Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Goggle RE - discontinued ?
8323 10 2020-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Eledwin
lvl.1
France

Hi,

The last firmware update for the DJI Goggle Racing Edition and the Ocusync Air Unit, goes back to 2018. There is no news about a new firmware, no one is talking about those goggle anymore so here is my question :

Did DJI totaly gave up on this product ? Or are you still working on it ? Because a ton of simple feature need to be added.

I'm asking because even though the new DJI Fpv system seems great, it only work in 5Ghz band. I'm not looking toward a 30ms latency transmision system, I prefer to have 100ms latency but a 2.4ghz band which is much more reliable for long range and going through obstacle such as vegetation. Does anyone here has been able to compare the performance of the RE system with Ocusync VS the new FPV system ?

Thanks for the info.
2020-7-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Eledwin. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. As of the moment the DJI Goggle RE is not discontinued. You may click the In Stock Reminder tab on the DJI Goggles Racing Edition page for us to be able to send you a notification as soon as we have the item in stock. In addition, DJI product that are found on DJI's official online store, DJI will continue to provide updates and after-sales services for it. Thank you for your understanding and  support.
2020-7-30
Use props
lf6391
lvl.2
Flight distance : 943750 ft
Australia

Was just told by a person in a DJI store that the DJI goggles and the DJI RE goggles have been discontinued . He said they only making the DJI FPV goggles now. Has anyone else heard this ?
2020-11-25
Use props
Bill-NM
lvl.2
United States

lf6391 Posted at 11-25 00:21
Was just told by a person in a DJI store that the DJI goggles and the DJI RE goggles have been discontinued . He said they only making the DJI FPV goggles now. Has anyone else heard this ?

Bump for updated information?  Thanks...
2020-12-16
Use props
KnNLmS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 119967 ft
  • >>>
Turkey

There is no reason to make GogglesRE discontinued. It has latest Ocusync technology. I hope DJI doesn't give up and add new series support soon.
2020-12-21
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

As you noted, DJI has clearly stopped working on them - no FW updates in 3 years is the obvious evidence that they've been end-of-life'd and are no longer supported by DJI. So you can expect them to be discontinued eventually.
As for the RE goggles + the old Ocusync air unit, I tried to use it, with pretty extensive efforts, on a number of different aircraft.  It was really buggy and had a number of serious problems. I fought with it more than I enjoyed it so I finally quit using it. So I wouldn't recommend the old Ocusync air unit.

OTOH, the goggles work great with aircraft like the Mavic Pro where you connect to them by Ocusync and can use the head tracker, etc. Their only big problem is the very short focal length, so if you're farsighted at all, you'll need really strong glasses to see the screens in focus. I have to use +3.75 diopter reading glasses with mine, and even those are getting a little blurry as my eyesight deteriorates. If your vision is perfect or you're a little nearsighted, you're probably ok.

The analog receiver in the RE goggles has some problems, but it actually works pretty well with analog 5.8ghz video equipment. I used it with analog and it worked very well.

So my personal recommendation would be to go with the new DJI FPV system. I haven't tried it but by all reports it's a really good system. The existing goggles are still really nice and I'd recommend them with Ocusync aircraft that support them, like the MP, MP2, Phantom 4 (via a cable they work great), Phantom 4 V 2.0, etc.
2020-12-29
Use props
KnNLmS
lvl.4
  • >>>
Turkey

luciens Posted at 12-29 06:10
As you noted, DJI has clearly stopped working on them - no FW updates in 3 years is the obvious evidence that they've been end-of-life'd and are no longer supported by DJI. So you can expect them to be discontinued eventually.
As for the RE goggles + the old Ocusync air unit, I tried to use it, with pretty extensive efforts, on a number of different aircraft.  It was really buggy and had a number of serious problems. I fought with it more than I enjoyed it so I finally quit using it. So I wouldn't recommend the old Ocusync air unit.

I believe it will receive update for M3P when released. But the biggest disappointment MA2 is not supported. The most important thing (more than customer satisfaction) for DJI making more profit for any cost. They're making good drones but the software and future support only around profit.
2020-12-30
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

KnNLmS Posted at 12-30 13:26
I believe it will receive update for M3P when released. But the biggest disappointment MA2 is not supported. The most important thing (more than customer satisfaction) for DJI making more profit for any cost. They're making good drones but the software and future support only around profit.

I believe it had something to do with the MA2 using the Fly app. My wild guess is they couldn't get it to work with the built in firmware in the goggles. Which to me looks like its based on GO 4.

But that's why I keep my old Mavic Pro around. It's strictly an FPV fun machine now, that I can at least use my goggles with.

2020-12-30
Use props
KnNLmS
lvl.4
  • >>>
Turkey

luciens Posted at 12-30 15:32
I believe it had something to do with the MA2 using the Fly app. My wild guess is they couldn't get it to work with the built in firmware in the goggles. Which to me looks like its based on GO 4.

But that's why I keep my old Mavic Pro around. It's strictly an FPV fun machine now, that I can at least use my goggles with.

One drone for FPV, one drone for photo, another for video

I believe DJI can do better.
2020-12-30
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

KnNLmS Posted at 12-30 22:45
One drone for FPV, one drone for photo, another for video

I believe DJI can do better.

Well the DJI goggles have major problems so I'm not surprised DJI has end-of-life'd them. The worst problems were the too short/fixed focal length and the original Ocusync air unit that went with the RE goggles - it was really, really buggy, with poor image quality and had too much latency to be accepted by the racing drone community. That's what ultimately killed the RE goggles.

The new digital system is much better technically, but, like analog FPV goggles, its goggles too still have that teeny tiny little 44-45 or whatever degree FOV that's basically useless for enjoyable FPV. I don't want to strain my eyes staring are at a little tiny iPhone sized rectangle when flying FPV. That's why I stopped flying regular analog FPV and went to these with my Mavic Pro. I want a full sized immersive experience.  

So I don't know if DJI is going to replace them or not. In retrospect, an upgrade to the Mavic Pro 2 would probably have been a better choice than my MA2, since they support the DJI goggles via ocusync. To use them with the MA2 you need the smart controller and then go into the goggles with HDMI. But that requires the expensive smart controller which has other problems that I don't want to deal with for that amount of money.

So in my view, a really good digital HD video downlink for FPV is still not quite there yet. Maybe it's still a couple more years away before we really get a good system. Each of the ones DJI has at the moment still has some major compromise that makes them not quite worth the investment.

I still use mine, though, because I like the huge FOV. I just use +3.75 diopter glasses and accept the distortion of the picture at the edges.
But at the rate DJI is improving their tech., I imagine a good solution will come eventually....

2020-12-31
Use props
KnNLmS
lvl.4
  • >>>
Turkey

Even if there will be a better DJI goggles, Goggles RE should be supported for new DJI drones till there is a technical inadequacy. But we'll see...
2021-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules