm date) by angry german forum members holding a smart controller still waiting to fly ma2.  sounds like the dji employees honestly feel the dev team should publish the date publicly and perhaps "some time in september" is finally the date we are looking for (sep 30) and I know many of us will be totally happy when it comes but as I mentioned, the mini will never happen you can forget about that. ;)
2020-9-15
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules