Mavic 2 Pro | Smart Controller | FAA Authentication
3321 7 2020-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Raymond_Linares
lvl.1
United States

Hello Pilots,

Was hoping someone could share a detailed workflow for how to get your FAA Authentications to the smart controller. I currently don't have a hot spot for the controller so I'm wondering if that's a needed functionality as the controller itself doesn't have native signal and ability to get LAANC connection via Airmap or Kittyhawk?

I've recently been able to get approval for flight in controlled airspace via FAADroneZone, and want to know what's the procedure to get that FAA drone zone authentication to my smart controller so I can fly when I get to the launch location.

I haven't been able to find concise information on the web, and haven't seen anyone else post about it so I figured it would be a good thread for myself and future pilots.

Thanks in advance for your time and insight.
2020-7-30
Use props
LeeG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169281 ft
United States

Perhaps an uninformed response, but... Can't you Airmap/Kittyhawk on your phone with wireless data? From what I have seen LAANC approvals don't interface with FLY app anyway.
2020-7-30
Use props
Raymond_Linares
lvl.1
United States

LeeG Posted at 7-30 09:02
Perhaps an uninformed response, but... Can't you Airmap/Kittyhawk on your phone with wireless data? From what I have seen LAANC approvals don't interface with FLY app anyway.

Not sure how to get the LAANC phone approval to the drone through the smart controller. Don't seem to find a clear workflow.
2020-7-30
Use props
scoble08
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4327592 ft
  • >>>
United States

Raymond_Linares Posted at 7-30 09:14
Not sure how to get the LAANC phone approval to the drone through the smart controller. Don't seem to find a clear workflow.

Are you trying to unlock a DJI Geo Zone?  You can do it from a PC/Mac before going to your location.  Download the DJI unlock to your quad while you have internet access.
For LAANC you just make a request via AirMap/Kittyhawk on your phone.  You are sent an approval, or refusal, by email and txt msg. There is nothing to download to your quad.  
LAANC and DJI Fly Safe are two separate entities that don’t communicate with each other.
2020-7-30
Use props
Raymond_Linares
lvl.1
United States

scoble08 Posted at 7-30 14:01
Are you trying to unlock a DJI Geo Zone?  You can do it from a PC/Mac before going to your location.  Download the DJI unlock to your quad while you have internet access.
For LAANC you just make a request via AirMap/Kittyhawk on your phone.  You are sent an approval, or refusal, by email and txt msg. There is nothing to download to your quad.  
LAANC and DJI Fly Safe are two separate entities that don’t communicate with each other.

For this particular location, I received approval from FAADroneZone the day before.

I also unlocked the Geo Zone on my home desktop. I thought it was linked to my account. Is there a process for pulling the unlocked geozone from your desktop to the smart controller? I.e. via sd card that I'm missing?
2020-7-30
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this concern. After confirming that the unlock request was approved from the DJI Fly Safe team. Please make sure you have internet or data connection to sync the license to the remote controller and drone. For reference I have posted an official DJI tutorial on How to Unlock Geo Zones via DJI Go 4 application on the DJI Smart Controller. Thank you.

2020-7-30
Use props
Marty Markoe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I setup my phone as a WiFi  Hotspot at the site where the SC is used as the RC. In settings on the SC you connect the SC to your phone and can use AirMap, KittyHawk, etc. for authorization.
2020-7-31
Use props
Love Bird
lvl.1
United States

Did you ever get it figured out. I got LAANC approval on my phone - they texted me a code. Can I input my code into the Smart Controller somehow so the big black block goes away? I would love to see the whole picture!
2021-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules