12Next >
2089 54 2020-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_pVzOCZcKi0X6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 120361 ft
Indonesia

I bought a Mavic Air 2 in the USA.  I flew it many times in US and got several warnings from ADS-B about aircraft in the vicinity.

I am now traveling outside of the US and ADS-B is no longer in the setting menu and I am no longer receiving aircraft alerts.

Is there a good reason why a safety feature would be intentionally disabled?

@dji - Pass on this issue on to dev and legal, to serve as documentation of this deficiency should an avoidable accident happen in the future.

thanks,
mac
2020-8-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Believe ADS-B is primarily a US safety system.  Thus, it does not appear in the menu, when flying outside U.S.

FAA - Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast

US Coverage Map

2020-8-4
Use props
djiuser_pVzOCZcKi0X6
lvl.3
Indonesia

https://flightaware.com/adsb/coverage
The reason I left this forum ages ago, was just this - bad information.

ADS-B has been mandated in many countries.   

BTW - the map thing you posted is a "Advisory Services En Route Service Volumes Current as of October 2015"   -  "TIS-B is a surveillance service that derives traffic information from one or more radar-based surveillance sources, ASDE-X, wide area multilateration and uplinks this traffic information to ADS-B In equipped aircraft."  

2020-8-4
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 8-4 01:04
Believe ADS-B is primarily a US safety system.  Thus, it does not appear in the menu, when flying outside U.S.

It has also been available in Canada from the launch date mate (so all of North America) and is starting to be released in Europe now.
2020-8-4
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did you ever crash into a plane or chopper flying the Spark?
2020-8-4
Use props
djiuser_pVzOCZcKi0X6
lvl.3
Indonesia

> Did you ever crash into a plane or chopper flying the Spark?

no, I've not flown my AC into manned aircraft.  The spark has been long ago been gifted and sacrificed to the sea.

How 'bout you Cap - You flown into a chopper?  Drones have hit manned aircraft in the past.
2020-8-4
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_pVzOCZcKi0X6 Posted at 8-4 02:09
> Did you ever crash into a plane or chopper flying the Spark?

no, I've not flown my AC into manned aircraft.  The spark has been long ago been gifted and sacrificed to the sea.

Never crashed any of my 12 DJI drones outdoors into anything. I can also hear choppers approaching and take action accordingly. Point being ADS-B is a nice to have but is by no means an essential feature. Unless you are either deaf or stupid you will not hit a chopper with your drone. I have read of a couple of stupid people that have hit manned aircraft and I don't think ADS-B would have made any difference to their intelligence. Thats a couple of cases out of how many millions of drones sold?
2020-8-4
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

See this site for drone collision statistics    https://aviation-safety.net/data ... %20%20date%20%20%20,with%20a%20drone.%20%206%20more%20rows%20
2020-8-4
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 8-4 12:47
See this site for drone collision statistics    https://aviation-safety.net/database/issue/drones.php#:~:text=%20%20%20%20date%20%20%20,with%20a%20drone.%20%206%20more%20rows%20

without endorsing the website, maybe this is a better link:  https://aviation-safety.net/database/issue/dronedb.php
2020-8-4
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

The Saint Posted at 8-4 13:33
without endorsing the website, maybe this is a better link:  https://aviation-safety.net/database/issue/dronedb.php

Yeah...the previous two replies were concerning crashing a drone into a plane or chopper...plus your download costs 9 pounds.
2020-8-4
Use props
djiuser_pVzOCZcKi0X6
lvl.3
Indonesia

A J Posted at 8-4 07:43
Never crashed any of my 12 DJI drones outdoors into anything. I can also hear choppers approaching and take action accordingly. Point being ADS-B is a nice to have but is by no means an essential feature. Unless you are either deaf or stupid you will not hit a chopper with your drone. I have read of a couple of stupid people that have hit manned aircraft and I don't think ADS-B would have made any difference to their intelligence. Thats a couple of cases out of how many millions of drones sold?

You do you my gatekeeping friend.
2020-8-4
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Be liable for your own actions.  Bottom line.
2020-8-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 8-4 01:04

I believe ADS-B is primarily a US safety system.
What makes you think that?
btw ...It's completely wrong.
2020-8-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This might help inform you - https://www.trig-avionics.com/kn ... roduction-to-ads-b/
2020-8-5
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_pVzOCZcKi0X6 Posted at 8-4 17:29
You do you my gatekeeping friend.

My pleasure
2020-8-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. As of the moment only North America is available for the ADS-B version ( Airsense ) drone. For more information regarding the DJI AirSense kindly please visit our official DJI FlySafe AirSense website. Thank you.
2020-8-5
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Regardless of a mandated warning system or not,  the RPIC is responsible for avoiding all manned aircraft .   

Liability rests with the RPIC.

Randy
2020-8-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-4 19:28

Well several things.  Before responding to OP, I did some digging.

First was whether DJI had put out any information as to Why ADS-B would disappear from Menu system (aka be disabled) when outside US (as stated by OP).

Second was OP showed to be in Indonesia.

Third was any information on ADS-B either came back with: 1) U.S. / FAA or 2) How ADS-B worked.
Nothing about ADS-B being deployed in places like Indonesia or Europe, South Africa, Russia, etc.

Fourth, ADS-B was Map I posted covered U.S.   No MAP showing ADS-B came up for other countries.

Which is what made me think that, ADS-B is primarily a US safety System.

2020-8-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-4 19:28

Did you know why DJI is removing ADS-B from menu (disabling ADS-B) when OP traveled outside U.S.?
2020-8-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 8-5 15:55

First was whether DJI had put out any information as to Why ADS-B would disappear from Menu system (aka be disabled) when outside US (as stated by OP).

None of that digging was helpful or particularly relevant.
Checking Wikipedia would have given you the real story.

ADS-B is used universally.
A brief reading of the first section here might explain this:
https://www.flightradar24.com/how-it-works

Or for something pictorial:
https://www.flightradar24.com/-2.64,122.72/3

2020-8-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 8-5 15:57
Did you know why DJI is removing ADS-B from menu (disabling ADS-B) when OP traveled outside U.S.?

I have no idea why.
DJI do a number of unusual things without explanation.

2020-8-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-5 18:19

Thank you for such an enlightening post critique.  
2020-8-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-5 18:20
I have no idea why.
DJI do a number of unusual things without explanation.

Maybe because for DJI, ADS-B at this time, is primarily a U.S. thing, and still being rolled out elsewhere.
DJI (mod) - "As of the moment only North America is available for the ADS-B version ( Airsense ) drone."

Me bad, I should have included Canada.

2020-8-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 8-5 18:55
Maybe because for DJI, ADS-B at this time, is primarily a U.S. thing, and still being rolled out elsewhere.
DJI (mod) - "As of the moment only North America is available for the ADS-B version ( Airsense ) drone."

Are you saying that DJI doesn't do ADS-B outside North America because DJI doesn't do ADS-B outside North America?
Which would be a particularly pointless tautology.

Or you still can't get the idea that ADSB is used all over the world?

2020-8-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-5 19:55
Are you saying that DJI doesn't do ADS-B outside North America because DJI doesn't do ADS-B outside North America?
Which would be a particularly pointless tautology.

Gee, thought it was pretty obvious at this point.

OP didn't login on to Boeing Forum and post a question under Products / Jets / 767 / Private / asking about why ADS-B was no longer working on his Jet-767 while flying it outside of U.S.

Doesn't seem like a "pointless tautology" when you have already admitted you didn't know why ADS-B was being disabled in menu system.   At least we all have now learned something, and OP got his question answered as to why safety feature was being intentionally disabled.
2020-8-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 8-6 05:35
Gee, thought it was pretty obvious at this point.

OP didn't login on to Boeing Forum and post a question under Products / Jets / 767 / Private / asking about why ADS-B was no longer working on his Jet-767 while flying it outside of U.S.

Doesn't seem like a "pointless tautology" when you have already admitted you didn't know why ADS-B was being disabled in menu system.   
??????????????????????????????????????????????????
I wonder if you speak a different language.
The words are English, but I can't make sense of what you say.
Yes.. I don't know why DJI had ADS-B working and now they don't.
DJI haven't told me why.
No-one knows why they did that and it makes no sense to most thinking people.

At least OP got his question answered as to why safety feature was being intentionally disabled.
Really?
The only "answer" I saw was:
       As of the moment only North America is available for the ADS-B version ( Airsense ) drone.

All that means is that DJI isn't making it available outside North America.
There's no explanation and the reason is still as much a mystery as it ever was.
So we're back to:
DJI doesn't do ADS-B outside North America because DJI doesn't do ADS-B outside North America
And that is a pointless tautology.

2020-8-6
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 8-4 12:47
See this site for drone collision statistics    https://aviation-safety.net/database/issue/drones.php#:~:text=%20%20%20%20date%20%20%20,with%20a%20drone.%20%206%20more%20rows%20

After the Gatwick fiasco of 2018 I take drone stats like this with a pinch of salt these days...
2020-8-6
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_pVzOCZcKi0X6 Posted at 8-4 01:11
https://flightaware.com/adsb/coverage
The reason I left this forum ages ago, was just this - bad information.

You are correct on both fronts. ADS-B is required in many countries. It is also required if your aircraft is an international flight that crosses or terminates in the US.

And yes you see so many people wanting to add their 2 bits on subjects that they do not understand or research.

The DJI excuse for not delivering to everyone (shortage of parts due to the pandemic) is just BS.

They delayed shipment of the Mavic Pro for 3 to 6 months due to supply demands.

2020-8-6
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

A J Posted at 8-4 02:03
It has also been available in Canada from the launch date mate (so all of North America) and is starting to be released in Europe now.

Please advise where in Europe it has being released?

And post reference.

Cheers

2020-8-6
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 8-6 07:59

And post reference.

Many threads on here of people who claim to have it in Europe and show references - do a search.

Cheers
2020-8-6
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 8-6 07:59

And post reference.

Here's one thread on the topic.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=218624
2020-8-6
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-6 05:52
Doesn't seem like a "pointless tautology" when you have already admitted you didn't know why ADS-B was being disabled in menu system.   
I wonder if you speak a different language.

Thought by what you posted, you understood (or derivied) the why.  At least when I read link you gave, it appears to give the why.

"ADS-B is a relatively new technology under development, which means that  today it's rarely used by Air Traffic Control (ATC)."

"Our estimations  show that roughly 70% of all commercial passenger aircraft (80% in  Europe, 60% in the US) are equipped with an ADS-B transponder."
(Surprised to see only 60% for U.S.)

"For  general aviation this number is probably below 20%.

"Flightradar24 relies on volunteers around the world for the majority of our coverage."

2020-8-6
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

A J Posted at 8-6 06:54
After the Gatwick fiasco of 2018 I take drone stats like this with a pinch of salt these days...

Reading one of Drone / Helicopter collisions, the write-up didn't say who was actually at fault, but it read like a case of to many aircraft in a small area (flight demos), VLOS in use, and possibly some Bravado by pilots.

Getting to the point, just because a Drone is involved, does not mean the Drone pilot was at fault.  Nor does it mean Hobby Drone pilot was involved.

Leading back to, there has been a whole lot of Media Hype when it comes to Drones and Aircraft.

Still feel, the couple who was wrongly accused, and arrested (or detained); should now be as Rich as Queen.  (No offense meant to Queen.)
2020-8-6
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 8-6 15:57
Reading one of Drone / Helicopter collisions, the write-up didn't say who was actually at fault, but it read like a case of to many aircraft in a small area (flight demos), VLOS in use, and possibly some Bravado by pilots.

Getting to the point, just because a Drone is involved, does not mean the Drone pilot was at fault.  Nor does it mean Hobby Drone pilot was involved.

Unfortunately that couple were forced to sell their home and live in hiding now. Imagine being unfairly blamed for stranding hundreds of thousands of people just because you owned a drone and lived near-by... Many now claim there was never a drone there in the first place. I hope they sued. The CAA has also made a nice wedge of cash out of the need for drone registrations that followed - £9 a year from a reported 80,000+ drone operators here and its growing! That’s the equivalent of nearly a million bucks a year!

I see far more drones around these days and I never get the little comments from passers-by like I used to. It’s slowly improving but a long way to go.  
2020-8-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 8-6 15:46
Thought by what you posted, you understood (or derivied) the why.  At least when I read link you gave, it appears to give the why.

"ADS-B is a relatively new technology under development, which means that  today it's rarely used by Air Traffic Control (ATC)."

First ..  that piece, you've quoted is obviously well out of date and was written years ago.
Think about it. (perhaps I'm too optimistic?)
    Our estimations show that roughly 60% of all US commercial passenger aircraft are equipped with an ADS-B transponder.
But under FAA rules It's been mandatory for commercial passenger aircraft since Jan 2020.

And .. that piece you've read doesn't show why DJI switched off the ADS-B ability for drones used outside North America.
And there's no logic that helps understand their reason.

2020-8-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

A J Posted at 8-6 16:07
Unfortunately that couple were forced to sell their home and live in hiding now. Imagine being unfairly blamed for stranding hundreds of thousands of people just because you owned a drone and lived near-by... Many now claim there was never a drone there in the first place. I hope they sued. The CAA has also made a nice wedge of cash out of the need for drone registrations that followed - £9 a year from a reported 80,000+ drone operators here and its growing! That’s the equivalent of nearly a million bucks a year!

I see far more drones around these days and I never get the little comments from passers-by like I used to. It’s slowly improving but a long way to go.

Recently they got an award from police, I also believe they are suing Airport and government.
£200,000.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-53041256
2020-8-7
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 8-7 10:21
Recently they got an award from police, I also believe they are suing Airport and government.
£200,000.

Good for them - I hope they rinse the hell out of them. The whole thing was one massive hoax.
2020-8-7
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

A J Posted at 8-6 08:11
Here's one thread on the topic.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=218624

No , no, no, He has bought the aircraft for a supplier that has shipped him a US version. Further down the thread he acknowledges he has US version. He bought this from a Grey seller.

Any ADS-B units that have found their way to Europe has been through Grey sellers not Authorised DJI resellers or DJI themselves.

I could also get a US version by buying through a US outlet.
2020-8-10
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 8-10 02:52
No , no, no, He has bought the aircraft for a supplier that has shipped him a US version. Further down the thread he acknowledges he has US version. He bought this from a Grey seller.

Any ADS-B units that have found their way to Europe has been through Grey sellers not Authorised DJI resellers or DJI themselves.

That was just one example
2020-8-10
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes, Yes, Yes - Here' s another one

https://forum.dji.com/thread-218234-1-1.html
2020-8-10
Use props