Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Minimum specs for smooth DJI 4k playback and editing?
3404 6 2020-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Magniko
lvl.1

Norway

Hi all, I have been using DJI products for almost 3 years now. I have made a few videos, but I have also incorporated recordings into my travel videos aswell.
However my main problem is that editing 4k footage with Premiere Pro can be kinda difficult without using proxies on my current PC, a Thinkpad T440P with a still very powerful i7 4710MQ processors that doesn't lag far behind even some of the latest laptop processors out there.

So I wonder what kind of specs one would need at the minimum to be able to play back the 4k DJI videos with ease in Premiere Pro? Could it have something to do with the fact that my CPU(or GPU 730M) does not have HEVC codecs?
Let me know what specs you have and if your PC can meet that requirement.
2020-7-26
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try 4K30 in H.264
2020-7-27
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Check if your PC is overloaded to start with when running you normal editing session. Simultaneously press Ctrl Alt Del to take you to Task Manager.
In the Processes tab, watch the heading % for CPU, MEMORY, DISK and GPU. All these need to be in the low % and never close to 100%.
Things you might do. You need at least 8gb of memory. Memory is far more important than processor speed.
Work only from your hard drive. Nothing is faster. Ideally, you should defrag after deleting all files in the trash.
Exit all apps you can that aren't necessary for editing. The less the processor has to do, the more is available for editing.
Consider a different editor. Do you actually use all the bells &  whistles in the app or is it just bloat. A pro app won't  make videos better, in itself. Only you can do that, provided the app does all you actually use.

2020-7-27
Use props
Magniko
lvl.1

Norway

A J Posted at 7-27 06:20
Try 4K30 in H.264

I only run 24FPS, and had this problem on the Phantom 3 2.7k too to some extent. Worse with 4k
2020-7-28
Use props
Magniko
lvl.1

Norway

AlansDronePics Posted at 7-27 11:56
Check if your PC is overloaded to start with when running you normal editing session. Simultaneously press Ctrl Alt Del to take you to Task Manager.
In the Processes tab, watch the heading % for CPU, MEMORY, DISK and GPU. All these need to be in the low % and never close to 100%.
Things you might do. You need at least 8gb of memory. Memory is far more important than processor speed.

I noticed that my CPU maxes out whenever the 4k video is played. And barely any of my GPU is utilized that could help with rendering. It's a GT 730M so it might be close to useless for that task. I wonder if upgrading to a T480 with a MX 150 would make a difference in rendering the video
2020-7-28
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

I use a Dell XPS15 with i9 processor and 32gb ram, internal ssd. It never goes over 40% CPU with Adobe premier Elements 2020.
I did use Prem Pro, but never got to grips with it.
It seems most things can be done easily with PE and many automated.
2020-7-28
Use props
Magniko
lvl.1

Norway

I'm now editing DJI Mavic videos on my Thinkpad and they seem much more optimized on video playback than the Phantom 3 Pro videos. No more choppy playback that requires me to pause often. Maybe the files are better optimized?
2020-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules