screws came out and propeller flew off causing crash
913 12 2020-8-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The5harrelsons
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1712979 ft
United States

I have had the current aircraft P4P since Jan/2019. (it was a refurb from DJI)
Two days ago while it was hovering about 30 feet (10 meters), without warning it spiraled down, breaking the landing gear, one propeller, and now the gimbal will not hold steady and has a motor overload.
After investigating it was found to have one propeller that all three screws came out.  The propeller flew off with the mount and three screws still together.

I have never seen any maint. requirement to check the torqe on these since DJI puts them on with loctite.

I have not warranty with DJI, but i am shipping it to them today.  I hope they feel like these screws should have never came out and helps me with the repair cost.
2020-8-3
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Can you post some pic of the damaged part ?
2020-8-3
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

2020-8-3
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I am sorry to hear about the accident, as the drone crashed, please send the drone back for service. As you mentioned that the drone was purchased in January 2019, the drone may be beyond the warranty period. In this case, a paid service may require (warranty period can be checked at this site). Sorry again for the case. Hope for your kind understanding.
2020-8-3
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17736 ft
United States

JetSam Posted at 8-3 22:09

All of you DJi Moderators can retire now. We have JetSam
2020-8-4
Use props
The5harrelsons
lvl.2
United States

JetSam Posted at 8-3 22:09

Here is a pic of the damaged landing gear and the picture of the motor is after I put the bracket back on (but it is missing the spring) all three screws came out of this bracket and were still in the bracket and connected to the propeller after the crash.
813EBB1A-30BB-4D38-B1DA-90FB19E99BDF.jpeg
2A2DD734-84C8-4EB7-AE14-F28C67C461B1.jpeg
2020-8-4
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer
United States

The5harrelsons Posted at 8-4 05:35
Here is a pic of the damaged landing gear and the picture of the motor is after I put the bracket back on (but it is missing the spring) all three screws came out of this bracket and were still in the bracket and connected to the propeller after the crash.

As with any aircraft you should always perform a pre flight check. I'm sure if you had checked the propellers you would have found that one was loose.

Many problems could have been avoided if pilots had just paid attention to the basics.
It's always easier to blame someone else?
2020-8-5
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

my doubt is how those screws came loose ...
2020-8-5
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

ATJ Posted at 8-5 09:43
As with any aircraft you should always perform a pre flight check. I'm sure if you had checked the propellers you would have found that one was loose.

Many problems could have been avoided if pilots had just paid attention to the basics.

As you say, the pre-flight check is totally necessary
2020-8-5
Use props
The5harrelsons
lvl.2
United States

ATJ Posted at 8-5 09:43
As with any aircraft you should always perform a pre flight check. I'm sure if you had checked the propellers you would have found that one was loose.

Maybe so , but you would think it would have vibrated during take off.

From take off till it fell off was about 3 mins.
2020-8-5
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

Pretty strange,  for sure.  They must have all been hanging on by a thread.   You would certainly think that would cause some odd behavior and vibration.  It would have no doubt felt loose during a pre-flight.   I would have expected to see more damage to the hub in that partially loosened condition.  
2020-8-6
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer
United States

One thing you can do is, count your lucky stars it didn't come spiraling down on someone's head.
2020-8-7
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

ATJ Posted at 8-7 05:02
One thing you can do is, count your lucky stars it didn't come spiraling down on someone's head.

Agreed !!!
2020-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules