Mavic Air 2 Video laggy
12714 23 2020-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_RUVxj2uFlJbi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1687457 ft
United States

I have the DJI Mavic Air 2, When recording on the drone, in 4K60, 2.1K60, or 1080P, in the app, it works flawlessly, without lag and/or interruptions. When i Go to my PC...
When i first got the drone, When i tried to review the Videos on my windows pc, it would work just fine, no lag or freezing whatsoever... but just recently, When i try to review my footage from my drone, i get freezes, the video doesnt freeze, the entire tab (Media Player window) crashes and freezes... so, i figured it was a problem with my PC'S media player. So i uploaded it to youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7tUwg7tWCE.. And apon reviewing this video, even as low as 480P will lag out firefox and crash it.. i tried google chrome, and got the same results, ive tried using another video player called VLC Media player, but again, the window crashes when i try to review my footage... ive tried watching the video on my Phone, which is the $1,000 Oneplus 8 Pro, so there should be no problem s with the phone lagging with the footage. Which there isnt, BUT apon viewing the video, i see huge blocks and pixels and it looks aweful... anyone else having this problem?

2020-7-23
Use props
djiuser_RUVxj2uFlJbi
lvl.2
United States

i forgot to mention my SD card, im using a 64GB SANDISK ULTRA Micro SD card
2020-7-23
Use props
djiuser_wqIYJ6mS8JDK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 314127 ft
United States

I am having the same or very similar issue.  I bought the Mavic Air 2 a few months ago, and I was able to record videos, transfer to the hard drives on my PC, and watch them on my PC with no problems...until a few weeks ago.  Suddenly I cannot play my drone videos on my PC anymore. They open, but immediately freezes or is very laggy with Windows Media Player or VLC media player.   I have not changed anything on the drone or on my PC, and I am following the same procedures.  At first I thought maybe the video files were corrupted, but I do not think they are.  As an experiment I put one of the video files onto the cloud with my OneDrive account, and then opened it via my phone and I was able to watch the video, so it does not appear that the videos are corrupted.  I am using a SanDisk Extreme 128gb micro SD card.  Another strange thing is that if I use one of the built in DJI Quick Shots video options like Zoom, Circle, etc. those videos seem to play on my PC properly.

This is disappointing. I would not have bought this drone if I had known it would have this problem.
2020-8-8
Use props
djiuser_RUVxj2uFlJbi
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_wqIYJ6mS8JDK Posted at 8-8 20:08
I am having the same or very similar issue.  I bought the Mavic Air 2 a few months ago, and I was able to record videos, transfer to the hard drives on my PC, and watch them on my PC with no problems...until a few weeks ago.  Suddenly I cannot play my drone videos on my PC anymore. They open, but immediately freezes or is very laggy with Windows Media Player or VLC media player.   I have not changed anything on the drone or on my PC, and I am following the same procedures.  At first I thought maybe the video files were corrupted, but I do not think they are.  As an experiment I put one of the video files onto the cloud with my OneDrive account, and then opened it via my phone and I was able to watch the video, so it does not appear that the videos are corrupted.  I am using a SanDisk Extreme 128gb micro SD card.  Another strange thing is that if I use one of the built in DJI Quick Shots video options like Zoom, Circle, etc. those videos seem to play on my PC properly.

This is disappointing. I would not have bought this drone if I had known it would have this problem.

Yes! I have having the same thing happen to me! the quickshots and timelapse will play flawlessly on my windows pc, but when it comes to the actual video ive taken, i face the freezing problem.. Maybe its a software problem on the birds end :/
2020-8-8
Use props
djiuser_RUVxj2uFlJbi
lvl.2
United States

I am having the same or very similar issue.  I bought the Mavic Air 2 a few months ago, and I was able to record videos, transfer to the hard drives on my PC, and watch them on my PC with no problems...until a few weeks ago.  Suddenly I cannot play my drone videos on my PC anymore. They open, but immediately freezes or is very laggy with Windows Media Player or VLC media player.   I have not changed anything on the drone or on my PC, and I am following the same procedures.  At first I thought maybe the video files were corrupted, but I do not think they are.  As an experiment I put one of the video files onto the cloud with my OneDrive account, and then opened it via my phone and I was able to watch the video, so it does not appear that the videos are corrupted.  I am using a SanDisk Extreme 128gb micro SD card.  Another strange thing is that if I use one of the built in DJI Quick Shots video options like Zoom, Circle, etc. those videos seem to play on my PC properly.

UPDATE! After the New Firmware update, I am able to watch my videos again! No lag and no freezes! so i was right! it was a problem on DJI'S end!
2020-8-8
Use props
djiuser_RUVxj2uFlJbi
lvl.2
United States

sorry for all the responses, just one more, all videos taken before the update is still freezing and lagging.
2020-8-8
Use props
djiuser_wqIYJ6mS8JDK
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_RUVxj2uFlJbi Posted at 8-8 21:22
sorry for all the responses, just one more, all videos taken before the update is still freezing and lagging.

Interesting that the problem went away for you with the firmware update.  I am still having the same issue even after updates. New videos will not play on my PC. The old videos from before the problem first appeared will play just fine, as will new quick shot stuff, but new regular videos still won't.  It's a time consuming pain to have to convert every file just to view them. I sometimes wonder if it is a graphics problem with my PC, but that doesn't make sense either considering all the facts. I don't know. I have mostly been taking still photos, but the video issue is definitly disappointing.
2020-9-4
Use props
djiuser_RUVxj2uFlJbi
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_wqIYJ6mS8JDK Posted at 9-4 18:28
Interesting that the problem went away for you with the firmware update.  I am still having the same issue even after updates. New videos will not play on my PC. The old videos from before the problem first appeared will play just fine, as will new quick shot stuff, but new regular videos still won't.  It's a time consuming pain to have to convert every file just to view them. I sometimes wonder if it is a graphics problem with my PC, but that doesn't make sense either considering all the facts. I don't know. I have mostly been taking still photos, but the video issue is definitly disappointing.

Hello, I'm the original poster of this concern. And I MIGHT have found the issue, and it's stated in the DJI Fly app. So apon clicking where is says "take off with caution (Attitude mode) it gave me a list of errors, one was the lighting environment, and the other, which explains our issue, about the SD card speed being too slow, meaning the Write speed isn't fast enough, so the lag your seeing on your PC isnt your PC, it's the SD card itself that is lagging. This pic is of my SD card, as you can see, next to "Micro SD XC" There is a 1 with the letter U below it. That means the write speed is is only writing at 10MB/S, you want 3 with the U, which means 30MB/S wrote speeds. If you buy an SD card with a 30MB/S write speed, make sure the APC, (The curved A1 next to the 10 with the C) is A2, if it's not it's a fake card, cause A1 CANNOT handle a 30MB/S write speed. I haven't purchased an SD card yet with the faster write speed, but when I do, I will update if it fixed the problems.
Screenshot_20200904-225901.jpg
Screenshot_20200904-230152.jpg
IMG_20200904_230414.jpg
2020-9-4
Use props
Hopalong
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_RUVxj2uFlJbi Posted at 9-4 19:22
Hello, I'm the original poster of this concern. And I MIGHT have found the issue, and it's stated in the DJI Fly app. So apon clicking where is says "take off with caution (Attitude mode) it gave me a list of errors, one was the lighting environment, and the other, which explains our issue, about the SD card speed being too slow, meaning the Write speed isn't fast enough, so the lag your seeing on your PC isnt your PC, it's the SD card itself that is lagging. This pic is of my SD card, as you can see, next to "Micro SD XC" There is a 1 with the letter U below it. That means the write speed is is only writing at 10MB/S, you want 3 with the U, which means 30MB/S wrote speeds. If you buy an SD card with a 30MB/S write speed, make sure the APC, (The curved A1 next to the 10 with the C) is A2, if it's not it's a fake card, cause A1 CANNOT handle a 30MB/S write speed. I haven't purchased an SD card yet with the faster write speed, but when I do, I will update if it fixed the problems.

Sorry, I don't check this often enough. How have your videos been lately? I still have the problem. I record in 4k and then after I download I have to process them to a lesser quality just to be able to view them.

I just took a look at my SD card and mine has the 3 with the U. I don't think my SD card is the problem, because I have had the same card since I bought the drone and in the beginning everything worked fine and I had no problem just opening the video files directly in the stock Windows media player and they played smooth and high quality. Then suddenly they became laggy and stuttered and unviewable.

I'm wondering if I need to reach out to DJI directly. It does no good to have this drone if I cannot view the videos in the quality in which the drone takes them in. They look ok if I process into 1080 and view on a phone screen, but I shouldn't have to do that.

2020-9-25
Use props
Mokel-Entertainment
lvl.2
United States

Hopalong Posted at 9-25 20:03
Sorry, I don't check this often enough. How have your videos been lately? I still have the problem. I record in 4k and then after I download I have to process them to a lesser quality just to be able to view them.

I just took a look at my SD card and mine has the 3 with the U. I don't think my SD card is the problem, because I have had the same card since I bought the drone and in the beginning everything worked fine and I had no problem just opening the video files directly in the stock Windows media player and they played smooth and high quality. Then suddenly they became laggy and stuttered and unviewable.

So I ordered the same card as you but In a lower capacity, and I am also having the same issue.

Contacting DJI directly is useless as I already did that myself, and all they can tell me is that I can return my current drone and get a replacement, but obviously other people are having the same issue so it's not the unit

It is a possibility of it being my computer, as I'm using an Intel core I3 4160, which is an old CPU from 2013, but the funny thing is that, apon compressing with handbrake at 4K60, I'm still able to view it with no lag and no issue whatsoever, so if it was my CPU, it would also struggle to play the compressed video..

A solution I can suggest is Handbrake, it transcodes the video  without quality loss whatsoever, you can even downscale if need be.I haven't had any quality loss, just be sure to change the resolution setting to"Same as original" after transcoding I'm able to see the footage at full 4K60 with 0 issue.

I hope this helps man. Hopefully DJI Fixes this iss
Screenshot_20200926-001113.jpg
Screenshot_20200926-002215.jpg
2020-9-25
Use props
Howzitt
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi,I hope i find you well,I am have a the same issue with my videos,they will no longer play on my PC, I tried downgrading the firmware,that didn't work,also tried another sd card,that also didn't work,I took ot the sd card and recorded using the drone's own storage and again this didn't resolve the issue,have you found a fix yet for this annoying problem?Thanks,Alastair.
2020-9-26
Use props
Hopalong
lvl.1
United States

Mokel-Entertainment Posted at 9-25 20:23
So I ordered the same card as you but In a lower capacity, and I am also having the same issue.

Contacting DJI directly is useless as I already did that myself, and all they can tell me is that I can return my current drone and get a replacement, but obviously other people are having the same issue so it's not the unit

Well, I got the drone out again this morning and was looking at the settings while the drone was synced. I noticed that my video setting was set to H265 (I don't have it in front of me right now, but make sure you are in video mode, then when you go into the settings you should see it in the list of video settings), and just as an experiment I switched it over to H264 and then took off and captured some video. I can't remember if my Mavic was originally set to H264 or H265, but I never knowingly changed it to H265. If I did it was an accident. Anyway, just now after switching to H264 these videos from today open up and play great with the standard "Windows and TV" stock Windows 10 viewer. Clear, high res, and smooth.  I just came back in and tried it, so haven't spent much time looking into this and I am by no means an expert with video files, but this definitely makes them viewable again. I don't really know the differences or pros/cons between H264 and H265, I'll have to research, but either way it seems to have fixed the issue.
2020-9-26
Use props
Hopalong
lvl.1
United States

Mokel-Entertainment Posted at 9-25 20:23

Thanks, I'll have to check out Handbrake. I've used that a bit at work for other things, but not for this. I've been using VideoProc on these drone videos for what it is worth. But I was finding that if I processed at same resolution as the original that I would have the same issue with the processed version. I could only get them into a viewable form if I downgraded the quality. Now that I know there might be an issue with the H264/H265 I will experiment and see if I can get the "bad" mp4's to process in such a way that I can view them in original quality.
2020-9-26
Use props
Mokel-Entertainment
lvl.2
United States

Hopalong Posted at 9-26 10:10
Thanks, I'll have to check out Handbrake. I've used that a bit at work for other things, but not for this. I've been using VideoProc on these drone videos for what it is worth. But I was finding that if I processed at same resolution as the original that I would have the same issue with the processed version. I could only get them into a viewable form if I downgraded the quality. Now that I know there might be an issue with the H264/H265 I will experiment and see if I can get the "bad" mp4's to process in such a way that I can view them in original quality.

I'll take my bird out for a flight today to see if changing the video file extension fixes anything, I'll let you know if it fixed my problem, if it does than that is the reason everyone else must be having issues with it.
2020-9-26
Use props
Mokel-Entertainment
lvl.2
United States

So I changed the file extension from MP4 to MOV, Didn't fix my issue, I changed from H.265 To H.264 and still the same issues.  I have absolutely no clue what is going on here.
2020-9-26
Use props
Hopalong
lvl.1
United States

Mokel-Entertainment Posted at 9-26 15:28
So I changed the file extension from MP4 to MOV, Didn't fix my issue, I changed from H.265 To H.264 and still the same issues.  I have absolutely no clue what is going on here.

That's too bad. After checking into it more I do think that this H.264/H.265 issue was the problem for me. I think I must have accidentally changed it and that what was causing the videos to not playback properly. Now when I take one of the videos from the period they were not working and convert it to H.264 with all other options left the same it plays just fine. I'm guessing the quickshots have their own preset settings, so they were not affect when I changed it and that's why the quickshots continued working while the regular video did not. If you figure out your issue I'd be interested to hear, just in case this problem pops up again for me. Hope you get it fix.
2020-9-27
Use props
djiuser_iKEGTgGD7rOq
New
Flight distance : 109019 ft

Ireland

Same thing happened to ne recently, i have transferred it from my phone to google drive then i have transferred it to my pc, i hope it works for the rest of you.
2020-10-14
Use props
vtvinnereim
New

Norway

Here is the solution boys. Enjoy.
2020-11-23
Use props
Shreyash_Bissa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 38297 ft
Bangladesh

Dear All ,
Similar issue on my side . On my phone the Chache video are fine . But from Micro SD same issue . However when i Play these videos on VLC player there is no LAG .
2020-12-16
Use props
tgalos
lvl.1
Flight distance : 311932 ft

United States

Any solutions yet? It must be in the MA2 software, as Quickshots work fine.
2021-2-16
Use props
SirNight
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12477 ft
Turkey

Hi Guys,
Today i realized i had the same problem.
On mobile device it plays flowlessly. When i remove the SD card and try to watch it from the PC or even on MAC,  i realized video is laggy...   
I did may tests and finally I found it and my problem is solved...  it was totally about h264 h265 selection.  h265  makes the problem... I selected h264 and everything works perfectly..
2021-2-27
Use props
Cristy Botea
New

Germany

Hy mate ...i bought today a Mavic 2 and i tryed some videos to record ....when i want to play the video its has lag even on the phone or windows ..when i recorded everything was fine ,i didnt seen some lag on drone ...shuld i return the drone ,i still can do it ..i mean today i bought it ...thanks
2021-4-8
Use props
Cristy Botea
New

Germany

Hy mate ...i bought today a Mavic 2 and i tryed some videos to record ....when i want to play the video its has lag even on the phone or windows ..when i recorded everything was fine ,i didnt seen some lag on drone ...shuld i return the drone ,i still can do it ..i mean today i bought it ...thanks
2021-4-8
Use props
Tennon
New
Flight distance : 109019 ft

Ireland

Hi y'all, i have the same problem, i find to work around it by downloading it onto my phone with the dji app, then upload it to google drive from my phone. Playback works by the downside is that it takes a bit.
Tell me about your findings with this method, good luck
2021-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules