Propellers rotating too fast. Maybe only temporary.
7097 8 2020-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

It’s been exactly three weeks since I last flew my Mavic Mini and all of that time it has been sitting, with propellers properly folded, in the Fly More case.  And the first thing I notice is that the Mini took off at an angle and that it whine was higher pitched than usual.  Uh oh!

A minute later into the flight I get the “propellers rotating too fast” error.  I land it and see that the right rear is beeping.  I feel the prop and I wipe a little dried bug debris off, but otherwise it feels OK.  So turn it off and back on and take off again.

Everything is good for around 5 more minutes until I get the message again.  I land the Mini and now the left rear is beeping.  The props feel perfectly fine, but I wipe them clean anyway and take off again.

This time the Mini flies without errors and I even put it in sport mode for a while and I land it when the battery gets low.  No problems.

As the warning message suggests, the propellers seem to un warp on their own after some flight time.  Maybe..  I’ll check again tomorrow morning.  And if it sounds too high pitched. I'll change the original props.

2020-7-25
Use props
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

Update:
I flew the Mini after it rested on a table for an entire day (with the arms unfolded.)  I didn't change the propellers and the error never showed up.  On P-mode I tested the top speed and it reached 18mph.  No problems there. No problems in sport mode either.  Also, the hum at hover was much lower lower pitched than yesterday and it flew straight up from the launchpad.  The problem seems to sort itself out after flying a bit and not putting it in the Fly More case.

Don't leave the Mini in the Fly More case without being used for too long.  Even if you've folded the props correctly.   I suspect this is why I had some strange shaking and motors sounds its maiden flight in February., but worked fine after a few flights.

I won't be using the Fly More case for long term storage any more.
2020-7-26
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting post. Thanks for sharing your experience.
2020-7-26
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Many thanks for sharing your insight
2020-7-27
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Many thanks for sharing your insight
2020-7-27
Use props
djiuser_BoOtJLd2ovoU
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3716860 ft
United States

Thanks. This has been driving me nuts. I'll leave out & open now.
2020-7-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there The Duck. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these informative information with us. With regards to the error message you are receiving on the DJI Fly application. To ensure a safe and enjoyable flying experience with your DJI Mavic MIni, DJI have added a new safety notification feature on the DJI Mavic Mini in the latest v01.00.0500 firmware. This new feature lets customers know when propellers need to be inspected or replaced. In addition I will post an official DJI thread with regards to this matter. Thank you.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-214705-1-1.html
2020-7-27
Use props
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

Another update, nearly a month later.

I haven't been using the Fly More case at all anymore.  I've just been letting the Mini lie on its belly on top of a small box.  The arms extended, but not touching the table or box under it  Now I'm flying mostly in Sport Mode and the Mini is working great.  Zero problems and still on the original propellers.

Another thing I would suggest users not do is put their Minis and batteries in the Fly More case right after a flying.  The heat from the batteries and the aircraft might exacerbate warping of the propellers.

I'd like to get the Dome charging base as looks really nice and seems ideal for long term storage.  https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-mini-charging-base

2020-8-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

The Duck Posted at 8-22 06:09
Another update, nearly a month later.

I haven't been using the Fly More case at all anymore.  I've just been letting the Mini lie on its belly on top of a small box.  The arms extended, but not touching the table or box under it  Now I'm flying mostly in Sport Mode and the Mini is working great.  Zero problems and still on the original propellers.

i use a PGYtech case for my MM in wich the blades are free to move....

cheers
JJB
2020-8-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules