Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
The Demise of Darth Videous
291 32 8-3 11:07
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 6793123 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is with much sadness & regret I must report the loss of my trusty Phantom 3 Standard, "Darth Videous".  Yesterday afternoon, while flying in 96° temps, I received a "Critical Battery Error" message.  It was less than 1000' away & made it back to the Home point but, just as I began landing, the battery shut down completely.   It was a sickening feeling when it became silent because I knew what was coming.  The battery level was at 21% with the last logged battery temp a toasty 175.4°!  

The bird fell about 100' & landed top-down on the asphalt.   A broken prop, shell torqued up in several spots, internal battery cage broken, components rattling around inside, & the camera sheered off at the yaw arm.  The tilt ring split as well.  Not sure if it's worth repairing?

Darth Videous is a veteran of hundreds of flights,  nearly all long, complex, Litchi missions.  Darth was the chase bird in most of my dual-bird Litchi missions.  The aircraft is survived by sister ship, "Miss Ruby" & eight other fleet aircraft.

RIP, old friend!
IMAG3544.jpg
8-3 11:07
Use props
1Eagle
First Officer
Flight distance : 290348 ft
United States

Sad news indeed, DB
He lived a good, long, productive life.
I enjoyed every one of his fantastic videos that I could find.
RIP ol' Boy.
May he rest in pieces.......
(wicked grin)
8-3 11:18
Use props
JetSam
Captain
Flight distance : 2385246 ft
Spain

Sorry for your loss ! Your videos clearly demonstrate the incredible capabilities of these flying artifacts. I would save it as a trophy,regards

Still loving all your Phantom videos :
A trio of Phantom 3 Quadroceptors are on routine combat air patrol when a sudden malfunction puts the entire mission at risk.  Only courage, cool heads, & team work allow them to save their young flight leader from certain death in the frigid waters.  Ride along & experience first hand their incredible true story!

8-3 21:54
Use props
JetSam
Captain
Spain

never before have I enjoyed watching drone videos as much as yours

8-3 21:56
Use props
JetSam
Captain
Spain

I'm WATCHING it again, oHH yes! again I feel the goose bumps, it looks like a movie with that powerful music

EPIC
8-3 22:05
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 1030144 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry for your loss......   
8-3 23:13
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 12840059 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It sounds odd but we do form some kind of attachment to these drones as we associate the places we've taken them - quite similar to selling a car. Really sorry to read of your loss mate. You could do some basic repairs and keep it to put on a wall in the garage but I think Darth needs to be retired from flying now.
8-3 23:17
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2398540 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha DB,

Sad to hear.  May Videous the Virtuous rest in peace!  As Frank noted, your videos are epically entertaining and due to Videous hard efforts.

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
8-4 00:49
Use props
DJI Stephen
Super Moderator

Hello there Dirty Bird. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Phantom 3 Standard "Darth Videous". This saddens me to know that you have lost one of your priceless DJI drone. Again, I am sorry for your loss and please stay safe always.
8-4 19:50
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JetSam Posted at 8-3 21:56
never before have I enjoyed watching drone videos as much as yours
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26ztIk624cs

Thank you very much.  For me this video was Darth Videous' greatest achievement & lasting legacy.
8-5 07:42
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 8-3 23:13
Sorry for your loss......

Thanks.  It is said that "all RC aircraft have an expiration date".   Sadly, Darth is expired...
8-5 07:45
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 8-3 23:17
It sounds odd but we do form some kind of attachment to these drones as we associate the places we've taken them - quite similar to selling a car. Really sorry to read of your loss mate. You could do some basic repairs and keep it to put on a wall in the garage but I think Darth needs to be retired from flying now.

Yes I hate losing a bird.  I put all the pieces back in the box.  Perhaps someday I'll open the shell & attempt repairs.  At minimum it needs a full shell with battery cage/landing gear, a camera yaw arm, roll ring, & a new ribbon cable.  Not sure what might be damaged inside with something rattling around?  I did not attempt to power up after the crash.  The battery still works but I am afraid to charge it as there is a dent in a cell.  I'll probably charge it sitting on the driveway & video it in case it gets interesting.  
8-5 07:56
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 12840059 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-5 07:56
Yes I hate losing a bird.  I put all the pieces back in the box.  Perhaps someday I'll open the shell & attempt repairs.  At minimum it needs a full shell with battery cage/landing gear, a camera yaw arm, roll ring, & a new ribbon cable.  Not sure what might be damaged inside with something rattling around?  I did not attempt to power up after the crash.  The battery still works but I am afraid to charge it as there is a dent in a cell.  I'll probably charge it sitting on the driveway & video it in case it gets interesting.

Good idea - can't beat a battery on fire for YT clicks mate
8-5 07:57
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 8-4 00:49
Aloha DB,

Sad to hear.  May Videous the Virtuous rest in peace!  As Frank noted, your videos are epically entertaining and due to Videous hard efforts.

Thanks!  I am happy that I have plenty of backup birds to fly.  If this had been my only one it would be devastating.
8-5 07:58
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-4 19:50
Hello there Dirty Bird. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Phantom 3 Standard "Darth Videous". This saddens me to know that you have lost one of your priceless DJI drone. Again, I am sorry for your loss and please stay safe always.

Thank you.  Darth Videous served me well & I have no complaints.  Not even the bird's fault.  Just the battery gave out under the stress of 15+ minutes at 30 mph in the high heat.
8-5 08:00
Use props
JetSam
Captain
Spain

you can be very proud of your videos showing the capabilities of these amazing machines
8-5 10:07
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 1030144 ft
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-5 07:45
Thanks.  It is said that "all RC aircraft have an expiration date".   Sadly, Darth is expired...

Perhaps see if you can get some cheap parts to patch him up.
8-5 23:56
Use props
DJI Stephen
Super Moderator

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-5 08:00
Thank you.  Darth Videous served me well & I have no complaints.  Not even the bird's fault.  Just the battery gave out under the stress of 15+ minutes at 30 mph in the high heat.

Hi there Dirty Bird. Thank you for the reply and you are welcome. This really shows that Darth Videous served you well and how proud you are with Darth Videous. Agian, I am sorry for your loss and let us keep on flying for Darth Videous.
8-6 03:15
Use props
T3rdEye
Captain
Flight distance : 198442 ft
United States

So sorry for your loss and have enjoyed your videos for years..RIP Darth Videous..
8-8 04:38
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

RIP Darth Videous you will be missed.
8-8 06:08
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 1839354 ft
France

Sad news indeed. Condolences. But:  Old drones never die, they just don't RTH......his spirit will be circling somewhere overhead
8-8 22:44
Use props
JetSam
Captain
Spain

Hello DB !! Just one question , What total distance did you get with that device?
8-9 22:11
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JetSam Posted at 8-9 22:11
Hello DB !! Just one question , What total distance did you get with that device?
Unfortunately there is no way to know since almost all of Darth Videous' flights were Litchi missions.  I bought the two P3 Standards specifically for Litchi missions.  Darth only had 13 flights with DJI Go for a total of just over 69,000'.  The Litchi missions were all 37,000'+ each & there were a lot of them!

Someday I hope DJI engineers will fulfill my request for an option in the Assistant 2 software to "Sync Internal Flight Records".  The flight data from every flight is stored internally on the bird's "black box", regardless of what app you used to fly.  It can't be that difficult to have the Assistant sync the stored flights to our DJI records.  I've always wondered how many feet I've really flown!  

Screenshot_20200811-012103_DJI GO.jpg
8-10 21:32
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 8-8 06:08
RIP Darth Videous you will be missed.

Thanks.  Maybe someday Darth will reappear from the grave, just like Palpatine.   
8-10 21:34
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

T3rdEye Posted at 8-8 04:38
So sorry for your loss and have enjoyed your videos for years..RIP Darth Videous..

Thank you kindly!
8-10 21:35
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 8-8 22:44
Sad news indeed. Condolences. But:  Old drones never die, they just don't RTH......his spirit will be circling somewhere overhead

Thanks!  Still having nightmares about that moment the sky grew silent...
8-10 21:37
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 1839354 ft
France

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-10 21:37
Thanks!  Still having nightmares about that moment the sky grew silent...

Yeah the first reaction must have been " Oh CR*P!"  and second "I wish I'd worn my tin helmet!"  It's handy tp have a few more birds in the hangar, at least. As I have discovered.  Take care, Particularly during this Global crisis. Best wishes from the Mayenne.
8-11 02:21
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-10 21:34

That would be awesome.
8-11 05:38
Use props
Peterx
Captain
Flight distance : 1479547 ft
Germany

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-10 21:34

..like a phoenix from the ash ?
8-16 23:57
Use props
JetSam
Captain
Spain

An island now in time
The secrets of your mind
The stories you could tell
This world you know so well

The wonders you have seen
A life time in a dream
History books recall your fame
So many times, so many names

Phoenix rising
The flames are calling
To the unborn
From the setting sun
Phoenix rising
The flames are calling
To the newborn
It's time has come

The taste of love fades too soon
Like the seasons of the moon
A heart that's turned to stone
From an endless life alone

Shaping fate and destiny
Of a future world to be
Damned into the flames
Eternity reborn again

8-17 00:57
Use props
JetSam
Captain
Spain

Peterx Posted at 8-16 23:57
..like a phoenix from the ash ?

Eternity reborn again
8-17 00:59
Use props
Peterx
Captain
Flight distance : 1479547 ft
Germany

In China the Phoenix and the Dragon live together as the Ying and Yang.
8-17 02:34
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 1915335 ft
Netherlands

I feel for you.
Most be very weird to experience.
yesterday 09:27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now