Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone in tree stories
1312 8 2020-7-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MM AIR
lvl.1
United States

Thought this might be a good place to mention my drone stuck in a tree story....
Was a nice day looking to get some follow me shots on a trail thru some trees. Got basic shot and was under some large canopy of oak trees. Now when I setup the drone it did not aquire the GPS signal and update the home point. So battery got low and was about to land it and heard drone say returning home! Of course it was set to return home hight of 45 feet. I was scrabling to force it down, but just went straignt up into moss hanging from trees. Tree was too steep to climb and tried to throw bike chain to knock it free as it was dangling from moss. It was about 40 feet up in the air over the trail very high! Of course the chain got stuck in the tree too. Had to re-group and visit Home Depot.

Solution:
Got paint poll with 3x8=24 extention and friut picker another 12ft. Figured this would be plenty long, duck taped together. Wow its hard to control a poll that long took a while but kocked it down. Had wife catch but she patially missed but still works! Returned the poll and picker to HD.

Lesson:
LAND when battery is low and ALLWAYS ensure home position is updated. If not turn return to home off and fly close by. IE follow me. At least this lesson was just a waste of time!

Feel free to share you stupid tree stories.

2020-7-31
Use props
MM AIR
lvl.1
United States

BTW feel free to share your story
2020-7-31
Use props
KDP +
lvl.4
Flight distance : 947930 ft
Belgium

Fine result...

If people were passing, I think they would have thought 'what is that guy doing ??'  
2020-8-1
Use props
MM AIR
lvl.1
United States

They were people there to see my silly contraption st&^t show.  There is always the people that just want to watch. Did not mention this was after biking 2miles into trail. Looked like knights on bikes with these polls. People were really scratching their heads on that one.
2020-8-1
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2020-8-2
Use props
kristenpaquette
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2831 ft
United States

My Mavic Air 2 was circling a church steeple and just went right into a tree. It landed fairly solidly but unfortunately a slight wind shaking the branch knocked her out. I was not close enough to catch her, and she fell and broke her harness that holds the camera! I'm hoping to be able to share a success story of DJI repair, since I have shipped her off to Cali to the DJI repair center. Fingers crossed!
2020-8-4
Use props
MM AIR
lvl.1
United States

kristenpaquette Posted at 8-4 07:44
My Mavic Air 2 was circling a church steeple and just went right into a tree. It landed fairly solidly but unfortunately a slight wind shaking the branch knocked her out. I was not close enough to catch her, and she fell and broke her harness that holds the camera! I'm hoping to be able to share a success story of DJI repair, since I have shipped her off to Cali to the DJI repair center. Fingers crossed!

Had a great experience with DJI repair was in first month or so had drone. Had flight controller error and would not fly. They swapped it out with another one looked new. You can look on DJI site for parts list and prices. Really fair prices for parts. Bad news if they need to replace the Gimbal (camera assembly) its one of the more expensive parts.
2020-8-4
Use props
kristenpaquette
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2831 ft
United States

That's excellent to hear! I've been a bit worried that there were no success stories that I could find and I'm happy to have heard yours!
Fortunately it's only the small pieces on the side that hold the camera that broke - The camera itself was not damaged. Thank you so much for your response!
2020-8-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Low altitude manual orbit - smashed my MA2 into a tree last week and bought a brand new last weekend! Oh well.
2020-10-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules