Lack of support response on sudden loss of control case
1324 5 2020-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Assylan
lvl.1
United States

Dear DJI officers, I am starting this thread since I didn't receive any response on my official DJI Care request submitted on June 23, 2020. I also had an extensive chat with one of your teammates around June 30-July 2 to clarify on the status of my request where I was assured that I will get a response shortly. As I mentioned, I got no feedback since then.

I lost my brave Mavic Mini on May 12, 2020, 90mi North-East of New York city. I took the drone to fly around the bank of a small mountain river (~20-25 m wide). The weather and signal were perfect. I hovered ~15-20m above the place I was standing for 1-2 min to make sure everything was under control. Seeing absolutely no issues with the drone and weather, I decided to make a pass above the river. When I was right above the middle of the river, the app suddenly told me that the drone was facing strong wind (however, I haven't felt that myself). In the next ~2 mins I did the following:
- tried to get the drone back – no luck, but for some reason the drone lost its altitude
- tried to land it on my side of the river – the drone was still standing above water, making no movement in horizontal direction, and again lost altitude  
- with the drone hovering ~2 meters above the water, I decided to check if I can land it on the other side of the river. Seconds later I lost the drone

We checked both river sides in a hope that the wind that was oddly preventing the drone from moving in any horizontal direction actually blowed it toward the ground. It was getting dark and cold, and seing no luck me and my friend decided to continue our trip. A couple days later we came back, and I spent ~2hr checking the river floor near the place I lost the drone (video attached), again with no luck.

Given the circumstances (uncontrolled loss in altitude, no horizontal movement while only 10-15 m shift towards either side of the river could have saved the drone), I believe that the weather conditions there had to be extreme. And I assure you the weather was close to perfect, and being a highly risk-averse person with some understanding of drone control and aerodynamics I would never use the drone in inappropriate weather conditions. Here I use the "close to perfect" wording because I understand that the conditions at the height of 20m can differ from what the drone operator feels at the ground level. Still, I have no valid explanation to the lack of control when the drone was 2-3 meters above the water level right before I lost it.

I believe something odd was going on with drone controls. I mentioned in my request that I would like your team to check the telemetry right before the crash.
I would also appreciate if you could guide me through the next steps to get a new drone. So far I have a full, barely used Combo set of accessories that miss a drone to work with.

Kindest regards,
Assylan

https://youtu.be/lI7IG0_dLGU
2020-7-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Assylan, I am deeply sorry about the loss of your drone, I understand that must be frustrated for you.
As per checking, I noticed that the case you registered is a repair case, an update will be given when the drone is sent back to our repair center, so this could be the reason that you haven't got an update since your drone was lost and we have not received the drone.
But please don't worry, I will now help you to start a case for the incident of the loss of the drone and proceed with the corresponding process asap, we will have someone contact you once there is an update.
At the same time, please go to the app and make sure that you had synced the flight record to the cloud so we can look into the record.
Besides, for your information, DJI Care Refresh doesn't cover the loss of the drone. In your case, we will check on the record first and confirm the reason for the accident, if it is a non-pilot error, we will compensate the drone for you.
2020-7-26
Use props
Assylan
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 7-26 19:15
Hi Assylan, I am deeply sorry about the loss of your drone, I understand that must be frustrated for you.
As per checking, I noticed that the case you registered is a repair case, an update will be given when the drone is sent back to our repair center, so this could be the reason that you haven't got an update since your drone was lost and we have not received the drone.
But please don't worry, I will now help you to start a case for the incident of the loss of the drone and proceed with the corresponding process asap, we will have someone contact you once there is an update.

Thank you, Susan!
I switched on the auto-sync of flight records in my app. Anything else I need to do to sync the files?
2020-7-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Assylan Posted at 7-26 21:00
Thank you, Susan!
I switched on the auto-sync of flight records in my app. Anything else I need to do to sync the files?

Thank you for your prompt response. I tried to get the flight record but didn't find any results. Could you please double confirm if your DJI account is the same email address you used in the forum/case?
If the DJI account is different, please PM me the correct account.
If it is the same account, you may need to help to export the flight record manually from the phone so we can help. I will PM you the way to manually export the record for your reference,
After you export the flight record, please upload to Dropbox/Google Drive and provide me with the link, thank you very much.
2020-7-26
Use props
djiuser_pcAm6OAPMoab
New

Pakistan

DJI Susan Posted at 7-26 22:26
Thank you for your prompt response. I tried to get the flight record but didn't find any results. Could you please double confirm if your DJI account is the same email address you used in the forum/case?
If the DJI account is different, please PM me the correct account.
If it is the same account, you may need to help to export the flight record manually from the phone so we can help. I will PM you the way to manually export the record for your reference,

Hi . I just lost my Dji mavic 2crashed in lake. It was all normal conditon flying  at 44m hight  at 4m/s speed no wind moving forward and gaining hight all of sudden it started moving backward and droping altitude and gaining massive speed while dragging backward whereas I was pushing it forward and up.it started losing hight and increased backward speed where I was pushing it full forward. Max power warrnnig came up speed went up to 36m/s nearly 115kmp I tried my level best to recover but crashed in lake at massive speed while losing altitude.

Flight data show all this what should I do as it 100 %  malfunction in drone which was bought just 3 months ago with oy 4 hours of flight time.

Where should I report it and how can I extract flight data from dji fly app
2020-9-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_pcAm6OAPMoab Posted at 9-7 21:30
Hi . I just lost my Dji mavic 2crashed in lake. It was all normal conditon flying  at 44m hight  at 4m/s speed no wind moving forward and gaining hight all of sudden it started moving backward and droping altitude and gaining massive speed while dragging backward whereas I was pushing it forward and up.it started losing hight and increased backward speed where I was pushing it full forward. Max power warrnnig came up speed went up to 36m/s nearly 115kmp I tried my level best to recover but crashed in lake at massive speed while losing altitude.

Flight data show all this what should I do as it 100 %  malfunction in drone which was bought just 3 months ago with oy 4 hours of flight time.

Hi there, I'm so sorry for your loss, if the drone is still under warranty, please contact our support team www.dji.com/support to start a ticket for the data analysis, we will help to check what happened and provide the proper resolution.
2020-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules