Maintenance and good practices for the batteries ??
1401 15 2020-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
S.T.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1392575 ft
Greece

I usually land with the battery at 10 - 15% of capacity.
I wait long enough for them to cool down and then proceed to recharge them, using the battery charging hub.

Question 1:
If I do not plan to fly for the next 10-15 days, do I have to fully recharge the batteries or wait until the day before the flight to charge them?

Question 2:
I have known for a long time that the best practice for the batteries is to recharge them immediately.
In this case, after a period of 6-7 days, the batteries are in hibernation mode.
If someone is planning a flight after 10-15 days, after activating the batteries from hibernation, do you have to recharge them or throw them with reduced capacity (50%) to make a  discharge?

2020-8-4
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Heres another one for you

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... y_Guidelines_eu.pdf
2020-8-4
Use props
S.T.
lvl.3
Greece

A J Posted at 8-4 04:47
Heres another one for you

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Air_2/Mavic_Air_2_In_the_Box_Disclaimer_and_Safety_Guidelines_eu.pdf

Unreadable again

The battery will discharge to 60% automatically if not used four days or more for extending the battery life. Check the battery
level and charge the battery before using it again.

This answers the 2nd question, for the 1st question I did not find anything.

2020-8-4
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

S.T. Posted at 8-4 05:07
Unreadable again

The battery will discharge to 60% automatically if not used four days or more for extending the battery life. Check the battery

For the first question the batteries will discharge to 60% after four days - ideally you should recharge the batteries to 50% after they have cooled down (third LED begins blinking then switch off the charger). Then fully recharge them within 24 hours of when you intend to fly again. It is not healthy for the batteries to be stored on 100% which is why they will auto discharge to 96% after 24 hours of the charge.

Some people fly the battery down to 40% then simply store them straight away without having to touch a charger until then intend to fly again. By far the easiest way of maintaining them but at the sacrifice of several minutes flying time per battery.
2020-8-4
Use props
S.T.
lvl.3
Greece

A J Posted at 8-4 05:23
For the first question the batteries will discharge to 60% after four days - ideally you should recharge the batteries to 50% after they have cooled down (third LED begins blinking then switch off the charger). Then fully recharge them within 24 hours of when you intend to fly again. It is not healthy for the batteries to be stored on 100% which is why they will auto discharge to 96% after 24 hours of the charge.

Some people fly the battery down to 40% then simply store them straight away without having to touch a charger until then intend to fly again. By far the easiest way of maintaining them but at the sacrifice of several minutes flying time per battery.

This is the point at which there are different views.
Some claim that the technology of these batteries requires their almost complete discharge (10% and below ...) and then their complete recharge and in fact in a short time.
The idea of charging it up to 50% and after Hibernation mode, charging it up to 100% does not seem to be appropriate, because it probably reduces the life and fullness to 100% of the battery.
This extends their lifespan, as a small amount of power is always lost for each charge cycle. (as the battery ages, its full charge will not be at 100% but at 98% etc).
Also this type of smart batteries have ... memory, so a full discharge and recharging is required ...
I'm not sure if all this is correct.
2020-8-4
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

S.T. Posted at 8-4 05:41
This is the point at which there are different views.
Some claim that the technology of these batteries requires their almost complete discharge (10% and below ...) and then their complete recharge and in fact in a short time.
This extends their lifespan, as a small amount of power is always lost for each charge cycle. (as the battery ages, its full charge will not be at 100% but at 98% etc).

Not required at all. DJI use to advise that back in the days of the Inspire 1 but do not recommend it anymore. It is also not at all healthy to completely deplete a battery and serves no purpose to extending their life span. I've owned around 40 batteries across 12 DJI drones and never had a swollen or defective battery after initial use and I've never deep discharged any of them whilst enjoying similar flight times to what I had on the maiden flight.
2020-8-4
Use props
Cauffy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36752 ft
United Kingdom

listen to AJ he knows...

Don't discharge your battery's to a level that could damage the cells, these are lipo battery's and discharging them to 10% could shorten there life considerably. I to have had many drones and always land with at least 20% left in the battery and if im not going to use them for a few days i charge them to 50% and take them off the charger and store them safely. either the morning or the night before im due to fly i charge them back up to 100%. And then repeat this process as i see fit.

Never suffered a swollen battery im  spark, mavic pro, manvic mini and now MA2.

2020-8-4
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Cauffy Posted at 8-4 06:53
listen to AJ he knows...

Don't discharge your battery's to a level that could damage the cells, these are lipo battery's and discharging them to 10% could shorten there life considerably. I to have had many drones and always land with at least 20% left in the battery and if im not going to use them for a few days i charge them to 50% and take them off the charger and store them safely. either the morning or the night before im due to fly i charge them back up to 100%. And then repeat this process as i see fit.

Very good practice! Cheers
2020-8-4
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Cauffy Posted at 8-4 06:53
listen to AJ he knows...

these are lipo battery's and discharging them to 10% could shorten there life considerably

Actually there's no evidence that "discharging to 10% could shorten life considerably", cell voltage level is important and it looks like safety cut-off is set on a safe side. There shouldn't be much difference in landing at 30%, 20% or 10%, just avoid forced (low voltage) landing and do not override it with stick input for long time. And of course do not store batteries discharged, watch the temperatures ect.

BTW I see the YX multi charge hub on internet, that should have full charging mode and storage charging mode, that I was suggesting to DJI as a best option for battery maintenance.
2020-8-4
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

Running the battery all the way would make the battery too hot.  Therefore creating a higher probability of overheating and  damaging the battery.
2020-8-4
Use props
S.T.
lvl.3
Greece

listen to AJ he knows...

Sure he Knows.

I now follow the method he suggests.

But I would also like a clear opinion from DJI ...

2020-8-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there S.T. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared with us. The DJI Mavic Air 2 intelligent flight battery has an Auto-Discharging function to prevent the battery for swelling, the battery automatically discharges to 96% of the battery level when it is idle for one day and automatically discharges to 60% of the battery level when it is idle for 5 days. It is normal to feel moderate heat being emitted from the battery during the discharging process. For reference I will post a list of the intelligent flight battery safety guidelines. In addition, it would be best for you to store your DJI Mavic Air 2 Intelligent Flight Batteries on a DJI Battery Safe Bag ( https://store.dji.com/product/dj ... ion=1&vid=31301 ). The DJI Battery Safe Bag offers reliable storage, and transportation for batteries. It can effectively mitigate damage from combustion, reducing the possibility of igniting surrounding objects. For reference I will post a link where in you can check the specifications of the said Safe Bag. Thank you.

2020-8-4
Use props
S.T.
lvl.3
Greece

Thank you Stephen , But My questions remain.
How should the batteries be recharged after each flight?
a. Do I need a full charge? (regardless of whether they will be used immediately)
b. In case the next flight will take place after 10-15 days, what is the recommendation, to be charged up to 50-60% and full charge one day before the flight, or full charge and then recharge one day before flight?
2020-8-8
Use props
S.T.
lvl.3
Greece

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-8 14:13
Once the batteries have cooled, charge them FULLY.  If you don't fly for a bit, DJI Li-Po packs will auto-discharge down to the proper storage level for you.  Check the level before flying & recharge them if necessary.

The Lithium-ion packs used in the Mavic Mini won't be harmed by being stored charged, just top them off before flying if they have been sitting for a while.

I believe the same. (Once the batteries have cooled, charge them FULLY)
But some friends here disagree.
I am waiting for dji's suggestion on this subject
2020-8-10
Use props
S.T.
lvl.3
Greece

S.T. Posted at 8-8 09:19
Thank you Stephen , But My questions remain.
How should the batteries be recharged after each flight?
a. Do I need a full charge? (regardless of whether they will be used immediately)

Still no answer from Stephen....
2020-9-1
Use props
LeeBros
New
Flight distance : 945075 ft
United States

S.T. Posted at 2020-9-1 12:55
Still no answer from Stephen....

realize a lithium ion battery will give full power all the way until it shuts off  thats the cool thing about  that like old drills would slow down as battery gets depleted  the ion battery has a circuit board it them and they shut off before the battery goes completly dead the way i understand if it goes complrtly dead its dead for good but they put out same power at 100%  all the way until its shut off by the batterys circuit board somewhere around 4% charge to us thats 0% charge my drone will run at full power untill it hits 0% on the controller and it shuts off like a light switch that also makes me wonder why my air2 does forced landings with 10% battery left that i cant seem to cancel I actully crashed into a clock tower trying to have it land on the roof of a building I had no access to it all got crazy real fast tought me to calm the hell down and I may have saved it i dont know but some quick thinking and staying calm would have saved it im sure I will be better prepared next time
2021-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules