Planning a video
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Have you noticed, most videos here are flyarounds?I have done many myself and whilst this isn't a criticism, what about attempting something with a start, middle and end that tries to convey a sequence of events and the feelings of the people involved?I was asked to shoot some drone video of a restored miniature train, here on the Island.

Yes, you guessed, a straight-up, pan a bit and perhaps track the train and land. Job done!
Why not plan the shoot so that it has some entertainment value.
Here is my rough plan, basic notes so I captured the things that I needed:-
Intro about main train and now it has a little one.

Cab view.

Low level close to wheels shot.

Switch to little train.

Little train coming out of shed. Not done, I arrived early, but not early enough. Bad planning.

People buying tickets.

People boarding train.

High level shot of train leaving station.

Low level shot up at passing train.

High level shot of train approaching drone at curve.

Train pulling into station.

People alighting the little train.

I had visited the location the day before and practiced, the flight. The wind was gusty so near the sea and would be worse the next day. Low power cables at one end of the track presented issues, as did tall bushes and small trees.
It was important to avoid the drone flying over people.
I concluded the drone work would be very limited and I would need to place more reliance on a still camera in video mode.
I hate music on videos, seldom is it right, so I decided to use ambient sounds. I filled in the silent drone shots with sound taken from discarded video camera clips.

Here is the result.   

OK, it isn't on a par with a James Bond movie, but it is food for thought, if you want to produce something other people might want to watch.
Good luck

DJI_0678 Miniature train track map.jpg
2020-8-2
Use props
fansaf473092
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1194662 ft
United States

Those are good ideas.  I have a couple places I want to fly and record.  Your ideas area good starting point.
2020-8-2
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2020-8-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great ideas there.   I liked the video too.
2020-8-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Great subject.
And nice post too!
2020-9-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

PS, I love the video
2020-9-3
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Thank you all for your kind words.
I have been away from this site and not droned either. I recently bought an unusual home to live in. It was a major Bank and is known as The Safe House. There are 3 safes there, all too large to move. The main vault is my bathroom and amongst other things, has a 4 person Jacuzzi.  Tha vault door is about 2 tones weight and is still working.
I hope to feature it in an upcoming video which will include a drone  look-down and  video of the internals using a still camera in video mode.
2020-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules