Auto Exposure Priorities???
351 10 2020-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rustic17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

When using Auto exposure, does it make adjustments in ISO first or shutter speed or some other criteria???

2020-7-27
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good question as we can't see the priority when in auto on the MA2 so no idea.
2020-7-27
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
United States

A J Posted at 7-27 11:06
Good question as we can't see the priority when in auto on the MA2 so no idea.

Hoping a moderator will step in here....
2020-7-27
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 7-27 11:26
Hoping a moderator will step in here....

Would be good to know. I have switched back to manual to see if the settings remain the same as auto but no, it reverts back to the last saved manual setting. Given the limited noise in the lowlights I would say it prioritises the shutter speed but can't confirm.
2020-7-27
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This was one of the updates in the last firmware release on the MA2 - given that HDR video can only be recorded in auto perhaps they have achieved it by prioritising the shutter speed.

2020-7-27
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
United States

A J Posted at 7-27 11:45
This was one of the updates in the last firmware release on the MA2 - given that HDR video can only be recorded in auto perhaps they have achieved it by prioritising the shutter speed.

[view_image]

Yeah...I was wanting to know more for photos....
2020-7-27
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 7-27 13:21
Yeah...I was wanting to know more for photos....

Same here! Hopefully a DJI Mod will come in
2020-7-27
Use props
Pappy3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

FYI, for "Auto" exposure photos you can still view the settings when the photo was taken. Both "DNG" and "JPG" have "EXIF" included in the photo file. You can try varying the amount of sky included in the photo to force exposure changes and from this you maybe able to determine which settings are weighted more. You could also try "AEB" mode to see what exposure settings are changed for each bracketed photo.
2020-7-27
Use props
Ice_2k
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

It first drops shutter speed as low as possible (1/framerate) and only then starts increasing ISO. Reasonable for 60fps but utterly horrible for 30fps, shutter speed of 1/30 makes everything way to blurry. This issue also plagues HDR mode and the matter is made worst by not being able to make any manual adjustments
2020-7-27
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
United States

Ice_2k Posted at 7-27 14:33
It first drops shutter speed as low as possible (1/framerate) and only then starts increasing ISO. Reasonable for 60fps but utterly horrible for 30fps, shutter speed of 1/30 makes everything way to blurry. This issue also plagues HDR mode and the matter is made worst by not being able to make any manual adjustments

So what you're saying is it's better to be in Manual mode...then to lighten up, start with shutter speed down to maybe 1/60th and then start bumping ISO up maybe no more than 400 to avoid graininess (400 might even be too high).
2020-7-27
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pappy3 Posted at 7-27 13:57
FYI, for "Auto" exposure photos you can still view the settings when the photo was taken. Both "DNG" and "JPG" have "EXIF" included in the photo file. You can try varying the amount of sky included in the photo to force exposure changes and from this you maybe able to determine which settings are weighted more. You could also try "AEB" mode to see what exposure settings are changed for each bracketed photo.

That will be good to know regarding the settings used to create the still but it won't show the priority used by the drone i.e. did the drone increase the shutter speed first then aligned with the ISO or vice versa or is it dependant on the lighting condtions and scene recongnition to determine the priority. You can see the settings and prioritisation in the GO4 app on other drones when in auto - which helped to establish the motion blur and noise in the footage. Given that certain camera profiles in the MA2 can only be used in Auto (HDR) I do feel a little blind and relying heavily on the histogram to ensure the exposure is balanced but not knowing if I'm recording at double the framerate in flight.
2020-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules