New firmware issue, glitches on video and photo files.
2121 15 2020-7-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
martin.grosymail.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1017871 ft
Canada

Hi,
In my recent shoot (yesterday), I have digital glitches on my footage and my pictures (raw).
The glitches are inconsistents, they appeared on various part of my images, in video, sometimes the glitch will freeze the video for some frames then go back to normal.
On my 300 timelapse shoot, 10 pictures are corrupted.

I shoot entirely in 4k 30 fps, mixing HQ and full fov, h265 .mov and D-log. (multiple SD card have been used)
Never had this issue before, aircraft has been updated to Firmware: v01.00.0670 prior to this shoot.
edit: This happenned on 4 differents memory cards, also this same kit of cards has been used without an issue for the last 4 months in this mavic unit.

Here is a folder containing 2 DNG pictures and 2 clips with this issue :
https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... QLOhbaI?usp=sharing

Here are some screenshot from those files for quickview:
Capture d’écran, le 2020-07-24 à 09.09.51.jpg

Capture d’écran, le 2020-07-24 à 09.10.04.jpg

Capture d’écran, le 2020-07-24 à 09.08.42.jpg

And some low res jpg output from the DNG for quickview as well
200723-mont_royal_drone_tl_02-0041.jpg

200723-mont_royal_drone_tl_02-0142.jpg

Somebody already experienced that ? Any idea ?
Does it comes from the new firmware update ? Sensor ? file writting ?

My next step is to reinstall the firmware and test it.

Thanks.

2020-7-24
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Belgium

You might try a different memory card too.
2020-7-24
Use props
KDP +
lvl.4
Flight distance : 947930 ft
Belgium

Yes, try to find out if you only witness this problem using memory card(s), and not with internal storage...?
2020-7-24
Use props
martin.grosymail.com
lvl.2
Canada

Hi all thanks for you reply, I forgot to precise in my first message (I will edit original post), but yes I did tried various memory cards, I also tested on my usual kit which always worked 100%.
It also happened on 2 consecutive shoots, I didn't had time to review the footage between those two shoots when I came back late at home on the first day.
Please note that I'm a professional videographer, I did the usual verification on my side prior to post.

It's definitively from drone side, but I can't determine if it's from hardware or software, all I know is it's started after new firmware installed (correctly).
I did a full reinstallation of the latest firmware, I will do extensive testing this week end to try reproduce the issue.
2020-7-24
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Belgium

If you have updated using the latest Assistent 2 for mavic a 2nd time and the problem is intermittent, I would start to suspect the hardware.

I'm flying a M2P with a SC, both on the latest firmware and app software with no problems. If it's the firmware, more of us should experience the same kind of problems.
2020-7-25
Use props
martin.grosymail.com
lvl.2
Canada

JohnDG Posted at 7-25 02:01
If you have updated using the latest Assistent 2 for mavic a 2nd time and the problem is intermittent, I would start to suspect the hardware.

I'm flying a M2P with a SC, both on the latest firmware and app software with no problems. If it's the firmware, more of us should experience the same kind of problems.

Hi John, yes I totally agree with your statement.
That's why I posted in the forum, to see if fellow users experienced the same issue with the new firmware.

Thanks you for replying, I'll test carefully in the next few days.
What's worry me it's it happened on both videos and photo, on different memory cards, so it's not the card and not the video wrapper/codec.

Cheers.
2020-7-25
Use props
JasonWilli
lvl.2

India

I had also facing this issues couple of months ago, when I view photos from SD card some of those corrupted or blur. Then I used Stellar software for repair my corrupted image files it's work great and fix this issue. Thanks!
2020-7-31
Use props
martin.grosymail.com
lvl.2
Canada

JasonWilli Posted at 7-31 00:21
I had also facing this issues couple of months ago, when I view photos from SD card some of those corrupted or blur. Then I used Stellar software for repair my corrupted image files it's work great and fix this issue. Thanks!

Hi Jason,
I tested recovery software including stellar on both photos and videos, but it didn't worked.
The files aren't corrupted but it seems that the data has been wrongly written, all my recovery result end up with the same glitches...

Did a quick test at home but wasn't able to reproduce the issue, I will do an extensive testing the up coming week.

Cheers.
2020-7-31
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

Well, I would try to go back one rev (the rev. before your heartache started), and see if all come back to the way it was,
My gut tells me it was the update you just did that hobbled your AC....
2020-7-31
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Belgium

martin.grosymail.com Posted at 7-31 05:23
Hi Jason,
I tested recovery software including stellar on both photos and videos, but it didn't worked.
The files aren't corrupted but it seems that the data has been wrongly written, all my recovery result end up with the same glitches...

Martin,

you did format the memory card in the drone, not your pc or IMac ?

Same goes for camera's (DSLR or mirrorless). Always format your memory cards in the device where it is used. A pc tend to follow the formatting of the memory card. Any camera / drone can have problems with cards formatted by a computer.
2020-8-1
Use props
martin.grosymail.com
lvl.2
Canada

JohnDG Posted at 8-1 01:50
Martin,

you did format the memory card in the drone, not your pc or IMac ?

Hi John,
Yes, I'm 100% sure isn't a memory card fault.
Please keep in mind that I'm a pro user working with high end cameras (red, arri, canon etc) for decade. I did all the "usual" troubleshooting before posting here because it really pointed something happening at the frame encoding. Error appeared randomly on the footage from 3 different memory card, formatted in the Mavic. Files aren't corrupted, they play well but the content is wrongly encoded, so recovery software was useless. Photos and videos are both affected.

I did a firmware refresh and some recording without issue, but I don't feel I have enough testing yet to be sure it won't coming back.

I have many shoots coming this week, I'll be able to get a full range of footage and situation to analyse.

Thanks !
2020-8-2
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Belgium

martin.grosymail.com Posted at 8-2 10:39
Hi John,
Yes, I'm 100% sure isn't a memory card fault.
Please keep in mind that I'm a pro user working with high end cameras (red, arri, canon etc) for decade. I did all the "usual" troubleshooting before posting here because it really pointed something happening at the frame encoding. Error appeared randomly on the footage from 3 different memory card, formatted in the Mavic. Files aren't corrupted, they play well but the content is wrongly encoded, so recovery software was useless. Photos and videos are both affected.

Succes, Martin.

As a pro user, you should indeed have some experience with memory cards. I'm mainly into photography with my M2P, which tags along in my photobag. Not so much videography.
As I didn't experience any disturbancies in my pictures, using the latest firmware and software, I tend to think of hardware problems.

On the pictures you showed, it seems like some pixels are missing in the center of your photographs and the rest is shifting to the left. Like some information is lost in the buffer whilest processing the data from the sensor.

In the past, I experienced some problems when trying to replace the firmware, using the wifi. Had to reinstall the same firmware. Since then I only update using my pc and the Assistent 2 program.
2020-8-3
Use props
martin.grosymail.com
lvl.2
Canada

JohnDG Posted at 8-3 00:07
Succes, Martin.

As a pro user, you should indeed have some experience with memory cards. I'm mainly into photography with my M2P, which tags along in my photobag. Not so much videography.

Hi John,
Thanks for your reply, I also tend to think it's hardware issue, saying that, my second day of shoot just after this one and without firmware refresh has been flawless. My minor tests at home has been clean as well.

This afternoon the Mavic will shoot timelapse and video a lot on my desk to get many GB of footage to analyze.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers.
2020-8-3
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Belgium

martin.grosymail.com Posted at 8-3 05:36
Hi John,
Thanks for your reply, I also tend to think it's hardware issue, saying that, my second day of shoot just after this one and without firmware refresh has been flawless. My minor tests at home has been clean as well.

Hi Martin,

could it, that you flew thru a beam connection (radio / tv / ...) ?
A former drone of mine flew thru such a beam of a parabolic antenna used for point-to-point radio / tv transmission. The signal of the drone acted very strange. After getting the drone back, I saw I flew my drone in the same direction where that antenna pointed to.

cheers
2020-8-3
Use props
martin.grosymail.com
lvl.2
Canada

JohnDG Posted at 8-3 05:48
Hi Martin,

could it, that you flew thru a beam connection (radio / tv / ...) ?

I can't dismiss totally this hypothesis as I was shooting on the Mont-Royal park in Montreal, this mountain have some telecommunications towers indeed.

Saying that:
- I was far away from them when the issue occurred.
- My second shoot was exactly at the same place and even closer to these antennas and had no issue at all.
- I might be wrong but in my knowledge telecommunications antenna can affect the radio com between AC and controller but affecting the image writing mean you are extremely close to a powerful one ? In my experience, a sensor from any Djji/Sony/canon etc cameras aren't usually affected by civilian antennas in the surrounding ?!
2020-8-3
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Belgium

martin.grosymail.com Posted at 8-3 05:58
I can't dismiss totally this hypothesis as I was shooting on the Mont-Royal park in Montreal, this mountain have some telecommunications towers indeed.

Saying that:

Hi Martin,

probably a high frequency beam won't affect the sensor itself. I was more thinking in an aberation in the clock frequency of the videoprocessor. But since you been flying in the same area without much problems ...
Hope you're good now without problems. It's hatefull when trying to do a job and finding out that the images are distorted.

cheers.
2020-8-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules