Are Waypoint missions exposed with SDK support of Mavic Mini?
8668 31 2020-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI_Chachi
lvl.2
Hong Kong

I have read in various forums that some developers or users are hoping that the Mobile SDK will expose Waypoint Mission functionality for the Mavic Mini through some of their favorite 3rd Party Apps because that functionality is not available in the DJI Fly app.  However, this is not an SDK or App limitation - it's based on the firm/hardware of the drone and DJI's SDK can only expose what the hard/firmware of the drone will allow.  

So simply put, the recent support of the Mavic Mini with MSDK and UXSDK version 4.13 can not expose Waypoint Missions for this litttle guy.  

What you can find though in the 4.13 MSDK, are the Quickshot features listed in the Mavic Mini sales page found here: https://www.dji.com/mavic-mini  - Rocket, Dronie, Circle and Helix mode.  
2020-7-27
Use props
MitchRSM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149534 ft
  • >>>
San Marino

soo bad news!
2020-7-27
Use props
DJI_Chachi
lvl.2
United States

Yes, sorry that isn't the news you wanted to hear.

But I'd like to point out that developers can still automate flight with the Mavic Mini by using Virtual Sticks: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;extra=#pid2227875
2020-7-27
Use props
Webdrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 674938 ft
France

Thanks for the info, it sounds like it will make Panoramas and Spheres difficult to automate too ?
2020-7-29
Use props
dronelink0
lvl.2
United States

Dronelink uses virtual stick and will support many flight modes for the Mavic mini including waypoints (which is called Path component in Dronelink).
2020-7-29
Use props
内涵阿哥
lvl.2
Flight distance : 791867 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Virtual stick is really good tool to make waypoint to be successful,   Dronelink have a good experience with that.  really cool!!!
2020-7-29
Use props
djiuser_oKhOxvXVoMZ8
lvl.1

Germany

dronelink0 Posted at 7-29 05:07
Dronelink uses virtual stick and will support many flight modes for the Mavic mini including waypoints (which is called Path component in Dronelink).

Is there a estimated timeline, when mavic mini support will be added to your app?
2020-7-30
Use props
fansdfb0f851
lvl.2

Greece

Correct me if I am wrong but with the virtual sticks don't you have to have good signal in order for it to work properly? Using the standard waypoint mission you don't worry about the signal at all and you just wait for it to do its thing..
Can someone explain to me what is required in order (if possible in the future) to have the proper waypoint mission feature?
If it is a hardware issue then that means for example that the mission cannot be "uploaded" to the drone in order to work by itself or something like that? So some component inside is missing?
If it is a firmware issue then is it possible that this can be fixed by DJI in the future by a firmware update (and an SDK update)? Or is it possible that someone else can make a "patched" firmware for this?
Thank you.
2020-7-30
Use props
DJI_Chachi
lvl.2
United States

fansdfb0f851 Posted at 7-30 05:50
Correct me if I am wrong but with the virtual sticks don't you have to have good signal in order for it to work properly? Using the standard waypoint mission you don't worry about the signal at all and you just wait for it to do its thing..
Can someone explain to me what is required in order (if possible in the future) to have the proper waypoint mission feature?
If it is a hardware issue then that means for example that the mission cannot be "uploaded" to the drone in order to work by itself or something like that? So some component inside is missing?

Yes you are correct - virtual sticks will need good signal, however, you can program safeguards for this condition

As for the internal workings of the Mini and why it can't conduct Missions, you can also reach out to DJI's main forum (https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... r=typeid&typeid=712) since the agents who monitor there, specialize in DJI's hardware, where I specialize in the SDK.  

But what I've been told is that the hardware does not have the computing power to run missions and automated missions are not safe due to the lack of obstacle avoidance - perhaps the trade off for the Mini's size and price.  
2020-7-30
Use props
DJI_Chachi
lvl.2
United States

Webdrone Posted at 7-29 01:38
Thanks for the info, it sounds like it will make Panoramas and Spheres difficult to automate too ?

I think it will take a shift in thinking towards virtual sticks, which is a bit tricky at first but after you get the hang of it, you may end up preferring Virtual Sticks over Waypoints anyway - at least that is what I've heard from other developers who made the transition.

If you want to get started on this, here are a couple of articles that are helpful:

What we get from SDK 4.13 for the Mavic Mini: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &extra=page%3D1

Automate flight with the Mavic Mini: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &extra=page%3D1
2020-7-30
Use props
Dowser
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22234 ft
Sweden

Ah, yes, obstacle avoidance is naturally missing.
But automated missions with a limited set of waypoints on a "safe height" where there isn't any obstacles "should" be possible to achieve without adding significantly to the onboard CPU's load.
That would be great for mapping and surveying.
I really don't see the difference security wise on that type of mission compared to the automatic return to home due to loss of signal or low battery. It is basically a mission with at least one waypoint that the Mini is doing all by it self.
2020-7-31
Use props
ZenKaffi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1006260 ft
Indonesia

If the problem is only in the absence of obstacle avoidance, how about the previous series, such as Phantom 3 Pro, advance and even Phantom 3 standard that can still do waypoint mission? While on this type does not have at all security features like obstacle avoidance? Me since 2016 already using all three, and there have never been any problems along the height and the obstacles have been monitored first.
2020-7-31
Use props
DJI_SDK_partner
lvl.1

United States

There's never been side obstacle avoidance for the vast majority of DJI drones under waypoint control and they've been used to fly orbital waypoint missions for inspection and photogrammetry applications countless times.   DJI sales said the Mavic Air couldn't support waypoint missions when it was first released and then had to admit that it could.  

DJI seems to have run out of legitimate excuses for the 10 month stall in supporting programmatic control of this model.  They've chosen to mislead customers that this functionality is coming around the corner for nearly a year.
2020-7-31
Use props
Red Waypoint
lvl.3
Spain

Red Waypoint APP is working on the integration of the new SDK4.13, as soon as the APP is tested and validated, it will publish the new software update including support of Waypoints Missions for Mavic Mini. RedWaypoint has integrated its own Waypoint Mission planning algorithm running inside the smartphone based on Virtual Stick commands, so Waypoints with Mavic Mini is possible!
2020-8-1
Use props
lee82gx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 435049 ft
Malaysia

Hi DJI_Chachi,
Can you confirm or check if Mavic Air 2 will expose the waypoint missions or not? Specifically, does the firm or hardware contains waypoints support?
2020-8-1
Use props
DJI_Chachi
lvl.2
United States

lee82gx Posted at 8-1 16:35
Hi DJI_Chachi,
Can you confirm or check if Mavic Air 2 will expose the waypoint missions or not? Specifically, does the firm or hardware contains waypoints support?

Although I can not say for the long term future, most likely full Waypoint Missions will not be supported by the SDK for the Mavic Air 2 because it's not already supported on the drone currently.  

A good rule of thumb to follow when trying to figure out what the SDK will or will not support, is just to look at the product's user manual: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... Manual_v1.2_en_.pdf

You can see there are some waypoints supported:

But this is limited and not a full waypoint mission.  A full waypoint mission is not listed as a feature of this product in it's manual.  
2020-8-3
Use props
lee82gx
lvl.4
United States

DJI_Chachi Posted at 8-3 12:19
Although I can not say for the long term future, most likely full Waypoint Missions will not be supported by the SDK for the Mavic Air 2 because it's not already supported on the drone currently.  

A good rule of thumb to follow when trying to figure out what the SDK will or will not support, is just to look at the product's user manual: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Air_2/20200615/Mavic_Air_2_User_Manual_v1.2_en_.pdf

Thanks for responding.

Like many other Mavic Air 2 owners, I bought this drone with the *hopes* that waypoints  will be supported by SDK / 3rd Party apps.

In this regard, the precedence must be Mavic Air 1, which does not support any waypoints in the manual or via DJI Go4 app, but is fully exposed and exploited via SDK. Prime example is Litchi.

Secondly the half appearance of some waypoints as you show, via the hyperlapse mode currently gives us some hope, but perhaps misguided.

I was really hoping that someone in DJI with access to the firmware code base can look into this and give us some more concrete answers. But I do appreciate your response nonetheless.
2020-8-4
Use props
tokyopete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1955154 ft
United States

DJI_Chachi Posted at 8-3 12:19
Although I can not say for the long term future, most likely full Waypoint Missions will not be supported by the SDK for the Mavic Air 2 because it's not already supported on the drone currently.  

A good rule of thumb to follow when trying to figure out what the SDK will or will not support, is just to look at the product's user manual: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Air_2/20200615/Mavic_Air_2_User_Manual_v1.2_en_.pdf

Except the original Mavic Air didn't have waypoint support with the DJI Go 4 app, but the Mavic Air SDK did support waypoints for 3rd party apps like Litchi. So I'm not sure your logic holds here.
2020-8-5
Use props
DJI_SDK_partner
lvl.1

United States

lee82gx Posted at 8-4 21:04
Thanks for responding.

Like many other Mavic Air 2 owners, I bought this drone with the *hopes* that waypoints  will be supported by SDK / 3rd Party apps.

Both the Air and Spark weren't necessarily going to support waypoints in the SDK but shortly after release they did.  The Mini and Air 2 will be the only models that apparently don't support waypoints from the MSDK since the Phantom 2 AFAIK.

Forcing developers to issue realtime control loop flight commands from mobile devices via  Virtual Joystick methods isn't very fault tolerant, those are the sort of operations that should be performed by on-board firmware so the mission can be safely completed autonomously even when the pilot's phone dies.  DJI shouldn't be withdrawing support of tried and true safe control capabilities of Waypoint Missions for its newest models.  Why regress to product limitations of models sold over 5 years ago?
2020-8-6
Use props
lee82gx
lvl.4
Malaysia

DJI_SDK_partner Posted at 8-6 00:26
Both the Air and Spark weren't necessarily going to support waypoints in the SDK but shortly after release they did.  The Mini and Air 2 will be the only models that apparently don't support waypoints from the MSDK since the Phantom 2 AFAIK.

Forcing developers to issue realtime control loop flight commands from mobile devices via  Virtual Joystick methods isn't very fault tolerant, those are the sort of operations that should be performed by on-board firmware so the mission can be safely completed autonomously even when the pilot's phone dies.  DJI shouldn't be withdrawing support of tried and true safe control capabilities of Waypoint Missions for its newest models.  Why regress back to product limitations of models sold over 5 years ago?

Agreed, but as time and tradition honoured, DJI will take your valuable feedback and send it to their teams who will digest it and do absolutely what they want with it. ( usually nothing).
2020-8-6
Use props
DJI_Lisa
lvl.4
Hong Kong

lee82gx Posted at 8-4 21:04
Thanks for responding.

Thanks for keeping things positive - really appreciated!  Our SDK team doesn't have access to peek into the firmware code but you can bring this request to the forum for DJI's hardware products here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =typeid&typeid=556.  Perhaps the forum facilitators there will have more insight.  
2020-8-10
Use props
DJI_Lisa
lvl.4
Hong Kong

lee82gx Posted at 8-6 06:35
Agreed, but as time and tradition honoured, DJI will take your valuable feedback and send it to their teams who will digest it and do absolutely what they want with it. ( usually nothing).

The Mavic Mini was never intended to have SDK support at all.  But there was a lot of DJI developers who requested it and so the SDK managers hustled to fit it into this years roadmap and get it supported.  I hear your cynicism but please know, that we are listening and care about the developer community.  
2020-8-10
Use props
fans24b40a2d
lvl.4
United States

DJI_Lisa Posted at 8-10 09:37
The Mavic Mini was never intended to have SDK support at all.  But there was a lot of DJI developers who requested it and so the SDK managers hustled to fit it into this years roadmap and get it supported.  I hear your cynicism but please know, that we are listening and care about the developer community.

Again, thanks for responding.  On my own behalf I can only say I complain when I feel there is more that you can do.
2020-8-10
Use props
DJI_Lisa
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Both the Air and Spark weren't necessarily going to support waypoints in the SDK but shortly after release they did.  The Mini and Air 2 will be the only models that apparently don't support waypoints from the MSDK since the Phantom 2 AFAIK.

Forcing developers to issue realtime control loop flight commands from mobile devices via  Virtual Joystick methods isn't very fault tolerant, those are the sort of operations that should be performed by on-board firmware so the mission can be safely completed autonomously even when the pilot's phone dies.  DJI shouldn't be withdrawing support of tried and true safe control capabilities of Waypoint Missions for its newest models.  Why regress to product limitations of models sold over 5 years ago?

You should check out Dronelink's solution - they've done a lot with Virtual Sticks, have a solid solution and offer developer tools that compliment DJI's SDK.  Also, note that the Mini is not so much a regression but rather an offering of a smaller, less expensive drone to make DJI tech more accessible - to make it small, sacrifices have to be made.   If you really want onboard Missions, DJI still has all the other drone's available.  

Dronelink's article on Virtual Sticks: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D746%26typeid%3D746
2020-8-11
Use props
Tandemist
lvl.3
Flight distance : 343084 ft
United States

djiuser_oKhOxvXVoMZ8 Posted at 7-30 00:10
Is there a estimated timeline, when mavic mini support will be added to your app?

Dronelink supports the Mavic Mini.

Check out a video I made 8/15/2020. I loaded the native (iOS/Android) app to the smartphone, selected my  mission, loaded a plan I had prepared earlier, and pressed play. The software ran the complete plan with no problem, including speed, altitude, gimbal rotation, camera start/stop, and more.

Using Dronelink requires planning as the plan must be prepared online with a PC/Mac or a tablet. No spontaneity in the field. However, there are some simple functions like dronie and orbit that can be started without a plan.

For hobbyists, the one time cost is $20. Only meaningful restriction is NO COMMERCIAL FLIGHTS.

Good luck.

My plans are public in app.dronelink.com
2020-8-16
Use props
Tandemist
lvl.3
United States

BTW, this location is in a DJI Blue Authorization Zone. I first loaded the DJI Fly app, unlocked the zone, made sure everything was fine, killed the DJI Fly app, loaded the native Dronelink app, and went from that.
2020-8-16
Use props
Tandemist
lvl.3
United States

Litchi has delivered  a beta version with Mini support. However, several key features have not been implemented, particularly Mission.

Here is the response I received as a beta tester.

Litchi Support (VC Technology Ltd)
12 Aug 2020, 01:17 BST

“Hi,

DJI decided not to enable waypoint and orbit support for the mavic mini in the SDK. This means that our standard waypoint/orbit mode won't work.
In a future update, we hope to add a custom waypoint mode for mavic mini but it will have limitations such as if signal is lost the mission ends. But that is why we left it in the menu for now.”
2020-8-16
Use props
DJI_Lisa
lvl.4
Hong Kong

sws2810 Posted at 8-19 13:35
So then, does the new MA2 with it's DJI Fly App... have the correct SDK/MSDK/UXSDK, Hardware/Firmware... to make use of Litchi Waypoints or even 'Waypoint 2.0' ?

The DJI Fly App is DJI's own App with a code base that does not use DJI's SDKs

3rd Party's can use the MSDK/UXSDK to build their own apps - like Fly Litchi has

So, if FlyLitchi supports MA2 then you can use either DJI Fly or Litchi but not both at the same time
2020-8-20
Use props
vortex19
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Both the Air and Spark weren't necessarily going to support waypoints in the SDK but shortly after release they did.  The Mini and Air 2 will be the only models that apparently don't support waypoints from the MSDK since the Phantom 2 AFAIK.

Forcing developers to issue realtime control loop flight commands from mobile devices via  Virtual Joystick methods isn't very fault tolerant, those are the sort of operations that should be performed by on-board firmware so the mission can be safely completed autonomously even when the pilot's phone dies.  DJI shouldn't be withdrawing support of tried and true safe control capabilities of Waypoint Missions for its newest models.  Why regress to product limitations of models sold over 5 years ago?

Autonomous waypoint missions outside of VLOS and/or without the ability for the operator to directly monitor the drone (no phone signal/connection) are illegal in most countries. How is it safer to allow the drone to continue with a mission when you have no control over it or data from it to tell you what it's doing?
2020-8-31
Use props
JohanH
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30479 ft

Netherlands

vortex19 Posted at 8-31 07:28
Autonomous waypoint missions outside of VLOS and/or without the ability for the operator to directly monitor the drone (no phone signal/connection) are illegal in most countries. How is it safer to allow the drone to continue with a mission when you have no control over it or data from it to tell you what it's doing?

Exactly. I'm in the EU and according to the upcoming new rules, autonomous flights without the means to take control at any time is illegal, in addition to having to keep the drone in VLOS. This means the option to have a mission completed when the connection with the controller is lost should no longer be used by most consumers (there are different rules for commercial pilots in certain scenarios). That said, that option is optional, it could be changed in the SDK to initiate RTH procedure or hover. Another option to comply would be to make it mandatory to push forward on the controller in order to fly the mission. That way it wouldn't be a fully autonomous flight.
2020-9-15
Use props
vortex19
lvl.4
United Kingdom

JohanH Posted at 9-15 14:54
Exactly. I'm in the EU and according to the upcoming new rules, autonomous flights without the means to take control at any time is illegal, in addition to having to keep the drone in VLOS. This means the option to have a mission completed when the connection with the controller is lost should no longer be used by most consumers (there are different rules for commercial pilots in certain scenarios). That said, that option is optional, it could be changed in the SDK to initiate RTH procedure or hover. Another option to comply would be to make it mandatory to push forward on the controller in order to fly the mission. That way it wouldn't be a fully autonomous flight.

But if you had to push forward on the controller in order to fly the mission you would need to be in contact with the drone so you wouldn't be achieving anything Dronelink couldn't.
2020-10-10
Use props
djiuser_M5BZjlMYy8k5
lvl.2

Pakistan

DJI_Chachi Posted at 2020-7-30 09:34
I think it will take a shift in thinking towards virtual sticks, which is a bit tricky at first but after you get the hang of it, you may end up preferring Virtual Sticks over Waypoints anyway - at least that is what I've heard from other developers who made the transition.

If you want to get started on this, here are a couple of articles that are helpful:

can you share the code, that how I can fly through some latitudes and longitudes with the virtual sticks. I am using MSDK.
2022-4-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules