PHANTOM 3 PROFESSIONAL CRASHED WITH FLIGHT LOG
3337 21 2015-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jeezcak3
lvl.1

United States

I was flying around parking lot at 3M altitude then it suddenly dropped when I tried to go higher. Spectators were curious and amazed then suddenly it free-fell. It was so dangerous, kids were around watching. I can only explain so much, please check out the video.

2015-6-20
Use props
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

Do you have video of the crash? I would love to watch what really happen... Did you keep LOS with it?
2015-6-20
Use props
jeezcak3
lvl.1

United States

Jack57 Posted at 2015-6-21 01:56
Do you have video of the crash? I would love to watch what really happen... Did you keep LOS with it ...

yes and of course. It was in a parking lot. it was about 100 meters. You can verify in the video.
2015-6-20
Use props
sinbad_uk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117343 ft
United Kingdom

Why is max height set to 5.0 meters?
Was VPS Enabled?
Funny it flew at a height of 3m till 2:48 (ish) then went mental -250+ with no stick input.
looks as if something was not calibrated as it had no idea what height it was at.
2015-6-20
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

This looks like the worst possible place to fly a quadcopter.
Basic questions
1. How many hours of flight time and experience do you have?
2. What model - what firmware - what app and what device?
3. Did you calibrate the compass at the place and time of flight?

It is dangerous to fly around people, vehicles and buildings - which is exactly why you are not supposed to do that.

This is from the owners manual:
2. Only fly in open areas. Tall structures and metal structures may affect the accuracy of the on-board compass and GPS system.
3. Avoid obstacles, crowds, high voltage power lines, trees, and bodies of water.
4. Minimize interference by avoiding areas with high levels of electromagnetism, including base stations
and radio transmission towers.
2015-6-20
Use props
cascadeflyer
lvl.2

United States

I agree with df. Bad spot to be flying. Guessing bad compass calibration or interference due to where you chose to fly.
2015-6-20
Use props
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

Is anything broken on the Phantom?
2015-6-20
Use props
Louis Eng
lvl.2

South Africa

And all of you critics are you doing what you preach, only flying in open areas, never above other people's property like cars or houses, or water like the manuel say? I wonder. Remind me if i ever have a incedent not to share
2015-6-20
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Louis Eng Posted at 2015-6-21 03:14
And all of you critics are you doing what you preach, only flying in open areas, never above other p ...

I can't understand what you are getting at. That area is densely urban - not even a patch of grass. Thousands of cars and blacktop and concrete (with reinforcing). If compass was calibrated there it would likely have errors.

I repeat - that's a horrible place to fly a quadcopter  - because it will result in crashes, loss or injury to someone.

Would you rather we yap at DJI for his mistake(s). If you drive down the wrong lane of the highway, things are gonna happen.

And, since you asked, I fly LOS - and in open or abandoned areas. I don't fly over people (crowds) and if I choose to fly over water I won't be calling DJI when I lose it. I take the risk.

Maybe the OP wants to continue flying quadcopters and to keep his equipment longer. If so he will learn from this. No one is calling him names.
2015-6-20
Use props
gatorone30
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1145489 ft
United States

I have to agree. Based on the satellite view that would be that last place you would want to fly. Go out to the countryside. That being said. Sorry about your crash
2015-6-20
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

At around 2:45 in the video, the GPS weak signal warning came on. Not too far beyond that point there's some serious "stick" play - looks like full up on the throttle/ascend stick for a moment - yet the altitude for the entire flight seems stuck at 5.0M

Also, in the final 30 - 40 seconds before the end of the video, your gimbal was going berserk. Either something broke, something failed, something definitely went wrong. I didn't see it at first, but then I saw that dot over on the right hand side. That's the position indicator for the gimbal and it's on a roller-coaster ride.

Wish we could get an update for the Android app - I kind of like being able to see the sticks down there in the lower left - you're obviously on an iOS device - we droid users still don't have that on ours.

Regardless, sorry for your loss.
2015-6-20
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

That video doesn't tell us anything, looks to me like you have a bad USB cable, let's see the video you were taking when this happend
2015-6-20
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

Aburkefl, you need to look at the info below the battery line, the 5m was the max height for the flight..  You clearly don't understand the app
2015-6-20
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

exactly why there are rules. You broke just about everyone of them.
2015-6-26
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Mark97564 Posted at 2015-6-21 12:53
Aburkefl, you need to look at the info below the battery line, the 5m was the max height for the fli ...

I agree - I forgot that the numbers indicated the maximum height reached during the flight. But that still doesn't explain, particularly that low, why the stick movement is so quick and seemingly erratic.

By the way, since you're so dedicated to being Mr. Warmth, I don't mind if you leave my posts alone in the future. I'll be sure to avoid yours as well. It appears anyone who disagrees with your opinion about virtually anything is fair game. Name calling, insults and general denigration doesn't accomplish much.
2015-6-28
Use props
agritsouk
lvl.1

Canada

I'm wondering if more experienced pilots and DJI P3 users could look at the logs I have retrieved and suggest the explanations to why my flight has ended this way ( crashed into a building after uncontrollable dancing in horizontal plane)?
Unfortunately the MOV file is not opening, but I'm providing a link to it just in case if somebody can recover it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lolzfib2g97i67/DJI_0008.MOV?dl=0
The flight log from the mobile device (.txt) and from the phantom (.DAT) are here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hlwdn ... SSyRZLC_DXKl_a?dl=0
I would really appreciate any comment as DJI is not as quick as I expected in answering to my similar request.

2015-8-9
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

Jeezcak3,  Just looking at the picture of your flight log is scary and as you said, "it was so dangerous."  
2015-8-9
Use props
hundleton1
First Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Id say you may have a barometer fault, you need to send it in for DJI to look over it
2015-8-9
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-8-9
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

agritsouk@roger Posted at 2015-8-9 21:51
I'm wondering if more experienced pilots and DJI P3 users could look at the logs I have retrieved an ...

agritsouk:

is it just me or did you launch from an apartment window? ( Red blobs is me removing location details ) If I had to guess why it possibly went out of control ( if it did ) then I would say bad compass or interferance. Would be good to see the MOV but as you say its not readable.
Capture.PNG
2015-8-9
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

You must have nerves to start that thing in a crowded city, i would not do that because the phantom has no redundancy and like you mentioned it can hurt somebody seriously and you will have a lot of trouble afterwards or damage a car, it can probably haunt you forever. The other flight route as well in the middle of a street with heavy traffic.

For me it looks like a prop went off or ESC went bad etc.. It has the typical signs when it spins like that.
2015-8-9
Use props
agritsouk
lvl.1

Canada

I launched from the roof and not sure why it shows the starting point on the side of the building (about 5-7 meters sidewise). While taking all criticism I deserved, still wondering what could be found in the logs specifically pointing at the fault. I flew the similar route a few times before and it was perfectly stable. This time the drone was hunting taking itself different directions quickly and appeared to be listening only to the altitude commands. Did not have much time to react. So, who can come up with the interpretation of the available info and tell what exactly went wrong? It started abnormal flight from the very beginning and I was trying to bring it back to starting point and land, but it did not follow my commands. I'm very interested to learn how jeezcak3 (post #1) get the info for his video.
Thank you all for commenting!
2015-8-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules