1792 16 2020-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JimmyStud
lvl.3
Flight distance : 179777 ft
United States

Hello.
I have the Inspire 2 and a 480 GB SSD. I cannot afford the Apple ProRes liscense at this time. I am asking what is the best resolution/frame rate I can use without the Liscense?

Options?

Options?
2020-7-23
Use props
JimmyStud
lvl.3
United States

Maximum resolution of 480gb SSD without License

Trying one last time. Want to find out the maximum resolution I can set my inspire 2 with a 480 GB SSD card without the Apple ProRes license.
Now for the hard part, I am trying to add a picture of my options. Please bear with me if it posts 200 times... my apologies.

[img]https://forum11.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/blob:https://forum.dji.com/3371c451-2e02-4ca5-b549-1b771b280d70[/img]
16DE3849-E7D8-4EC4-A048-18C4E12ADC57.jpeg
2020-7-23
Use props
Coyut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2559222 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

The photo is completly unsharp. So I can't see anything.

Do you have the CDNG licence?

Without any licence (ProRes or CDNG) the ssd is uselesss and you will only be able to record h264/h264 on the MicroSD.

But just take a look at the available options and try
2020-7-23
Use props
JimmyStud
lvl.3
United States

I had to reduce the size of the pic/file to be able to post.
The options are as follows:

CinemaDNG
ProRes Raw
ProRes 422 HQ
ProRes 4444XQ

I think I am getting a grasp on how I’ve been “had”.
I purchased over $14,000.00  of  things to make this work.  I am a (renovation) Contractor by trade. I am looking to branch out, acquire my Part 107, add drone footage in my estimates,  get involved with the Wilmington movie, commercial and actual commercial scene.  I already use a much smaller/cheaper/SPARK,  to check up on my subs, for friends that have had stuff done and storm damages.
Of course, at this time, I do not benefit financially directly, or indirectly from my flights.

All of that being said, I was under the impression that I would be able to use the 480gb SSD as onboard memory, just not at the high quality of CDNG or Apple ProRes.  
  (To answer your first question)  NO, I do not possess either, ProRes or CDNG Licenses.   Also, I now look at the resolution  options those six little letters (ProRes) are incorporated in all of them.
Can you clarify, h264/h264?, it sounds a bid redundant.

I guess, my understanding is  the $949.00 (480GB SSD) and  $189.00 (Cinestation 3.0)  are of absolutely zero usability, until I acquire the Apple ProRes and/or CDNG licensing?
DEFINITELY NOT as I understood it when ordered.

Coyote.  I sincerely appreciate any and all assistance.
Thanks
Jim
2020-7-24
Use props
ingscm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6228973 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

JimmyStud Posted at 7-24 02:58
I had to reduce the size of the pic/file to be able to post.
The options are as follows:

You just need to buy a few 128 GB TF cards
2020-9-7
Use props
Coyut
lvl.4
  • >>>
Switzerland

Without the ProRes or CDNG license your ssd is pretty useless.
You will only be able to record h264 or h265 video in a. mov or mp4 container to the MicroSD. Photos are only beeing stored to the MicroSD anyway. There is just one exclusion. Burst mode pictures go on the ssd as well.
2020-9-7
Use props
JimmyStud
lvl.3
United States

In responds to ingscm:
I purchased 3 Samsung PRO 128GB UHS-3 MicroSDXC;
As well as 3 SanDisk - 128GB microSDXC High Endurance UHS-I Memory Card
When i purchased the I2 and crystalsky
Thank you for your timely response

In response to Coyot:
Firstly, I apologize for incorrectly spelling your username.
Secondly: i appreciate you being the bearer of bad news.  If i was royalty in medieval times, your head would be adorning a pike on my ramparts.   Jk.  
Thank you everybody for your tine and expertise.
Jim

P.S.
Maybe i should start a "Go Fund Me Page"
$1,300.00 for the licenses CNG and Apple ProRes
$1,399.00 Cendence Controler
$428.00 focus wheel
$47.00 focus wheel mount
$949.00 for an additional stick.
$4,1223 - $103 DJI credit=$4,020.00

Friggin' expensive tools to make a living

2020-9-7
Use props
JimmyStud
lvl.3
United States

In responds to ingscm:
When i purchased the I2 and crystalsky
Thank you for your timely response

In response to Coyot:
Firstly, I apologize for incorrectly spelling your username.
Secondly: i appreciate you being the bearer of bad news.  If i was royalty in medieval times, your head would be adorning a pike on my ramparts.   Jk.  
Thank you everybody for your tine and expertise.
Jim

P.S.
Maybe i should start a "Go Fund Me Page"
$1,300.00 for the licenses CNG and Apple ProRes
$1,399.00 Cendence Controler
$428.00 focus wheel
$47.00 focus wheel mount
$949.00 for an additional stick.
$4,1223 - $103 DJI credit=$4,020.00

Friggin' expensive tools to make a living
2020-9-7
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

JimmyStud Posted at 9-7 20:53
In responds to ingscm:

Don't get me wrong, but your jump from Spark to Inspire 2 class without extensive research prior to was rather brave, to put it politely. Fully equipped and licensed Inspire 2 represents top of the line piece of hardware for professional filming, actually very affordable it this category. Unfortunately you may never be able to take full advantage of it's potential. Starting a drone business in your field of expertise you will be much better with way cheaper Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom.

That said, Inspire 2 will deliver amazing imagery for years to come. Good luck ...  
2020-9-7
Use props
Coyut
lvl.4
  • >>>
Switzerland

What ever your future brings.. I'll go a bit off topic..

Don't buy the focus wheel. The X5S uses photo lenses and the X7 is the same idea just in a different housing.
The latency and accurancy of this setup is not usable. Atleast not for what I do. My dji focus whlle lays in the shelf since day2.

Cendence is a nice remote. I own 2 of them along some normal ones.
They are quiet heavy and only bring an advantage to the pilot if you shoot solo (something I almost never do on the I2).
If you shoot in dual setup you might think about getting one for the camera operator. So he can speeden up changing settings on a large production shoot where time is always a challenge.
For me the biggest advantage is the side potentiometer, which allows the camera operator to change gimbal speed on the fly. So if you swap lenses and need/want to change it its just a tiny twist on the potentiometer.
If you get really experienced you can also change it in the move so a close tracking car shot might need more gimbal speed but once you fly by you can lower it to get a smoother shot.
My reocmendation would be stock rc for the pilot, as it is much lighter and a cendence for the op.

The whole setup sounds expensive. A I2 / X7 setup to work a whole day on a set cost you 20-25k. Which is actually not that much for what you can do with it.
And you'll need at identical, complete backup drone, multiple ssd's, multiple readers etc. to qualify for good payed jobs. You don't want to have a problem an tell the director the shot is not going to happen.
For me all the I2 setups were a great investment. By the end of this year I used various I2's for 4 years. Each has paid paid off in a pretty short time.
But it all depends on your work. A good drone alone will not do any magic. Cinematography and being a flying cameraman is a skill that needs to be learned from the ground up with a lot of practice.
Having a good eye for framing, setting up shots and imagining what a DOP or director wants is also crucial.  
You'll also need a big network to get known to people that could hire you.

So this was a lot of off topic. Since the question was already answerd I though I give you some input to your "found me" idea.

PS:
Laws are also changing a lot. Depending on your location even very soon.
In Europe you won't be able to fly any current drone in a urban enviroment after January 1.st 2021.
So facts like these are also to consider before doing a new investment. I stay on my current drones and will sell them once a new certified version, that will allow to fly in urban zones again, will be available.
I guess soon a lot of European drones will leave the continent to find a new buyer wher they still can be used in a wide area.

2020-9-8
Use props
JimmyStud
lvl.3
United States

[b]In response to Matthew:  
I appreciate your ‘polite’ critique.  And, yes, I am extremely brave as well as forward thinking, talented, genius, and damn good looking.  This is something I dislike about posting, texting or emailing, you cannot hear my tone.  My statements for my very last post were mostly tongue-in-cheek, eh?
Yes. Kinda like that.
I chose to go with the I2 and X7 to save money, skipping the “less professional/upgradable”  drones (no offense to owners or pilots of other drones).  Since you do not know me or my flying or photographic abilities, be by RC plane, drone, SLR, or video, this makes the best sense to me.  My biggest problem doing my extensive research was too much conflicting information.  Some posters, on way too many sites,  put up misleading or just straight up incorrect information aboot compatibilities as well as capabilities of all models of drones.  Soory, a little joke in thereI (just like entertaining myself).
Again, I appreciate any constructive input from members who have been using the Inspire 2, especially with the Zenmuse X7.

Coyut:
Thanks for your very detailed explanation regarding the focus wheel.  From all I have read about it, it appeared to be required to be able to do the camera work I have in mind.  As soon as my finances level out a bit more from this pandemic crap, I am acquiring the Cendence for my cousin, who is going to be my cameraman, I’d put up his resume (as well as mine) but it’s not really necessary...
The more important question would be regarding the licenses, Apple ProRes or CDNG or both?  I am an Apple as well as Windows user.  I prefer Mac and am acquiring another stupid expensive MacBook Pro, pretty much maxed out,  to run my downloading and editing in the field when required.  I also have purchased a couple of Samsung 2 TB SSD portable drives.  Oh yes, any opinions on photogrammetry and editing software?  I have not looked very hard for mapping yet and am finding conflicting information on Apple’s Final Cut Pro X.  One more, I have also found conflicting information regarding compatibility of
Zenmuse FLIR XT.  
ANYONE.  Just give it to me straight, is it compatible with the Inspire 2 or not?  I am aware of the M 100-200-600 drones, I have seen videos of it mounted to it an Inspire 1.   I’ve heard someone’s review  of it on YouTube (not actually seen, sorry all of my extensive research kind of gets overlapped) it is compatible with the Inspire 2, mostly not though.
Thank you for the information regarding the European law changes.  I will now wait to acquire my backup I2.  
Oh yeah, the ‘go fund me’ page thing was a joke also.  I don’t know of anybody who would give money to a dude they do not know for something some people consider a “TOY”.  Shame on them.

Thank you both for the information and well wishes.  I’ll take all the positive energy I can get in this crazy time in my country.
Sincerely,
Jim
2020-9-8
Use props
Coojeebear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 572484 ft
United Kingdom

Jim, I enjoyed your postings, but don't trust everyting you read on the Internet.

The XT camera runs on an Inspire 1, not on an Inspire 2.

There - hope I helped a little.
2020-9-9
Use props
Coyut
lvl.4
  • >>>
Switzerland

There is no dji thermal camera for the I2.
DJI decided to only release them for the M series since the I1.
The only exception is the M2P E.  

For cinematic jobs you won't need the focus wheel.
Its crap!!!
We do jobs for cinema, tv and highend commercials.
I never used the dji focus wheel as its crap and not reliable. It does not even hold marked points correctly. On top of that there will be almost no I2 job where you will have to pull focus in flight.
It would be great if we could use it for aperture... but the photo style lenses can't do it fluid. If you pull aperture it will change in steps. Completly unusable.
If you have a job where aperture or focus has to be pulled the I2 is the wrong tool as you can't do it with it smoothly.

Photogrametrie..
The X7 is a great low budget video solution. But crap for still pictures. Neither the sensor or the lenses are good for it. We use the good old P4P's for these kind of jobs and get better results.
2020-9-9
Use props
Coyut
lvl.4
  • >>>
Switzerland

CDNG or ProRes?
If you want to offer aerial videography you'll need both.
Highend jobs usually want the best quality you can deliver, which comes from CDNG 6K on the I2 with X7.
But it requires more post production and a much more powerfull editing system.
Projects on a budget, with less budget for post or weaker editing systems want ProRes.
We shot 95% CDNG, but it really depends on your customer base.
Personally I also prefer CDNG, as the image quality is superior. But many standard projects can't handle the overhead it produces in a project.
I'm also not a fan of ProRes raw as I don't like how it handles the highlight roll off.
2020-9-9
Use props
Coyut
lvl.4
  • >>>
Switzerland

Editing:

I use Premiere Pro, Davinci Resolve and Edius.
My favorit one is Premiere Pro. But it always depends on the needs of a project.

Many years ago we also edited in the field.
But nowadays we either hand the ssd's over to a DIT on location or if we edit our self we do it at the office on our very powerfull edit solution.
You don't want to edit CDNG on a laptop
2020-9-9
Use props
JimmyStud
lvl.3
United States

Coyut:
Most sincere thanks for the information shared.   I’m not made of $money,  but I wouldn’t consider me to be “on a budget”.  I am willing to spend however much I need to so I can support my Family.  Short of ‘super hexacopter’ and a MAC PRO Cheese Grater ($60K).   image from Vice.com
So no editing on a laptop?  How about if it has
?
OR

I hope the pics show up.

Thanks again for your input.
Jim

2020-9-10
Use props
Mike9129
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4112812 ft
Ireland