Battery Temperature after flight
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Smashey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29406 ft

Ireland

Hi
I'm flying a borrowed Phantom 3 Pro and notice the battery temperatures creaping up during long flights. Typical example - 17 minute flight on overcast but warm evening with ambient temp around 20 degrees C battery started at 25C and finished at 58C. Started with 100% and had about 15% charge left at the end of the flight. Would these be normal figures. Both the drone and the batteries have seen very little use since new but are obviously a few years old at this stage. Should I be concerned?
2020-7-24
Use props
Smashey
lvl.2

Ireland

Should add, variety of flying with an equal mix of hovering/slow flight & medium/full stick maneuvers
2020-7-24
Use props
JetSam
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

Hi Smashey !!  i recommend you get up early, I usually fly very early to avoid the same, overheat the device and the batteries. In this way, your device and batteries will last longer.
2020-7-24
Use props
JetSam
First Officer
Spain

2020-7-24
Use props
Smashey
lvl.2

Ireland

Thanks Jetsam. I’d normally fly early morning and most of my flight experience is with the Mavic Air 2 - where I don’t see such wide temperature changes with the batteries.

I’m really just checking to see if the peak temperature of around 58c indicated a possible fault with the phantom 3 Pro. I had both batteries get up to that temp. Knowing this I can limit my flight time
2020-7-24
Use props
JetSam
First Officer
Spain

58c indicated a possible fault  ... in my oppinion yes , such high temperature will lead to certain failure
2020-7-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I few my P2 last week and it landed at 67C.  That's higher than I have ever had.  I know it's partly due to the ambient summer air temp.  Plus I had hovered for 5 mins pre flight.  Plus it was a long flight.  I've had quite a few flights where the temp got up to the 50's C.  But not on purpose.  I try to keep it as cool as possible.  I haven't had a problem with an over-heated battery yet, but I don't want to tempt fate either!  

2020-7-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Smashey. Thank you for reaching out and for there information you have shared with us. The Operating Temperature Range for the DJI Phantom 3 Pro is at 32° to 104°F ( 0° to 40°C ). I would suggest for you to keep an eye on the battery settings on the DJI Go application. If the temperature gets too high to fly, the DJI Go application will warning you or give out an error message. Thank you and fly safe always.
2020-7-26
Use props
Smashey
lvl.2

Ireland

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-26 20:06
Hello there Smashey. Thank you for reaching out and for there information you have shared with us. The Operating Temperature Range for the DJI Phantom 3 Pro is at 32° to 104°F ( 0° to 40°C ). I would suggest for you to keep an eye on the battery settings on the DJI Go application. If the temperature gets too high to fly, the DJI Go application will warning you or give out an error message. Thank you and fly safe always.

Thank you Stephen

I was looking for guidance on the battery temperature itself - when supplying load in normal flight. The drone and battery were operating in climatic conditions that met the operating range - in this case around 20 degrees C - but obviously the battery itself heats up in use. My concern was that a rise from 25 to 58 degrees C over the duration of a 17 minute flight was excessive and may indicate a problem. I normally fly a Mavic Air 2 and the battery on that aircraft does not heat up anywhere nearly as much or so quickly. Thanks
2020-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules