Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flight range issue
764 10 2020-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans9d8f6b0f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 466516 ft
United States

I can't get my MM out to even a half mile without it losing connection to the RC.

The settings in the app for distance are almost 5000', nearly a mile.

Did I end up with an EU instead of USA radio?

I'm in a very sparcly populated rural area and also ensured a completely clear line of sight with nothing between my RC and MM, and kept the RC antenna properly orientation.
2020-7-23
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. May I know where the drone was purchased? If the drone was purchased in the US the drone will be a FCC version. Kindly please try refreshing the firmware of the DJI Mavic Mini using the DJI Assistant 2 . There may be something in the area that is causing the interference, please try flying in a different location to isolate the issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-7-24
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Any electromagnetic objects in or near the flight area?
2020-7-24
Use props
djiuser_uLDHlPc0pRKa
lvl.1
United Kingdom

is your phone/tablet in Airplane mode?
2020-7-24
Use props
Karl K
lvl.2
Flight distance : 138205 ft
United States

Any number of things can cause interference and reduce the transmission range. Most of those (crowded WiFi environment, transformers, power lines, etc.) are urban problems, though. Aviation radar might do it, or strong microwave transmissions (think point-to-point transmissions used for e.g. rural phone service backbones), but I'm just guessing. There could also be a bad electrical connection in the area causing broad-spectrum RF static. Even the geology of the area could have an effect.

Also, as the other poster said, try putting your phone in airplane mode. The radios could interfere with the DJI controller (unlikely, but who can tell). Mind you, you wouldn't get map coverage unless you happened to cache the map area before entering airplane mode.

2020-7-25
Use props
fans9d8f6b0f
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-24 01:58
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. May I know where the drone was purchased? If the drone was purchased in the US the drone will be a FCC version. Kindly please try refreshing the firmware of the DJI Mavic Mini using the DJI Assistant 2 . There may be something in the area that is causing the interference, please try flying in a different location to isolate the issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.

Thank you. My computer is in the repair shop and it's been too windy here.
2020-7-28
Use props
fans9d8f6b0f
lvl.2
United States

Karl K Posted at 7-25 10:17
Any number of things can cause interference and reduce the transmission range. Most of those (crowded WiFi environment, transformers, power lines, etc.) are urban problems, though. Aviation radar might do it, or strong microwave transmissions (think point-to-point transmissions used for e.g. rural phone service backbones), but I'm just guessing. There could also be a bad electrical connection in the area causing broad-spectrum RF static. Even the geology of the area could have an effect.

Also, as the other poster said, try putting your phone in airplane mode. The radios could interfere with the DJI controller (unlikely, but who can tell). Mind you, you wouldn't get map coverage unless you happened to cache the map area before entering airplane mode.

Thank you for the thorough response. My spark does just fine in the same flight area.
2020-7-28
Use props
fans9d8f6b0f
lvl.2
United States

Karl K Posted at 7-25 10:17

I'm not seeing how to cache the map.
2020-7-28
Use props
fans9d8f6b0f
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-24 01:58
This evening was finally low wind enough and I thought of a place nearby with a mile clear over recently mowed Hayfield who's owner I know and my wife had time to be the binocular spotter and yeah, she worked out to almost a mile from that location a mile North from my house that wouldn't let me fly even a half mile.

Now I'm tasked with finding what at or near my house is messing with my MM radios.

I do live a mile from a 50KW ERP TV station operating at about 175 mHz but I don't believe that should be messing with 2.4 gHz yet alone 5.8 gHz signals in the drone.

I now wonder if the TV in my house may be a problem since it allows me to 'cast' from my phone to it. Is that WiFi or Bluetooth?

BTW, during my successful 1 mile range test this evening I did NOT place my phone into airplane mode.

I still want to solve this range issue from my house since that's where I like flying from.

I sure hope this will not be a problem with the MA2 I've on order, if u ever ship.
2020-7-29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

fans9d8f6b0f Posted at 7-28 12:19
Thank you. My computer is in the repair shop and it's been too windy here.

You are more than welcome. Please keep us posted, if you are still experiencing this issue after completing this troubleshooting step. Thank you.
2020-7-29
Use props
fans9d8f6b0f
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_uLDHlPc0pRKa Posted at 7-24 08:09
is your phone/tablet in Airplane mode?

I've tried it both ways and not seen any difference
2020-8-21
Use props
Advanced