Disable sensors on Mavic Air 2
11815 20 2020-7-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Anemosengineer
lvl.1
Spain

Hi guys,
I fly my drone off a fast moving sailing yacht, something which requires ALL sensors to be disabled. I am hoping to purchase the Mavic Air 2, but I am concerned about the lack of option to disable the sensors (turn off obstacle avoidance).

I have downloaded the DJI Fly app and it seems like a childs version of the DJI Go app (previously used with my Mavic Pro) and it seemed to confirm my concern since there is no setting there. However, maybe it appears after updates? Or after I connect the MAvic Air 2 to thte app?

Please can someone let me know if this option is available for the Mavic Air 2 before I purchase!
2020-7-24
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Only the downward vision sensor cannot be disabled.
2020-7-24
Use props
Anemosengineer
lvl.1
Spain

JJB* Posted at 7-24 04:28

In which menu setting can the other sensors be disabled?

Am I correct in saying that my previous Mavic Pro was the same? I disabled all sensors, but when I landed I always remember it pauses before landing even with sensors disabled...if this is the same as my previous drone then I am happy...what I don´t want is that when I try to hand recover it that the drone reacts...
2020-7-24
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

JJB* Posted at 7-24 04:28

But they can be covered up.
2020-7-24
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft
United States

Switch to "Sport" mode and sensors are off.  I have hit 45 mph in that mode.  
2020-7-24
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 7-24 17:45
The controls in Sport mode may prove a bit touchy & imprecise for a controlled landing on a fast moving sailboat.

For sure!  I always return to normal mode at landing.
2020-7-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum and sharing your personal insights regarding this matter. I will forward this thread and suggestion to our designated DJI support team for further attention. Thank you.
2020-7-26
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can do it without any changes in sport mode. But my experience is that you may need a lot of spare props....and fingers ;-)
2020-7-26
Use props
fansd404bd1e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3383599 ft
Australia

Has anyone figured out a way to fully disable the downward/lower sensors on the Air 2S? I've tried hand catching in sport mode (which "supposedly" disables the sensors) but it will still pause on landing (which I do not want). One thing I have noticed is that, in sport mode, if i try to land it into my hand it will pause and resist (spin up super fast if i grab it too fast), but if I first bring the drone in close and hover it and then grab it, it won't spin up. It's like there's system logic in there that you can't fly down into something but if the drone is hovering and the controller isn't engaged, then you can grab it quickly without the drone spinning/raising up. This is only helpful when I am stationary on the ground, but this makes hand catching on a moving object (like a boat or vehicle) VERY difficult.

With my old Mavic Pro, using the DJI Go4 app, you can go into the app advanced settings and fully disable the downward/lower sensors. I always had this disabled for hand catching and it was amazing. It didn't "pause" during landing like some people have noted. If you weren't careful, you could actually do a hard landing on the ground. But this was VERY useful for hand catching on a boat or other moving object.

Please tell me if there's a way to fully disable the downward/lower sensors on the Air 2S. If not, hopefully DJI will strongly consider adding this setting in future DJI Fly app or firmware updates!

P.S. I really don't like the DJI Fly app compared to the DJI Go4 app. The Fly app misses a lot of detailed functionality. I'ts unfortunate DJI released a drone as advanced as the Air 2S (very close to the Mavic 2 Pro in specs) and then paired it with the Fly app, which "seems like a child's version of the DJI Go4 app" like the OP said above.
2021-7-27
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

First, I don't think any real functionality is missing in the Fly (Go5) app but rather missing is the actual capability in the drones that use it. So it seems like a beginner version.

Second, you just need to wait while pulling down on the left stick and it will land in your hand. If you are seeing it differently in hover mode then you may be just avoiding the sensor. I have seen videos explaining how to do that deliberately to avoid the drone rising up by grabbing it just behind the camera.

The only way to disable the sensor is with some tape over the lens. I do not recommend that for normal use. Hard landings will occur.

For what it is worth, I hand catch most of the time on my boat (Mini, Mini 2, MA2, A2s, M2P) and don't really have any unusual problems. But each one requires a different approach.

2021-7-27
Use props
ToneDrone
lvl.2
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 7-27 18:25
First, I don't think any real functionality is missing in the Fly (Go5) app but rather missing is the actual capability in the drones that use it. So it seems like a beginner version.

Second, you just need to wait while pulling down on the left stick and it will land in your hand. If you are seeing it differently in hover mode then you may be just avoiding the sensor. I have seen videos explaining how to do that deliberately to avoid the drone rising up by grabbing it just behind the camera.

Have you actually performed a hand catch with the Air 2S on a moving boat? Without the props spinning up like crazy? If so, please tell me how.
2021-7-27
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ToneDrone Posted at 7-27 18:34
Have you actually performed a hand catch with the Air 2S on a moving boat? Without the props spinning up like crazy? If so, please tell me how.

I have not tried this yet with the A2s on a moving boat but have done it many times with the MA2. Should be the same. Put your hand in front with the thumb and pointing finger around the camera and grip the upper body. It takes practice to keep from nicking your fingers. Or if your hand is stronger (thumb and middle finger?) than mine, grip the body under the front "wings" instead.
2021-7-27
Use props
ToneDrone
lvl.2
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 7-27 18:40
I have not tried this yet with the A2s on a moving boat but have done it many times with the MA2. Should be the same. Put your hand in front with the thumb and pointing finger around the camera and grip the upper body. It takes practice to keep from nicking your fingers. Or if your hand is stronger (thumb and middle finger?) than mine, grip the body under the front "wings" instead.

Thanks. OK, so similar to hand catching with the Mini. Basically just avoiding the sensor's "vision." A bit more dangerous for the fingers. Not ideal, but a possible work-around at least.

Maybe I'll just tape over the sensors if I know I'll need to hand catch on a moving object. Have you tried this? Wonder if it would cause any issues in-flight.

I hope DJI will add a setting on future app/firmware updates to be able to fully disable the downward/lower sensors!
2021-7-27
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ToneDrone Posted at 7-27 18:52
Thanks. OK, so similar to hand catching with the Mini. Basically just avoiding the sensor's "vision." A bit more dangerous for the fingers.  Not ideal, but a possible work-around at least.

Maybe I'll just tape over the sensors if I know I'll need to hand catch on a moving object. Have you tried this? Wonder if it would cause any issues in-flight.

It should not cause a lot of issues as long as you stay above about 30 feet altitude. That is the limit of the down sensor set. But.... I would have lost my MA2 once when I was flying about 15 feet above the water and doing some fast sideways flying in sport mode. Without the sensor working, it would have splashed down. Fortunately it stopped and took control from me just in time ;-) DJI may be smarter than I.

No, I have avoided taping over the sensor after just one try and noticed the vary hard landing in normal operation.
2021-7-27
Use props
ToneDrone
lvl.2
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 7-27 18:59
It should not cause a lot of issues as long as you stay above about 30 feet altitude. That is the limit of the down sensor set. But.... I would have lost my MA2 once when I was flying about 15 feet above the water and doing some fast sideways flying in sport mode. Without the sensor working, it would have splashed down. Fortunately it stopped and took control from me just in time ;-) DJI may be smarter than I.

No, I have avoided taping over the sensor after just one try and noticed the vary hard landing in normal operation.

Thanks mate. For clarification... What are you referring to that "...should not cause a lot of issues as long as you stay above about 30 feet altitude..."?
2021-7-27
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4
Flight distance : 721555 ft

Japan

Sport mode + residue less duct tape,

or switch to atti mode on PC using DJI Assistant + Parameter hack.

Both can work on a yacht.

2021-7-27
Use props
ToneDrone
lvl.2
United States

FriedChicken_II Posted at 7-27 23:57
Sport mode + residue less duct tape,

or switch to atti mode on PC using DJI Assistant + Parameter hack.

I have never heard of this "switch to atti mode on PC using DJI Assistant + Parameter hack" before. Will have to look into it. I'm not a fan of atti mode due to altitude limit.
2021-7-28
Use props
FriedChicken_II
lvl.4
Flight distance : 721555 ft

Japan

ToneDrone Posted at 7-28 00:24
I have never heard of this "switch to atti mode on PC using DJI Assistant + Parameter hack" before. Will have to look into it. I'm not a fan of atti mode due to altitude limit.

Atti mode altitude limitation ( < 3m ) only works when you were below 3 meters.

Which means, you can enable the atti mode once if you get higher than that. And there would be no height limit other than the one you've set on DJI Fly.
2021-7-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ToneDrone Posted at 7-27 23:32
Thanks mate. For clarification... What are you referring to that "...should not cause a lot of issues as long as you stay above about 30 feet altitude..."?

The typical range of the down sensor set is about 30 feet. Above that it is not used and the drone uses the "baro" sensor instead.
2021-7-28
Use props
geordw
New

Australia

Hi, I use the air 2 to fly taglines (for highlining), and the downward sensors pickup the tagline, interrupting flying a lot. I tried taping over all the downward sensors (all four) and got excellen results. It makes hand catching much easier, and much less issues with the tagline interfering with sensors. One has to be very careful landing on the ground though -- I recommend catching each time.
2-4 15:23
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

geordw Posted at 2-4 15:23
Hi, I use the air 2 to fly taglines (for highlining), and the downward sensors pickup the tagline, interrupting flying a lot. I tried taping over all the downward sensors (all four) and got excellen results. It makes hand catching much easier, and much less issues with the tagline interfering with sensors. One has to be very careful landing on the ground though -- I recommend catching each time.

Hi, there. Thank you for sharing your tips with us. Please be cautious with your flight environment and find a suitable place to land your drone to prevent inconvenience. We thank you for your support.
2-6 02:04
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules