Propeller guard issue?
6663 14 2020-7-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ginosergio63
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5653 ft
Italy

Today I have Made my first flight in a city environment and following the italian rules i had the original propellers guards mounted. I remember I had read that the  mini goes in load mode and so the height is limited to 120 meters and distance to 100 meter.But my flight was instead limited to 30 meters height and 50 distance, WHY?
I was using an ipad and i think i was logged in, in DJI FLY with my account.
Not really sure.... but when i reached home and launched the app again, to upload the flight data, it did not asked me for user and password.

Please help
Thank you
Sergio
2020-7-31
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Without me looking, I believe that the 30 / 50 meter limit is correct for payload mode.  Pretty sure it is NOT 120 / 100 meters..
2020-7-31
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Once initiated, you should not have to log in again. I haven't had to do that in several months.
2020-7-31
Use props
Ginosergio63
lvl.2
Italy

K6CCC Posted at 7-31 18:10
Without me looking, I believe that the 30 / 50 meter limit is correct for payload mode.  Pretty sure it is NOT 120 / 100 meters..

This is a copy from the prop guard manual:

After installing the propeller guards, the maximum flight speed (no wind) is limited to 18
mph (29 kph), and the aircraft's max service ceiling above sea level is 1500 m. Maintain
visual line of sight of your aircraft even when using the propeller guards. To ensure flight
safety, the flight height will be limited to no more than 120 m, and the distance is no more
than 100 m.
2020-8-1
Use props
djiuser_RIeSM3mAo5mf
lvl.4
Flight distance : 542083 ft
Spain

Sergio,check that you got enough satellites , if not, the flight is limited on similar values as you can fly (i don't exactly remember the limits) ,it's explained on the user manual, check for limited flight zones too

Saludos

2020-8-1
Use props
Ginosergio63
lvl.2
Italy

djiuser_RIeSM3mAo5mf Posted at 8-1 04:24
Sergio,check that you got enough satellites , if not, the flight is limited on similar values as you can fly (i don't exactly remember the limits) ,it's explained on the user manual, check for limited flight zones too

Saludos

That was not the case. 12 satellites and no limitations  in the zone.
And, if I go in DJI FLY app and i playback my flight, i can clearly see the message:
“Propeller guard detected ”
“Maximum height will be limited to 30 meters and distance to 50 meters”

That is different from what i read in the manual.

Maybe it is the latest firmware?

These limits are ridiculous.

Someone from DJI can answer?
2020-8-1
Use props
djiuser_RIeSM3mAo5mf
lvl.4
Flight distance : 542083 ft
Spain

Did you select the OVERLOAD option in menu?

i use guards from COMBO kit and fly perfect
2020-8-2
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I too thought it was 30m and 50m in payload mode but, sure enough, the manual says otherwise.

These screen recorder things are most useful for catching messages that we miss!
2020-8-2
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

For my knowledge prop guards are required only when flying near people, for example above a garden (not a public one). Of course the most reasonable answer is in Italy (and many other countries you CANNOT reasonably fly your drone, other than over a nice potato field). For what I remember when you're above a certain height (70 meters?) you're not required prop guards anymore, even if there may be people below the drone.

Anyway... prop guards are a liability on their own and should be used if really necessary as the performance and wind resistance is heavily impaired. The limits sets by DJI are very reasonable, personally I'd only use prop. guards inside.
2020-8-2
Use props
Ginosergio63
lvl.2
Italy

For all folks that gave an answer, right or wrong, and for all people that will find this thread in the next years, here is the right answer that i found elsewhere:

The manual is wrong. Still in versione 1.0, it was neve updated. The FLY app already had 4/5 updates and now the limits in PAYLOAD MODE are 30 meters height and 50 for distance.
The PAYLOAD mode kicks in automatically few seconds after take-off and is determined by the current level (mAh) requested by the motors to keep the mini at its fixed height.
Air turbulence, descending winds, damaged, bended propellers, may cause a PAYLOAD mode even if you don’t have prop guard or other load.

After takeoff when the mini is hovering you can enter advanced settings in DJI FLY app and CANCEL payload mode so you can fly with prop guard but without height or distance limits.
Do it at your own risk

I must use prop guards in Italy even outside, to comply to requirements of the sub-300 grams drone category.

I ended up buying some really light prop guards (10g) that do not cause the PAYLOAD MODE.
2020-8-2
Use props
Edgardo-TDF
lvl.2
Flight distance : 126027 ft
Argentina

Hi Gino ... nice to meet you, and thank you for the information collected ... very clear.
Will you be able to show the guard prop that you acquired ?, or detail: brand, place of purchase, etc ...
cordial greetings
2020-8-2
Use props
Ginosergio63
lvl.2
Italy

Edgardo-TDF Posted at 8-2 08:33
Hi Gino ... nice to meet you, and thank you for the information collected ... very clear.
Will you be able to show the guard prop that you acquired ?, or detail: brand, place of purchase, etc ...
cordial greetings

Hi Edgardo, here is the link to the prop guards that I bought.
Just a note, I was wrong, total weight is 14 grams and not 10.

https://www.ebay.it/itm/DJI-Mavi ... 2057872.m2749.l2649

[/url]
2020-8-2
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Italian legislators are integralists but still were not as much to impose the guards on something they probably couldn't even foresee as possible.
https://www.quadricottero.com/20 ... dallart-20-del.html

Apparently you're not required any prop-guard in Italy or in EU with the Mavic Mini. You are of course only allowed to fly very close, very low, and very dangerously as long as you don't fly: not over people, not over places, not over roads or structures, not over parks, nor over anything except an agricoltural field... and be careful to retrieve your drone as quickly as possible once you're done before the peasant owner makes a roast of the poor four legged copter accidentally landed onto their property.
2020-8-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Sergio. I am sorry to read and to know that you are having these issues with your DJI Mavic Mini and thank you for reaching out. Since you are using a propeller guard on the said drone phleas do not forget to enable the payload mode on the DJI Fly application. Can you please try to fly the said drone to a different location/area with less interference for us to isolate the said issue. May we also know the model of the mobile device you are using please? In addition, I will post an official DJI tutorial video on DJI Remote Controller Antenna Best Practices. Thank you.

2020-8-2
Use props
fans7991063b
New
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-1 05:15
Be particularly mindful of the windspeed & direction if you fly outdoors with the prop cages installed.  Fly upwind & stay as low as possible.  It's a sailboat with underwhelming motors with the cages installed.

I just took mine up for the first time over the trees. The wind caught it and it disappeared. Luckily I got it down with seconds remaining on the battery. Never thought the prop cages would cause so much drag.
2020-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules