Mavic Air - Noise rain flicker issue
1002 9 2020-7-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MacFarmer
lvl.1

France

Hi All,

After a year of using my Mavic Air (and only 5 opportunities to use it because of bad weather / NFZ / C-19 confinement), I just noticed a very annoying effect on my video footage. It looks like a very light rain... After reading many posts online, I believe it's related to a known 8-frame compression "flickering" problem present in many DJI drones.
I would like your opinion on that and how to correct it if possible, knowing that I don't use (and don't want to use) any video editing software for that specific matter.

Here are the links of 2 recent videos where it shows the most :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/115f_1E6IHyIuxrBX1jzWhBrlxvigu4C2/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q5Co2jpasNmByU0VI3aB3OO8SxXPv8Fh/view?usp=sharing

Here are my video manual settings : 4K at 30 fps, ISO 100, shutter 1/60, style 0 / -1 / -1, D-Cinelike color, white balance manually set on sunny, ND16 Polar Pro filter.

Thank you your help!

2020-7-31
Use props
MacFarmer
lvl.1

France

Any comment from a DJI moderator? I am challenging the quality of your product here...
2020-8-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Did you try another profile than D-Cinelike?
2020-9-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

PS, you might be best off using the products part of this forum. That is way more active!
2020-9-3
Use props
MacFarmer
lvl.1

France

Montfrooij Posted at 9-3 01:16
Did you try another profile than D-Cinelike?

I did and it didn't change anything.
2020-9-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MacFarmer Posted at 9-3 02:58
I did and it didn't change anything.

Ok.
It is usually related to the high compression that DJI uses.
How is FHD working?
2020-9-3
Use props
MacFarmer
lvl.1

France

Montfrooij Posted at 9-3 01:16
PS, you might be best off using the products part of this forum. That is way more active!

That's what I actually ended up doing and I got a fair answer.
It seems that the noise is related to the lack of power of the reader (computer and application). On a brand new computer with up-to-date drivers and the latest version of VLC reader, the noise disappears.
What I don't understand is that it is true with 4K but also with full HD format, which shouldn't be an issue as I don't have such a noise with full HD content from other sources.
2020-9-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MacFarmer Posted at 9-3 03:18
That's what I actually ended up doing and I got a fair answer.
It seems that the noise is related to the lack of power of the reader (computer and application). On a brand new computer with up-to-date drivers and the latest version of VLC reader, the noise disappears.
What I don't understand is that it is true with 4K but also with full HD format, which shouldn't be an issue as I don't have such a noise with full HD content from other sources.

True.
Although noise is a very weird thing.
Something 'real' camera manufacturers have learned to master (probably the hard way) in years of development.
Now DJI is rather new on this department (their first few iterations relied on 3rd party camera's) and they bought themselves into this market when aquiring Hassleblad.

The latest drones did get much better in reducing unwanted artifacts (what you are seeing is more an artifact than sensor noise) and unfortunately the Mavic Air was before that jump in tech.

You have to take into account the fact that your camera is capable of flying very smoothly through the sky AND capture nice footage and live with the fact of artifacts (no pun intended).
Or buy the latest iteration of their drones....
2020-9-3
Use props
MacFarmer
lvl.1

France

Montfrooij Posted at 9-3 08:21
True.
Although noise is a very weird thing.
Something 'real' camera manufacturers have learned to master (probably the hard way) in years of development.

I understand.
I already have invested a lot in my Mavic Air, in terms of accessories, goggles, bags. I am not ready to spend any more money on a new one yet. Especially considering the few occasions I've had in a year to use it. Plus I'm not that a pro/expert in video, so I'm fine with what I currently have.
2020-9-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MacFarmer Posted at 9-3 09:11
I understand.
I already have invested a lot in my Mavic Air, in terms of accessories, goggles, bags. I am not ready to spend any more money on a new one yet. Especially considering the few occasions I've had in a year to use it. Plus I'm not that a pro/expert in video, so I'm fine with what I currently have.

Very smart approach.
I am still very happy with my flying camera.
Even though it delivers less image quality than my DSLR.
But that does not fly
(only once maybe)
2020-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules