Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Sphere: No pictures saved, in case Pano gets interrupted?
1637 8 2020-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Weird thing happened today!
(Edit: Found out that EVEREY move on the sticks seems to kill the process! And all pictures gone)
Topic, WHY they should always be saved to the SD card! (imho)

I do save for Spheres the jpgs, so I usually have a "Air2 generated Sphere" and the 26 pictures.
Today I got a "critical battery landing" during the last 2 or three 3 (25m up, 25meters away, about)
Which I find anyway "very safe", with 10% battery on a 30 minutes battery, but ok, it is a failsafe.

And of course, I did not expect to have a "Air2 generated Sphere", but I expected to have the single pictures in a folder on the SD card
But there is nothing.
Even the file number is used for the first video on the next battery.

Is the Air saving these pictures ONLY after generating a Sphere?
Because of the "speedy" picture taking?
I  assume, the bird is using some RAM or the internal storage for caching, but why isn't it stored after an interruption on the external SD card?

How is it, if people interrupt a Sphere for some reasons, the pictures are gone, too?
Can it be, they are still "somewhere"? (internal 8GB, perhaps?)

Not that it matters, today. I can get them tomorrow, that is not a difficult location to go to.
But since I know now, that "they are gone, if anything stops the Pano", ...

Thanks for hints!

2020-7-23
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm presuming that when you look at the shutter icon on the screen whilst the sphere is being created by the drone it reaches 50% when done taking the shots then takes another 50% to stitch and save the files. If the low battery RTH/critical battery warning ended the creation of the sphere before completion then nothing would have saved.
2020-7-23
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

Yeah, I noticed this too, kinda weird, I'm assuming it's storing them as temporary photos (maybe on the internal memory or maybe even in RAM) to be later used when composing the final image and only saving them at the end, after generating the pano jpg. I had this happen by hitting RTH on the RC after the drone finished taking the photos and while it was generating the final file. Since flying works while the drone is busy generating, I assumed RTH-ing would also work. I was quite surprised to discover that when I hit RTH it dropped everything and left no images behind.
2020-7-23
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

Thanks for answering!
So the pictures getting saved  only AFTER  the "in-bird" Pano got created.

DJI, I can see that this may come from the default setting: only the Sphere picture gets saved
But it should be different, as soon user wanna have the pictures anyway!
PLEASE!
I often do (did, then!) one full Sphere and after that another half to 2/3, to not overexpose the sunny side.
Aside that if even a RTH will stop the bird from creating and saving, AFTER taking all 26 pictures:
That is not really logic!
2020-7-23
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

Today again. And I have NO idea, why it even interrupted the auto pano creating!

DJI, whatever let the Air 2 interrupt the creating process for the Panos: The Fw NEED to save the single shots!
2020-7-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi S-e-ven, I will forward your feedback to our engineers to notice, thank you for bringing this to our attention.
2020-7-27
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

It seems like :
Do not touch/move the sticks, during the process of taking, stitching and saving the pictures is a workaround.
Or a "You must not touch ...  ", which I have not found in the manual, yet!
2020-7-27
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

wamuBugMe Posted at 7-27 12:27
It is probably done this way so that it can take all of the pictures before there are any significant changes to the scenery. Then it saves the pano first because that's what the operator was trying to capture. The average user doesn't have much use for the single shots, just the pros that want to create their own pano.

And I can already hear the complaints if it stopped to save each photo to the SD card... "Dear DJI, why must the drone stop between each picture of a pano? It's taking forever and all I got was a bunch of single shots when I had to hit RTH.  That's not logical!"

Thanks for your pov.

But I think you are missing the/my point(s)! ;-)

By accident/a wrong touch on the RC, you are going to lose ALL options to have any picture.
Just (that's what I "found" the other day) touching a stick kills the process?
That is a bit much safety ("Airplane coming in"), isn't it?
Pushing the RTH button, switching between modes, that worked all very well on former DJI's.
To get out of a mode, pano, mission, you name it.

I am not saying, that the bird need to save them right away.
(The spark and others did that, costy 2 minutes batt. time for 46 pictures!)
But: You had always the pictures, even if the bird stopped (you stopped) taking them.
And think about: 50% of a Sphere is a 180° Pano, 2-3  vertical Panos , one/some nice wideangle pictures

I am just asking why the bird has to delete all pictures, in case something is stopping the Process between 0-100%
Taking pictures in Sphere/Pano mode needs a lot CPU, ok!
Bird gets moved, a stop is logic!
I assume that the stitching is even needing a lot more CPU power.
So, between  50-100%, that won't be possible, 'cause the CPU ist needing that to fly the bird.

But saving the pictures, which are already in the bird NOT to the SD?
Would that need more as 1% CPU, perhaps?
We can take pictures, video during flight.
If it is a Ram problem, so why not save the pictures slowly WHILE taking the Sphere and keepin' them also in the Ram for the auto created Sphere, at the end?

I am going to post a topic, to try to show why it is really a good thing, to have the single pictures.
At least my2c to that!
The Topic with "my plea"!
And I am not a pro! (Which is easy to spot, I think)
I just like aligned horizon lines!
At least the Air 2 seems to have trouble with the horizon on oceans, even in case it knows best, which picture belongs  where in the Sphere!
2020-7-27
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

S-e-ven Posted at 7-27 09:40
It seems like :
Do not touch/move the sticks, during the process of taking, stitching and saving the pictures is a workaround.
Or a "You must not touch ...  ", which I have not found in the manual, yet!

I have seen this:
22091.jpg
Which I would expect to happen, in case I move the sticks!
But how could I miss this:

2020-7-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules