Can you use DJI SDK to create drone swarms?
7212 6 2020-7-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI_Chachi
lvl.2
United States

Currently this is not officially supported through DJI's standard SDKs and drones but it is on the table to evaluate for potential future development.
In the meanwhile, the Tello drone developed by Ryze Tech and powered by DJI flight controller is capable of swarm technology - see below for some resources to get started:

• Tello EDU Drone Swarming Tutorial with Packet Sender and Python: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIsddY4SKgA
  • Tello EDU: https://www.ryzerobotics.com/news/announcing-the-programmable-tello-edu-drone-page

~Chachi from the DJI Developer Support Team

2020-7-24
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Autonomous drone swarming for emergency mapping and intelligence would definitely be cool.

You can cover Vast amounts of areas than just flying up one at a time.
2020-10-1
Use props
distressedleader
lvl.2
United States

I have multiple Tello in swarms, I really want to fly other bigger drones (e.g. MINI) in swarms. Tello is not good at flying outdoor (at least with winds).
2022-1-5
Use props
mk-Thor
lvl.1
Flight distance : 616066 ft
  • >>>
Spain

What is the status on this?
I would like to have several mini/mini 2 search for missing persons over a large area.
2022-1-25
Use props
Mats Bohlinsson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1838077 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

mk-Thor Posted at 1-25 14:40
What is the status on this?
I would like to have several mini/mini 2 search for missing persons over a large area.

You can, but you need to have a remote and phone for each drone. And an app that can handle it, I've tried and it's doable. You can have an app running on desktop that controls everything from there.

I don't expect that dji release something else for a while, since everything is built on communicating through the remote. To have a remote connected to several drones would need _big_ change, I wouldn't dare :-)

However, since mavic3 supports 4g-dongle it could be a future solution, skipping the remote all together.
2022-1-27
Use props
djiuser_Y9SrMuvtDJbf
New

Canada

Mats Bohlinsson Posted at 1-27 00:44
You can, but you need to have a remote and phone for each drone. And an app that can handle it, I've tried and it's doable. You can have an app running on desktop that controls everything from there.

Hi. This sounds very interesting. How should the Mavic receive the commands without the remote control then? Can I contact you with some questions regarding swarming the drones?
2022-2-9
Use props
Mats Bohlinsson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1838077 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

djiuser_Y9SrMuvtDJbf Posted at 2-9 17:15
Hi. This sounds very interesting. How should the Mavic receive the commands without the remote control then? Can I contact you with some questions regarding swarming the drones?

I think you misunderstood me.
You need one remote for each drone.
10 drones = 10 remotes.

The only hope is the 4g dongle for the mavic3. If someone reverse that, which shouldnt be very hard, you goog to go :-)
2022-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules