Display Options
839 12 2020-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Salvatore64
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1549 ft
United States

I have been reading alot about differant displays people are using. Top of the chart seems to be the ipad mini 3, 4 or 5. I also saw that someone used a ipad air 2.

When im looking at the differant products I see,
1. 16gb, 32gb, 64gb, 128gb.
2. wifi or wifi + cellular.
3. 32bit, 64bit.
Im in no way a tech person but I dont mind buying the RIGHT things the first time. A bigger screen than a ipad mini would be great but i will settle for that if its my best options.
Maybe a list from best to worst?

2020-7-26
Use props
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Honestly, have a look at the size of the air then consider what you need. To me anything bigger than the mini is ridiculous and that's why the mini is at the top of the list. Remember you have to hold the thing up supported by a bracket in the controller. You only need wifi and 32gb is fine.
2020-7-26
Use props
Salvatore64
lvl.1
United States

22340179 Posted at 7-26 14:44
Honestly, have a look at the size of the air then consider what you need. To me anything bigger than the mini is ridiculous and that's why the mini is at the top of the list. Remember you have to hold the thing up supported by a bracket in the controller. You only need wifi and 32gb is fine.

Thank you so much. It has been somewhat difficult to get the information I was looking for.  Some people seem stuck on android  vs  ios.
I have no reserves on either. Just want to buy the correct tablet the first time. I have a OLD ipad but its 16gb and will not work. Outdated!!
2020-7-27
Use props
Salvatore64
lvl.1
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 7-27 07:54
For iOS devices they are all 64-bit.  You can't expand memory on an iPad.  I would get 32 GB minimum & preferably 64 GB.  On iOS you have no GPS unless you get a cellular model.  You don't need to activate the cellular, just the GPS only comes on cellular models.  If you want full functionality of the features in Fly, then you want a GPS-capable model.

For Android, embedded GPS support is near-universal.  There are a few exceptions but it is rare.  Android devices normally have user-expandable memory via MicroSD card, so base memory isn't a concern.  You will want at least 2 GB (preferably 3 GB or more) of RAM.  What you have to watch is 64-bit vs 32-bit OS.  Most Android chipsets are 64-bit, but many Android devices employ a 32-bit Android OS.  Fly requires a 64-bit OS to function.  Make sure to confirm the OS is 64-bit.
Thanks.... This is getting a bit more complicated than first thought since I am not a tech type person.
So I do need a device that has wifi and phone but not activated so I can use the GPS.
32gb memory is ok but 64gb is better.
And last but not least.... 64bit to run the app. 32bit is to small.

Hope I get this right...haha
Thanks for all the info.
2020-7-27
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cellular is preferable so you can cache maps live while flying and if buying an iOS device WiFi only will not have a GPS module built into it.

64gb is better as DB said. This will provide more storage for saving more photo/video files

The DJI Fly app requires 64bit to run - all iPADs are 64bit. Not all Android tablets are.

An iPad mini 5, 128gb, WiFi + cellular is your best option.
2020-7-27
Use props
Salvatore64
lvl.1
United States

I understand what you are saying. Thanks.. With that being said.....
With the iPad mini 5 with wifi + cellular, does the cellular need to be activated to use the GPS?
2020-7-27
Use props
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Salvatore64 Posted at 7-27 12:27
With the iPad mini 5 with wifi + cellular, does the cellular need to be activated to use the GPS?

No, you don't need cellular for GPS. You only really need data to load the maps if you want those. So getting an iPad with cellular then having to get a sim card for it so you can use data is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. You can hotspot from your mobile phone to the mini for the maps to load so the wifi mini is fine. I fly in airplane mode once my maps are loaded before the flight anyway, it isn't needed.
2020-7-27
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Salvatore64 Posted at 7-27 12:27

No it doesn't and be sure to turn off WiFi when flying so there is no interference to the signal.
2020-7-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Salvatore64. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared with us. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilot on what mobile device they are using to fly there DJI Mavic Mini. In addition DJI suggests to use a recommended mobile device for the DJI Mavic Mini for compatibility and reliability purposes. For reference I will post the list of recommended mobile device for the DJI Mavic Mini and for the DJI Fly application. Thank you.

2020-7-28
Use props
Salvatore64
lvl.1
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-28 01:15
Hello there Salvatore64. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared with us. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilot on what mobile device they are using to fly there DJI Mavic Mini. In addition DJI suggests to use a recommended mobile device for the DJI Mavic Mini for compatibility and reliability purposes. For reference I will post the list of recommended mobile device for the DJI Mavic Mini and for the DJI Fly application. Thank you.

[view_image]

Hello DJI Stephen, Thank you for the reply and info on android vs Ios.
The part im still baffled about is the (wifi only  or wifi +cellular).
With a wifi + cellular on a IOS, will I be paying for another phone line or ir is only for the SIM Card?

Would it be easiest to get a wifi only IOS and use my phone as Hotspot to acess needed maps?

Thanks
2020-8-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there Salvatore64. Thank you for the reply. Dirty Bird is correct on post #13. It will also be good to place your mobile device to airplane mode when flying your DJI drone. Putting the mobile phone in Airplane mode while flying would lessen the interference like receiving calls and text messages while on flight. In addition, it is not necessary to put your device in Airplane mode but please make sure there is no such calls/text message or any notification that will interrupt you when using your device while flying your DJI Drone. Thank you.
2020-8-3
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"Fly requires a 64-bit OS to function.  Make sure to confirm the OS is 64-bit." That is VITAL.

In addition I would suggest 64G of memory especially if you can not add a memory card to the device. The reason being, you may end up with a screen video recorder installed, they are very handy for capturing messages that you miss, but their recorded video does use  quite a bit of memory.

There is one other consideration, especially given the relatively small capacity of the controller's battery. Android devices draw power via the USB connection, seemingly it's a requirement of the design protocols, but the 410mA I have seen does flatten the Mini's controller battery fairly quickly. The quirk is mentioned in the Mini's manual somewhere. IOS devices do not draw anywhere near as much current (if 'any').
There are ways around the Android 'problem', using a 'splitter' cable and an external USB power pack is one, as posted by CareyL and perhaps others, possibly here, but certainly on the mavicpilots forum.
I have also seen mention of being able to switch off USB charging on an Android device but whether or not this is true I do not know as it seems you may need to "root" the phone to gain access to that option and I am not prepared to attempt 'rooting' a phone.
2020-8-3
Use props
Salvatore64
lvl.1
United States

Thanks everybody for the comments and suggestions.
Due to the covid 19 ios devices  are few and far in-between.
2020-8-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules