What are you using to edit video?
2112 24 2015-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lonestar
lvl.1

United States

I'm very new to the video editing world and wondering what people are using to put their video's together with.

I'm a photography hobbiest and I use Lightroom and Photoshop extensively. I've been considering Adobe Premier Pro but wondering what others are using for good results.

Thanks!
2015-6-19
Use props
nightrider1383
lvl.1
Flight distance : 331923 ft
United States

If you have a Mac check out Final Cut Pro!
2015-6-19
Use props
Lonestar
lvl.1

United States

nightrider1383@ Posted at 2015-6-20 10:10
If you have a Mac check out Final Cut Pro!

I should have mentioned that I'm on a PC platform.

2015-6-19
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Lonestar Posted at 2015-6-20 10:13
I should have mentioned that I'm on a PC platform.

Lonestar,

It depends on what you're after. I've been using the free Windows Live Movie Maker for quite some time now. It's easy, doesn't take a great deal of time and get's the job done. There are no color, light, post-processing controls. Whatever you recorded is what you're going to put out but you can cut your clips, easily put transitions between the clips, add music or sound and titles and credits. I recently decided to try my hand at the more prosumer stuff and bought Adobe Premiere Elements 13, I also tried the GoPro Studio stuff and Cyberlink Powerdirector. If it keeps going the way it is now I think I'll just stick it out with Movie Maker. It's all a bit too much for me. I want to fly, cut up some clips, try to make it look halfway decent, share it with my family and friends and get back to flying. I've been spending way too much time editing (I have no photography/videography knowledge at all) and it's not a great deal of fun for me. I haven't given up yet but, I may be trying to bite off more than I really want to chew. Just my opinion.

Jerry
2015-6-19
Use props
basherdesigns
New

United States

Creative Cloud for sure... use to be a FCP user but Adobe has surpassed FCP in new features, codecs, etc...  Plus you can install it on 2 computers.. Mac or PC with one account.  Highly recommend it!
2015-6-19
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

Cyberlink PowerDirector 13
2015-6-19
Use props
KaosImagery
lvl.3
Flight distance : 495463 ft
United States

Photoshop can edit video to a certain extent.  You can make cuts, add transitions and text, add audio clips, and apply some color, clarity, sharpness adjustments as filters.  Kelbyone has a tutorial on it, but there are other free tutorials online.
2015-6-20
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2015-6-20 10:27
Lonestar,

It depends on what you're after. I've been using the free Windows Live Movie Maker for  ...

I'm pretty much in the same boat as poster UAVPilot - been using mostly GoPro Studio. I did experiment with Microsoft Movie Maker, but I *do* like to have some color control. Movie Maker won't give me that,but GoPro will. They're both free and both pretty easy to use.

When GoPro sees my video file from the P3P, it *almost* handles it exactly like a native GoPro video. The only shortcomings I've found are that it won't offer fish-eye removal (which is not necessary with the P3P video) and it won't let you "pre-edit" the file - clip unwanted sections. Once it's temporarily converted (for editing) you can clip away.
2015-6-20
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-20 20:34
I'm pretty much in the same boat as poster UAVPilot - been using mostly GoPro Studio. I did experi ...

Abu,

Is GoPro Studio letting you "split" your clips? It tells me I can't use that function because my file wasn't made with a GoPro. Are you doing MP4 or MOV? I don't remember but I don't think it will let you create, export the video to 1080p 60fps, only 39 or 24. Is that your experience as Welk?

Thanks,

Jerry
2015-6-20
Use props
pbrown73
lvl.4
Flight distance : 964596 ft
  • >>>
United States

Might give Blackmagic Design's DaVinci Resolve Lite a try. Free to download, includes a fine little non-linear editor, but known for really great color grading.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

2015-6-20
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

pbrown73 Posted at 2015-6-20 22:39
Might give Blackmagic Design's DaVinci Resolve Lite a try. Free to download, includes a fine little  ...

Pbrown,

Thanks for the link, you're probably a professional, unlike me. Quick question before I download the "Lite" version and start playing with it. Can it really be "used" for anything on a routine basis or are the limitations such that you'd end up having to buy a retail version. I made a slight accounting error and I'm a bit short of the $30,000 for the pro version.

Thanks,

Jerry
2015-6-20
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2015-6-20 22:13
Abu,

Is GoPro Studio letting you "split" your clips? It tells me I can't use that function becaus ...

When GoPro sees my video file from the P3P, it *almost* handles it exactly like a native GoPro video. The only shortcomings I've found are that it won't offer fish-eye removal (which is not necessary with the P3P video) and it won't let you "pre-edit" the file - clip unwanted sections. Once it's temporarily converted (for editing) you can clip away

He he - you missed part of that!

Yes, with a genuine GoPro video (seems like it needs to be in .mp4 but not sure) you can used ADVANCED function to remove fish-eye. Also, you can "pre-edit" your clip. If you know there are sections you don't even want to try to edit (like you left the camera running five minutes after the flight was over!) you can clip them even before you start the conversion and then editing process.

The videos that come from my Phantom 3 Pro *almost* look like "native" GoPro stuff, but, unlike above - there's no option for fish-eye and you cannot "pre-clip."

Other than those two "functions" I can edit the snot out of my P3P video with GoPro Studio. Including color management. Admittedly, the color management is sometimes not nearly as straightforward as it is in other editing programs - but, since I'm not a professional, it works fine for me.
2015-6-20
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-20 23:13
When GoPro sees my video file from the P3P, it *almost* handles it exactly like a native GoPro vid ...

Abu,

Thanks for the info! I'm not having much luck with all of this advanced editing stuff. I may not have the "eye" for it and I certainly don't have the education or patience!

Jerry
2015-6-20
Use props
Nick Martin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

As a MAC user I'm using Final Cut Pro X as its superb.

Nick
2015-6-20
Use props
danno1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1043150 ft
United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2015-6-20 22:52
Pbrown,

Thanks for the link, you're probably a professional, unlike me. Quick question before I d ...

Yes - you can do a ton with the lite version.  I am still trying to get my head around it all - the color correction power is great though the editing is pretty lacking.  
2015-6-20
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

danno1 Posted at 2015-6-21 01:03
Yes - you can do a ton with the lite version.  I am still trying to get my head around it all - th ...

Thanks Danno! That's more of what I'm looking for anyway. I can do the editing stuff in something more simplified after attempting the color correcting on the whole clip.

Jerry
2015-6-20
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

I use Edius Neo but im thinking of upgrading to edius pro 7 which is a great video editing software. Even Edius Neo is really good for the money which is kind of the light version of the full grown Edius pro 7
2015-6-20
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

Nick Martin Posted at 2015-6-21 00:57
As a MAC user I'm using Final Cut Pro X as its superb.

Nick

Seen lots of great reviews about Final Cut Pro X - us Windows users don't have it, but there's one out there by a company named Wondershare that provides something pretty close for a reasonable price - i.e., it ain't free, but it's affordable.
2015-6-20
Use props
pbrown73
lvl.4
Flight distance : 964596 ft
  • >>>
United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2015-6-20 22:52
Pbrown,

Thanks for the link, you're probably a professional, unlike me. Quick question before I d ...

As far as I can tell, it's free to use for whatever you like. I will admit I only skimmed the T&C so don't subpoena me if you get in trouble, but I believe they've just released a really nice lightweight version of their big-boy edit/color grade system for people to use for free.
2015-6-22
Use props
Vaupell
lvl.2
Flight distance : 198392 ft
Denmark

After many years of using Sony Vegas pro, this year i decided to try something else, so i bought "owerdirector 13"  
And i must say i love it, fast easy and does the same job.

However, usually my vid files end up around 4-8gb sizes and rendering time is around 2-4 hours.
AFter i switched to Powerdirector my rendering time is now down to 30 mins for the same work.

Awesome..
2015-6-22
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

danno1 Posted at 2015-6-21 01:03
Yes - you can do a ton with the lite version.  I am still trying to get my head around it all - th ...

Danno,

I think I'm too dumb for DaVinci. I messed around with it for a while last night. Ready???... Couldn't even figure out how to get an MP4 in to it! Movie Make may be my skill limit!

Jerry
2015-6-22
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

pbrown73 Posted at 2015-6-23 03:46
As far as I can tell, it's free to use for whatever you like. I will admit I only skimmed the T&C  ...

Pbrown,

Thanks! See my last post...

Jerry
2015-6-22
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I use Final Cut Pro.  Adobe Premier is a solid choice too.
2015-6-22
Use props
MJ50
New

Sweden

i use premiere elements 13...
mainly use for cut & paste, add title...
didn't have much success with color adjustments...
2015-6-23
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

Adobe Premiere Pro.  
2015-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules