DJI Service - Such a Dissappointment
1375 28 2020-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
o2manyfish
lvl.2
Flight distance : 43471 ft
United States

I really loved my DJI Drone. But even taking into considerations the issues with COVID. The repair service experience is utterly unacceptable.

For clarity - My Mavic 2 Pro - Flying in an open industrial parking lot, went into RTH, and then proceeded to fly in reverse right into a building. I uploaded and submitted all the flight data when I submitted my repair request - Received a shipping ticket, but never got any acknowledgement that my data had been received or reviewed.

After not getting a response on my flight data I shipped the Drone to the Service center in Tx. After it was delivered it sat for a few days before being checked in on June 3rd - I assumed this was a COVID Delay.

But then nothing happened. On June 10th I called the DJI Service Center phone number (the one in the 818 area code). The gentleman was nice - but couldn't tell me anything about my drone other than he would expedite it.

On June 11th at 2pm PS I get an email notice that "Your Mavic 2 Pro has been evaluated by our repair team. Your case No. is:"

Now that sentence says "has been". "has" is past tense - So this mean something was done. And yet there is NOTHING updated on my case file!

I took the time to read other posts in this forum. So I am looking forward to a posting from someone at DJI to say -- Dave, Thanks for posting we will look into it....

I am sympathetic to the issues of running a business under COVID regulations, but tell me - there is a few day delay because of COVID. Don't just leave me with ZERO information after having the unit in your facility for almost 2 weeks.

Dave B
2020-6-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Dave, we are terribly sorry to have kept you waiting during the repair process due to the prevention of COVID-19, upon checking your case, the damage assessment has been finished, the status in My Case may fail to be synced for a reason, we will forward to the related team to look into.
Your case will also be escalated to the appropriate team to expedite, the next step will be the data analysis, we will also keep an eye on it, appreciate your understanding and sorry again for the inconvenience caused.
2020-6-15
Use props
CBradshaw
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32182 ft
United States

I have also been beyond aggravated with DJI's repair process.  I fly for a construction company and use GS Pro for 95% of my flights.  Towards the end of March I had two flights where my MAVIC 2 PRO gave me the IMU error while flying in DJI Go to capture jobsite activity.  I send my drone in per instructions, this drone is 6 months old.  They have it for about a week and a half and send me a repair bill to fix the IMU.  I'm thinking it's a faulty part so I wanted clarification on WHY I have a bill.  I'm informed from a call center that the repair center has deemed the drone was crashed.  Again, since this drone is flown with DJI's GS Pro, which controls takeoff and landing, and I personally know for a fact it has not been crashed I sent in all my flight records from DJI Go and GS Pro.  I get and email that says "NO INCIDENT WAS FOUND AFTER CHECKING THE FLIGHT RECORDS" but it says I still need to pay the repair costs....  The shell of the drone is in perfect condition and has zero scratches or dents in it that would indicate a crash, so how an IMU was damaged is beyond me.

Obviously I want to know why, since I believe this should be covered by warranty, but I can not get ANYONE to call me from the repair center. I'm stuck calling customer service where they apologize, say they are going to escalate, and that a manger / supervisor will call me to discuss.  STILL NO PHONE CALLS BACK.  I get sporadic emails from the repair people that offer no help and do not address any of my concerns. I have been without the drone for almost a month at this point and it  is costing my company money because I can't perform the work. I AM being STRONG ARMED into PAYING for a repair that should be covered by warranty.  

For a $2k dollar piece of equipment I would expect much better customer service...
2020-6-17
Use props
CBradshaw
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-15 21:12
Hi Dave, we are terribly sorry to have kept you waiting during the repair process due to the prevention of COVID-19, upon checking your case, the damage assessment has been finished, the status in My Case may fail to be synced for a reason, we will forward to the related team to look into.
Your case will also be escalated to the appropriate team to expedite, the next step will be the data analysis, we will also keep an eye on it, appreciate your understanding and sorry again for the inconvenience caused.

wanted to make sure you were notified of my post above...
2020-6-17
Use props
o2manyfish
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-15 21:12
Your case will also be escalated to the appropriate team to expedite, the next step will be the data analysis, we will also keep an eye on it, appreciate your understanding and sorry again for the inconvenience caused.

Mindy,

This is pretty much the same response I saw on other peoples posts. It's now been 48 hours since you posted this. And I guess your 'syncing' issue for my case status is pretty messed up if it takes 6 days for it to synch. In my 30+ years in working in the tech field, if something doesn't synch initially it's probably not going to synch just because you say - Let's wait and see.

But the fact that I called and was told it was going to be escalated a week ago. And now you tell me it's going to be escalated again.

How many levels of escalation does it take for someone to let me know what's going on?

And since you know that my case status hasn't 'Synched' then where do we escalate my case to that someone says, Oh Hey - Our system isn't working - Why don't we EMAIL the customer and give him a heads up?

And next step is Data Analysis? How long does that take your experts? I never looked at data analysis before this crash and it took me all of 5 mins to see that the drone went into RTH mode, decided there was an obstacle above it (in an outdoor parking lot) and then flew in reverse into a building which it noted as being behind it. So how long does that take to analyze?

I mean just more disappointment with DJI. I understand your job is to pacify upset people. But like all the other posts - you give no specifics. At the rate this service is going currently this could be months before this item is repaired and returned to me.

And that's not the kind service I expect when a drone at this price point has a crash when it's Flying on it's own.

----------------------------

And CBradshaw, your story doesn't give me a good feeling about this situation at all. Charging you to repair an internal part - when the unit is under warranty? Telling you, you crashed it, and then still trying to charge you after they says No Incident? That's not good customer support, or product support. I can understand it being 'difficult' to get a hold of someone, but it shouldn't be impossible to get a response with some real information.

Hopefully both of us get our drones back quickly.

Dave B

2020-6-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

o2manyfish Posted at 6-17 20:40
Mindy,

This is pretty much the same response I saw on other peoples posts. It's now been 48 hours since you posted this. And I guess your 'syncing' issue for my case status is pretty messed up if it takes 6 days for it to synch. In my 30+ years in working in the tech field, if something doesn't synch initially it's probably not going to synch just because you say - Let's wait and see.

The data analysis has been finished and I have informed the team to contact you with the result in priority. We understand how frustrated you are, and I would feel the same way if I was in your shoes. This pandemic affects a lot and we are doing our best to get back to the business. We apologize again for letting you down and all the inconvenience caused.
2020-6-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

CBradshaw Posted at 6-17 06:11
I have also been beyond aggravated with DJI's repair process.  I fly for a construction company and use GS Pro for 95% of my flights.  Towards the end of March I had two flights where my MAVIC 2 PRO gave me the IMU error while flying in DJI Go to capture jobsite activity.  I send my drone in per instructions, this drone is 6 months old.  They have it for about a week and a half and send me a repair bill to fix the IMU.  I'm thinking it's a faulty part so I wanted clarification on WHY I have a bill.  I'm informed from a call center that the repair center has deemed the drone was crashed.  Again, since this drone is flown with DJI's GS Pro, which controls takeoff and landing, and I personally know for a fact it has not been crashed I sent in all my flight records from DJI Go and GS Pro.  I get and email that says "NO INCIDENT WAS FOUND AFTER CHECKING THE FLIGHT RECORDS" but it says I still need to pay the repair costs....  The shell of the drone is in perfect condition and has zero scratches or dents in it that would indicate a crash, so how an IMU was damaged is beyond me.

Obviously I want to know why, since I believe this should be covered by warranty, but I can not get ANYONE to call me from the repair center. I'm stuck calling customer service where they apologize, say they are going to escalate, and that a manger / supervisor will call me to discuss.  STILL NO PHONE CALLS BACK.  I get sporadic emails from the repair people that offer no help and do not address any of my concerns. I have been without the drone for almost a month at this point and it  is costing my company money because I can't perform the work. I AM being STRONG ARMED into PAYING for a repair that should be covered by warranty.  

Hi CBradshaw, I'm sorry to read your drone was not warrantied, I managed to get your case number via your Forum account and has escalated to the higher-level team to double review. Don't worry this time, our supervisor will definitely contact you after making it clear.
Your feedback about our support team will also be forwarded to the management team to look into, we will keep improving our customer service.
2020-6-17
Use props
CBradshaw
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-17 23:33
Hi CBradshaw, I'm sorry to read your drone was not warrantied, I managed to get your case number via your Forum account and has escalated to the higher-level team to double review. Don't worry this time, our supervisor will definitely contact you after making it clear.
Yoru feedback about our support team will also be forwarded to the management team to look into, we will keep improving our customer service.

Thank you, Mindy.  Like o2manyfish, I've been told my case has been escalated several times so far with no meaningful communication coming from it.  I've seen several cases on the forums of M2Pro's with IMU issues, so I feel like it's a known issue.  To be honest, this forum was a last ditch effort for me to voice my opinion publicly so others can know what they may have to deal with.  As I said, I need this Drone for work and will probably be forced to pay the repair fee in order to get my drone back as I've already been without it for a month. Overall I'm pretty disappointed at this point and not optimistic that this will be solved in a way that will leave me feeling happy or like I had been treated fairly.

**UPDATE**  I did get a call from Ejay a few minutes ago and he said the repair will be covered under warranty.  I appreciate your help and I will update again once I hear from the repair service and get the drone back in the air.
2020-6-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

CBradshaw Posted at 6-18 05:37
Thank you, Mindy.  Like o2manyfish, I've been told my case has been escalated several times so far with no meaningful communication coming from it.  I've seen several cases on the forums of M2Pro's with IMU issues, so I feel like it's a known issue.  To be honest, this forum was a last ditch effort for me to voice my opinion publicly so others can know what they may have to deal with.  As I said, I need this Drone for work and will probably be forced to pay the repair fee in order to get my drone back as I've already been without it for a month. Overall I'm pretty disappointed at this point and not optimistic that this will be solved in a way that will leave me feeling happy or like I had been treated fairly.

We will certainly look after your complaint here in Forum, your experience is very important to us and we apologize for the trouble with our customer service. We will have someone to contact you and I will also keep an eye on your case. If there is any further problem, please feel free to let us know.
2020-6-18
Use props
o2manyfish
lvl.2
United States

I'm going to post this here and elsewhere because I find it to be quite offensive - After having the flight data information for a month and possession of the Drone for 15 days. I now get the following crash report - without any information about the damage to the drone.

--------------------------------------------------------------
FLY34
Incident Date: 5-9-2020
1.     The aircraft worked under GPS mode and responded to the pilot’s command well;
2.     Flight Time T=21:51s, Relative Height H=1.6m, Distance to Home Point D=18.7m, Battery=17%, RTH was triggered due to low battery; the pre-set RTH altitude was 30m and the aircraft started to return to home.;
3.     T=21:54s, H=16m, D=20.1m, unit crashed into an obstacle as it was rising to RTH height
4.     The incident coordinate: 34.2488942 -118.5916534
5.     Critical low battery will trigger RTH automatically, and its not a malfunction
According to the analysis, the incident was not caused by any product malfunction.

We can still proceed with the repair, however, you will cover the repair charges.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now let's be clear, I didn't say the drone going into RTH was a malfunction - But if the drone crashes while in RTH - That's the drones fault not mine.

Data analysis conclusion is "According to the analysis, the incident was not caused by any product malfunction. "

At flight time 21.51s the drone is at a height of 1.6m and 18.7m from home.

The drone goes into RTH at 21.51s.

At 21.54s the drone crashes into a building.

At 21.54s the drone is at a height of 1.6m and is now 20.1m from the home position.

3 seconds after entering RTH the drone has traveled 1.4m or 4.6 feet away from home (this is reverse) There was no height gain.

Can someone explain to me how a drone that is supposed to be rising to 30m to return to home, in 3 seconds moved 1.4m away from home and did not gain any altitude. And this is not a malfunction and is operator error -- when then drone is in control of it's flight?

The video of the flight even shows the unit flying in reverse at the time of crash.

Given that your flight analysis shows the drone crashed while in RTH mode - I would like to know how that is the operators fault? In RTH the operator is not in control of the drones flight.

Just ask Boeing. When their 737 Max planes crashed under their flight control system - they grounded the planes, not the pilots.

I hope there is someone else in Data analysis that has a better understanding of what happened.

Dave B

2020-6-18
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

o2manyfish Posted at 6-18 06:45
I'm going to post this here and elsewhere because I find it to be quite offensive - After having the flight data information for a month and possession of the Drone for 15 days. I now get the following crash report - without any information about the damage to the drone.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, Dave. We're sorry to have read your frustrations with the outcome of the data analysis. We're seeking the attention with the team of higher level of support for further assistance. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.
2020-6-18
Use props
o2manyfish
lvl.2
United States

Just so we are clear -- the Drone was in RTH at the time of the crash. I did not give the drone the command to fly in reverse. The Drone was flying on it's own. That to me is the clearest proof that this is not operator error. The operator was not controlling the drone at the time of the crash.

I went back to the video from the crash and grabbed some still images.

Image 1 - When the drone took control and went into RTH

Image 2 - The Drone clearly moving in reverse - NOT climbing to 30m

Image 3 - FIrst Frame after impacting wall

Image 4 - Looking above where the drone was when the drone was flying backwards - There are NO obstacles above the drone. The drone could have safely gone straight up. It had no reason to reverse.

I can't believe you would blame the operator when:
      1)  The operator wasn't the one controlling the flight path - DJI was
      2) The flight data said there was an obstacle above the drone - Video shows that there were clear blue skies above the drone when it crashed
      3) The drone when returning Home did not make any height increase in the 3 seconds it was in control - when supposedly climbing to 30m
      4) The drone rather than Returning To Home - Was actually flying the opposite direction of home going farther away

I'm glad that we have escalated this again to a higher level of support - How many levels are there? And do any of the levels actually give an answer?

If you expect me to pay for the damages, then I want to see the data analysis that shows I turned off Obstacle avoidance and that it was my operation of the smart controller that gave the drone the command to fly in reverse into a building.

Dave
2020-6-18
Use props
o2manyfish
lvl.2
United States

Today I got a phone call from China. The gentleman was very nice and he was going to review the data analysis. The report he was given was that there was 'No malfunction - Operator Error'.

I went over the story with him and he is going to review the information again. It was his statement that if after RTH the Drone did not go up in height, that it failed to followed the flight path.

Tonight I happened to find in my spam folder the bill to repair the drone.

$310 and more than a month without the drone - For a drone crashing  while in a big open space - with not a single obstacle between it and its home position which was 18 meters / 65' away - when the drone went into RTH with 17% battery life.

This is so beyond logical. I can't understand how I can be responsible when the drone is in autonomous flight. If I can't control where the drone is going then how is that not a malfunction and not covered under warranty.

D
2020-6-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

o2manyfish Posted at 6-19 19:01
Today I got a phone call from China. The gentleman was very nice and he was going to review the data analysis. The report he was given was that there was 'No malfunction - Operator Error'.

I went over the story with him and he is going to review the information again. It was his statement that if after RTH the Drone did not go up in height, that it failed to followed the flight path.

Diana has escalated your concerns and our supervisor is following up, please wait for the further communication, hope this will be figured out soon.
2020-6-20
Use props
o2manyfish
lvl.2
United States

Update As of Tues June 23rd. On Friday afternoon I got a call from China. I almost didn't answer it thinking it was a RoboCall. But I did answer it and it was a representative from DJI.

His English was very good, but it was still difficult for me to follow the exact conversation. But he asked me to explain what had happened and that he was going to escalate my case to a review board.

I will say this. I couldn't get this person's name (bad connection, and my hearing issues - not his fault) - But his attitude on the phone was really good for customer service. He was very energetic and positive in the way he spoke. For a foreign customer service representative, not speaking in his native language, he did a really good job of making me feel like he was working in my best interest.

He told me it would be a few days - since they don't work on the weekends - and to give him time to try to get this resolved.

He just called me now (Which is Tuesday morning in Los Angeles) to inform me that the repairs were all going to be covered under warranty. And again on this phone conversation his persona and demeanor were extremely reassuring and positive.

He could not tell me how soon the repairs would be done and the drone shipped back to me, which is understandable - he is on the other side of the world. But at least things are moving in the right direction.

Dave
2020-6-23
Use props
o2manyfish
lvl.2
United States

Man, what a horrible horrible company!!! DJI your customer service organization is just a mess.

At 9am this morning I received a phone from DJI in China (posted above) that everything was being covered under warranty.

And then 4.5 hours later I get an email from Ken at DJI Support - Saying the accident is Pilot Error, Not warranty and that's Final! --- (See Below)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ken (DJI Support)
2020年6月24日 GMT+8 上午4:24
Hi Dave,

Thank you for patiently waiting. My apologies for the delay. I've already received the result of the anaylsis. According to our internal team, the drone was flying backward to dodge obstacle above the drone, there is obstacle above the drone while it's trying to rise to RTH height, since the environment is so complicated the drone crashed, please do not hover the drone in such dangerous environment with low battery. I am afraid to tell you that the cause of the crash was due to pilot error and the case will remain non warranty and it is final.

Thank you for choosing DJI.
Best regards,
Ken

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How does Ken put in writing that the Drone was flying in reverse under RTH to avoid an obstacle - and that that is Pilot Error?   Not to mention that there are photos showing there is nothing above the drone at the time of the crash (Taken by the drones own video camera).

And if being out in an industrial complex parking lot with only 2 square brick 1 story structures within 100m is too complicated for a Mavic 2 Pro to safely navigate -- Then is this really a "PRO" model?

Truly atrocious the lack of communication, consistency and customer relations during this whole experience. Not to mention the drone has been sitting at DJI service center for 3 weeks now.

2020-6-23
Use props
o2manyfish
lvl.2
United States

July 1st Update,

It's been over a week since I was called to say the repairs would be covered under warranty. The day after receiving the conflicting email that it would not be covered under warranty -DJI Ken emailed again retracting his statement and saying the repairs would be covered.

And now a week later - no updates at all as to when I might expect the repairs to be done or when I might get my drone returned. The DJI Repair Status site has has no CASE updates for over 2 weeks,

Once again just truly disappointed in the customer service. Emails take 24 hours to get replies. The answer to every query is 'We will escalate it' - And after being ProActive in trying to get this issue resolved and my unit being at DJI's facility for a month - I don't have one contact person to interact with. I don't have any ability to get current or correct information on the status of my drone. And I DON'T HAVE MY DRONE!!!

When I was submitting my warranty claim, the information said most repairs take 3-5 days. Even adding delays for COVID -- Which is understandable -- 30+ days without any idea as to how long - is not unacceptable. Had I known this kind of turn around time for a warranty repair I would have purchased another drone while waiting, perhaps indefinitely, for repairs on the first draft to be completed.

Dave

Dave
2020-7-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

o2manyfish Posted at 7-1 05:25
July 1st Update,

It's been over a week since I was called to say the repairs would be covered under warranty. The day after receiving the conflicting email that it would not be covered under warranty -DJI Ken emailed again retracting his statement and saying the repairs would be covered.

I'm so sorry to know the quotation still hasn't been updated, I've contacted the local team to update the case as soon as possible, please note the email notification later, thank you.
2020-7-2
Use props
o2manyfish
lvl.2
United States

This morning (July 6th) I received 3 email from DJI - My repairs were complete / qualtiy assurance test passed / Unit being shipped back (with tracking number).
2020-7-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

o2manyfish Posted at 7-6 08:28
This morning (July 6th) I received 3 email from DJI - My repairs were complete / qualtiy assurance test passed / Unit being shipped back (with tracking number).

Good to know it was shipped out, hope you will receive it soon. If there is any further problem, please feel free to keep us updated.
2020-7-7
Use props
o2manyfish
lvl.2
United States

I received my Drone back from DJI service on July 9th. I am not sure if they sent me a refurbished or repaired drone. It seemed like everything had new stickers on it, but the upper shell was scuffed.

The first time I started it up, I had to link the drone to my smart controller and again to my goggles.

When it first linked the drone had no video image.

Then it did a firmware update --- still no video image (screen is shades of gray). I did a quick flight and the drone was operational but no video. I restarted the drone several times and then I had a video image.

I live in a restricted air space zone. So each time I fly in my yard to I have to acknowledge the FAA and am limited to 190ft of height. The controller kept saying that I was authorized to fly and the controller shows a certificate installed. But it took 10+ attempts to launch before I was finally able to.

The next time I went to fly the drone - same issue -- can't launch. Took 20 tries to get the controller and drone to say - Yes you can fly.

Today 3rd flight and the camera is not working again. This is ridiculous.

State of the art drone - and it takes 10 to 20 mins to get it to launch - but you can't see or record anything.

Dave B

2020-7-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

o2manyfish Posted at 7-15 12:31
I received my Drone back from DJI service on July 9th. I am not sure if they sent me a refurbished or repaired drone. It seemed like everything had new stickers on it, but the upper shell was scuffed.

The first time I started it up, I had to link the drone to my smart controller and again to my goggles.

Sorry for the continued trouble with the Smart Controller, did you try to reset the camera settings and then reset the factory data in Setting to see if the issue persists?
2020-7-17
Use props
o2manyfish
lvl.2
United States

Mindy, I want to thank DJI for the amazing customer support!!

- After taking 6 weeks to replace a drone under warrranty - DJI sends me a defective Drone. And when I email DJI support it took more than 2 days to get a response and I was informed that California service stations are closed (Which is great since you made me ship it to Texas the first time). And was given the link to start a new repair ticket!!!!

DJI sent me a defective replacement - And now I have to start with your incompetent service from scratch?????

ZERO consideration for customer support. ZERO company responsibility . ZERO effort to resolve customer problems --- Let me guess you will escalate, and then a few days later they will escalate this and then a week later it will get escalated again.....

A decent company would have immediately apologized and sent a replacement unit. Instead of taking 2 days for DJI's staff to respond -- We are closed -  please start a new ticket.

2020-7-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

o2manyfish Posted at 7-17 14:32
Mindy, I want to thank DJI for the amazing customer support!!

- After taking 6 weeks to replace a drone under warrranty - DJI sends me a defective Drone. And when I email DJI support it took more than 2 days to get a response and I was informed that California service stations are closed (Which is great since you made me ship it to Texas the first time). And was given the link to start a new repair ticket!!!!

I'm terribly sorry for all the inconvenience caused to you, I fully understand your situation, this has been escalated to the supervisor team to follow up, please don't worry, we'll do our best to help this out. Your patience is really appreciated.
2020-7-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-17 23:27
I'm terribly sorry for all the inconvenience caused to you, I fully understand your situation, this has been escalated to the supervisor team to follow up, please don't worry, we'll do our best to help this out. Your patience is really appreciated.

I have sent 4 pm to you and still have not received any reply.
2020-7-18
Use props
o2manyfish
lvl.2
United States

-----Well, it's been over a week since contacting DJI about them shipping me a defective replacement drone. And I have not been contacted by anyone!

I'm just disgusted that after all this time now I'm forced to buy a 2nd drone and file suit against DJI. I guess it's my turn to escalate the situation.

2020-7-23
Use props
o2manyfish
lvl.2
United States

Mavic 2 Pro - Crash Disaster

I wanted to take a moment to share my experience with my Mavic 2 Pro disaster.

I was shooting in the parking lot of a large open industrial park. The drone went into RTH for a low battery (205). The drone was 16' off the ground at the time. The drone was 40' from it's home position. Rather than going up and over, the Drone went in reverse (away from home) and slammed into a building.

I filed a crash report and uploaded my flight data for analysis. I filed a service claim and was issued a service shipping tag (Ship from CA to TX). I was informed that because of Covid there might be some delays over the 3-5 days estimated time to repair the drone.

I shipped the drone to the Texas service center and it arrived on June 1. The drone repair status page didn't show that they received it until 2 days later. Then according to their online case status system in just sat there.

After 8 days I called service, and I was told it would be escalated and I would have an update within 24 hours. But nothing.

I posted in the DJI Customer Service Forum and was told it would be escalated.

I eventually received a crash analysis report stating all the stats of my flight and stating the crash was operator error. The flight data, they used for the analysis stated the time and location that the drone went into RTH mode. The flight data also showed that the drone in RTH mode flew in the opposite direction of home. They claimed that the drone detected an object above it and that's why it flew into a building.

I had the video of the crash, and in the video you can see when the drone goes into RTH and when it hits the building the camera points upward showing there was nothing above the drone as far as the eye could see. It was clear blue skies. No power lines, no flags, nothing above the drone.

I sent the video along with "my" analysis of their flight data, and informing them that if the Drone was in RTH mode - then the drone was the operator not I, and therefore the drone was responsible for the flight.

I received a notice that upon further review my case was determined to be operator error. I posted to the forum how upset I was with this decision. I was escalated again. This time a customer support person called from overseas, he said he would look into it and asked for 24 hrs to review the case. It was a Friday and I said no problem.

The following Tues morning I received a phone call from the overseas support person who informed me that upon further review the Drone would be repaired under warranty.

6 hours later I received an email from DJI US Customer Support stating that they reviewed the flight data again, and that the crash was OPERATOR ERROR - and this is the FINAL determination. Repairs would not be covered under warranty and that this was a FINAL decision.

I sent an angry response to this email, demanding a retractment of this statement and that DJI repair the drone as they said they would. 2 days later I received an email from US Customer support that the drone would be repaired under warranty and returned to me.

A week later there was NO change in the status of my Drone Case. No update showing repairs were approved or done.

When I contacted DJI, yet again, they informed me that since they had issued a $388 repair bill, that the bill hadn't been voided and that's why the repair status had not changed, and repairs not started.

A few days after this I received a notice my Drone repairs were complete and a tracking number was sent.

The drone arrived back to me 5.5 weeks after DJI received the Drone - on July 9th.

It appeared they sent me a replacement drone. Everything looked shiny and new. I booted the drone up, I have the smart controller, and the drone needed to link to the controller. When it linked and the drone was connected - there was no video image.

I restarted the drone. This time it connected and started a firmware update. After the update - no video image. I took the drone outside and did a test flight in the yard and it flew without an issue. The sensors were working - but no video on the screen. No video on the memory card.

After restarting the drone several times the camera started working.

Two days later I went to fly the drone again. No video once again. After restarting the drone close to 20x the video started working.

I took pictures of the smart controller screen without video.

I emailed the US customer service agent I had been dealing with about the replacement drone being defective - July 13th.

2 days later I received a response from the US based customer service agent that the California Service centers are closed due to Covid, and informing me to start a new service claim for the drone! - July 15th

I replied back that that was unacceptable. I posted again to the customer service forum. The forum BOT told me my case would be escalated.... That was on July 15th

When they sent me the notice of the drone being returned they gave me 48hrs to purchase the DJI Care Refresh progam (had to be purchased before the Drone actually arrived to me). And I purchased it.

Now I have a drone, with a warranty, and an extended warranty -- That doesn't work, and that DJI doesn't care to make any effort to resolve the situation.

It's now July 23rd almost 2 months since DJI first received my crashed drone. I have a non-functional drone and I have no response from DJI support.

I understand that Covid might create some delays. But to take over a month to repair the drone, and then to send a defective replacement and not make any effort to assist the customer in resolving this issue is really disgusting customer support. This was a Mavic 2 Pro with a smart controller, not a $150 toy drone.

Dave B

2020-7-23
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

it's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil.
2020-7-23
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to read that
2020-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now