ZenMuse on small plane
1288 5 2020-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flipfloplife
lvl.1

United States

Ok so let's start with this --- I'm not drone smart.  I have a Mavic2 zoom, it's cool, I understand the basics.  

I'm working on a semi-ridiculous project and I need some getting going help here.  I want to mount a zenmuse quality level cam on a gimbal on the belly of a small plane (it's an experimental plane, yes it's "legal", I know planes, don't need help with that part).  

But here is the part I DO need help with --- what pieces and parts do i need to put together here to make this happen?  I can see the various flavors of zenmuse cam's on the zon and other places, got it, i can make that part happen.  But what am i mounting it TO, it looks like it clicks into a standard mount (which i'm guessing already exists on an Inspire drone?).  Can i buy that mount separately?  is there a pinout somewhere, a wire harness that I can work from etc?  It seems that it's mounted on a 2 axis gimbal (pitch and yaw in pilot terms) which is fine.  Do i need something else to go with that thing?  

My concept of ops is to either use my crystal sky monitor or an ipad or something to control this thing.  a hand controller like a complex joystick would be awesome but i don't really see something like that available. Where is it going to record "to"? is there a card on the camera?  does the video "out" over a wire and i record it to a drive/ipad, etc?  with my mavic there is an RF control 2 way and RF video 2 way but the RF video is the low res correct?  (which is why to get high quality i have to pull the card out of the drone and stick it in the computer)?

What I'd like to be able to do:  on/off, record video/stop recording, take a still, take a burst of stills, pan/tilt, and I'd really like to be able to auto-track something like my mavic 2 can.  Some testing of the DJI OSMO Pocket indicates that it can ALMOST do all of this -- but over about 80 kts it gets weird (the test was funny and weird but conclusive), i'm thinking the zenmuse will be able to get me to 100 kts, which IS fast enough.

Thoughts?  ideas?  Parts lists?

Thanks!

2020-7-26
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

At 100 knots no DJI Zenmuse class gimbal camera will be able to withstand the air drag, period. X5S/X7 gimbals are designed to tolerate air speeds within max. 90 km/h, perhaps 100. Assuming the installation on - manned or unmanned - aircraft capable to reach speeds well exceeding 100 kts, any camera gimbal of this type will be ripped off in no time. And that is without even considering propeller wash forces and many other air turbulences normally not present around typical quadcopter frame.

That said, the Zenmuse camera/gimbal assembly alone will not be able to record anything or communicate with radio controller. You'll have to cannibalize an Inspire 2 to scavenge many necessary components. BTDT, transforming damaged drone into handheld camera ...
2020-7-31
Use props
flipfloplife
lvl.1

United States

Matt -- if I need to I can put it into a Plexiglas blister or something -- let's not have air loads be a part of the discussion here at least at this point.  My initial testing with a osmo pocket was ridiculously shockingly surprisingly good (I thought there was zero chance, but it actually did well, but that was on a cub, so that's really really REALLY slow).  

Your notion of cannibalizing and Inspire 2 has occurred to me.  Maybe we pick up the discussion from there --- how far could I strip that sucker down and it still does what I want?  Obviously the booms and motors can go, the flight computer is likely tied to the gimbal control, so best to keep "all the guts"?  What about a power supply from the plane -- could it "charge and run" at the same time?  Pretty trivial to run 12v to it.  

That road does lead to what I want (and I have actually strapped an inspire to a strut -- it definitely can handle 80 mph w/o any help from a blister or bubble) ---- but it is admittedly a bit .... "inelegant" (?).  
2020-8-2
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

"... how far could I strip that sucker down and it still does what I want? ..."

Lucky you, because I've BTDT . Assuming that you'll be able to secure the rig under the plane's belly or wherever to a fuselage (huh, challenge is what I love!) and wrap some optically correct acrylic bubble around, you're in business! Here's what you'll have to deal with, basically the same idea for vehicle mount, tested at 100 km/hr. You can power this carcass with any 6S LiPo battery from inside and control remotely with RC.

myosmoX5S_vehicle rig.jpg
2020-8-2
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

On a second thought, X5S or X7 camera modified for this project may be just a cumbersome and expensive overkill. It will deliver definitely the best quality imagery DJI equipment is capable of these days, but much smaller Mavic 2 Pro camera/gimbal is no joke as well. Either way you'll need to wrap an protective, optically transparent bubble around, which seems to be the most challenging part of this idea ...
2020-8-4
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Oh, don't mention ... Anytime, Flip, anytime ...
2020-8-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules