Aircraft orientation Display, why is it gone if little map ....
6759 23 2020-8-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Aircraft orientation Display,why is it gone in case the  little map  is open? I would really have BOTH on the display.
Don't see a reason that the "radar view", position of the bird seen from the device, needs to be switched off at all.
Even in case I have "full map view" it would be nice to know where exactly  I have to look after watching the display.
Helps a lot, sometimes !

Also:
Every now and then I forget to switch on the GPS on my phone before I start Fly App and Air 2
Then there is for at least a long time of the flight the red icon (no device-Location?)  to see.
22599.jpg
22598.jpg
Sometimes it updates, it seems, so in the last 5-10 minutes there is a chance, but sometimes there is all the flight just the red icon .

Can that be changed?

2020-8-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this concern. When encountering the red aircraft orientation icon, it means the mobile device’s GPS is poor and the DJI Fly application cannot calculate the relative position of the aircraft and mobile device. Thank you.

2020-8-6
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

The Aircraft Orientation Display is used to determine where your drone is relative to the RC and what direction it's pointing.  You basically get the same information on the Map.  I think DJI decided to show only one of the displays...maybe is was to reduce the IMU workload....maybe it was harder to superimpose the AOD on top of the Map. I don't really know.  I can't help you on the issue of why it takes so long to get the red alert to resolve.  It might be a mobile device issue more than a drone issue.
2020-8-6
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

DJI Paladin Posted at 8-6 08:15
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum. With regards to this concern. When encountering the red aircraft orientation icon, it means the mobile device’s GPS is poor and the DJI Fly application cannot calculate the relative position of the aircraft and mobile device. Thank you.

Thank you, Paladin, but it is NOT a poor Phone GPS connection!
This function works very well, in case the GPS is "ON" at DJI-Fly start
But the App is not connecting to the phones GPS, in case I  start the GPS AFTER the bird is in the Air

And to the second point (which usually is the topics point)

Why isn't it possible, to have the mini map in the corner AND the Aircraft Orientation Display in the middle?
I would even think, in full map view it would be good to have the AOD.
It helps a lot, sometimes, to keep the orientation from remote to bird in order
2020-8-6
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-6 10:49
If your device's GPS is turned off you are going to get the all-red Aircraft Orientation Display.   It needs both the aircradt & device GPS data to properly function.

As to why you get the map -OR- AOD, it appears DJI decided in Fly it's one or the other.  DJI Go/Go4 depends on display size.  On small displays like a phone, you get either the map or radar view.  Larger displays show both radar & map at the same time.

Thanks, just why isn't the App changing the status, after switching on GPS?
It works really good, as long the phones GPS is "on", on App start.
But it does not connect to the phones GPS, in case this GPS is started AFTER the App or with the bird already in the air!

And the difference to the Go4 is that there BOTH are in the same position, corner.
(Android)
But with the change from having a map icon  on the left, plus the AOD in the middle, I really don't see any reason, why  the AOD can't stay O"on" at all times.
Aside that the little corner map is imho not really helpful .
2020-8-6
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Rustic17 Posted at 8-6 11:28
The Aircraft Orientation Display is used to determine where your drone is relative to the RC and what direction it's pointing.  You basically get the same information on the Map.  I think DJI decided to show only one of the displays...maybe is was to reduce the IMU workload....maybe it was harder to superimpose the AOD on top of the Map. I don't really know.  I can't help you on the issue of why it takes so long to get the red alert to resolve.  It might be a mobile device issue more than a drone issue.[view_image]

"basically the same info on the map", in case you go on map view, ok.
But the mini map in the corner?
Flying over water ? 22685.jpg
or a golf course? ;-)
22683.jpg

I just think it is a great instrument to get the eyes back on the bird after watching the display for a little while (Pano e.g. ;-), and should be on, even in full display map view

22686.jpg

2020-8-6
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 8-6 17:45
"basically the same info on the map", in case you go on map view, ok.
But the mini map in the corner?
Flying over water ?[view_image]

I agree...I was just trying to reason why DJI did it the way they did.
2020-8-6
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

And at least on my android device it looks like there still would be enough space for  the height/distance, between mini map and "radar" (AOD)
2020-8-6
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 8-6 18:10
And at least on my android device it looks like there still would be enough space for  the height/distance, between mini map and "radar" (AOD)
I think you need to zoom your map out a bit.  This is my map and I can easily have situational awareness without the AOD.
4796DF39-086E-4A0E-824C-66EC4A2A194F.png
2020-8-6
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

2020-8-6
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

That is right, in full map view you have "basically the same info on the map"
(It is still not "dummyproof", like "point your remote to the arrow in front of the dot" from the radar view. In your picture, you are pointing to the right of your bird! ;-)
But in case you have just the mini map in the corner you are left in the middle of "the full picture"

I have no idea if that would cost a lot of phone performance, to show this info all the time.
But since it is calculated anyway, I would not assume that it is!
Only one more way to display
2020-8-6
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

What am I doing with your answer?

-Pointless- or -good points-?

2020-8-6
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 8-6 18:55
That is right, in full map view you have "basically the same info on the map"
(It is still not "dummyproof", like "point your remote to the arrow in front of the dot" from the radar view. In your picture, you are pointing to the right of your bird! ;-)
But in case you have just the mini map in the corner you are left in the middle of "the full picture"

I still agree with you it'd be nice to have both.
2020-8-6
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 8-6 18:58
What am I doing with your answer?

-Pointless- or -good points-?

I removed my answer because it was probably invalid. Thanks for reading anyway ;-)
2020-8-6
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-6 19:17
I can only surmise Fly only checks the GPS status when the app is first launched, when you enter the camera view, or when a flight is initiated?  An interesting test would be start the GPS, run the app, then turn off the GPS after the drone is in flight.  Does the AOD still show data or does it switch to unavailable?  That would narrow down when it reads the GPS status.

My GPS is always on/available to any app that requests GPS service.  I assume you have Location Services disabled?  

I think you are right. It's conversely like the way that the DFly app never checks the position of the mode switch for the Ma2 at startup but instead just assumes N mode. Only after you switch it to a different positon is anything changed.
2020-8-6
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-6 19:17
I can only surmise Fly checks the GPS status when the app is first launched, when you enter the camera view, or when a flight is initiated?  An interesting test would be start the GPS, run the app, then turn off the GPS after the drone is in flight.  Does the AOD still show data or does it switch to unavailable?  That would narrow down when it reads the GPS status.

My GPS is always on/available to any app that requests GPS service.  I assume you have Location Services disabled?  

Yes, My GPS is only "on",  in case I wanna use it.
And you have an interesting idea: is the app just working with the devices position from starting the app and not checking on it permanently ?
What happens to the Aircraft orientation display in case the pilot moves away from the position?
I can't really imagine that the fly app is not updating the GPS position of the device/pilot during flight.
That is actually why I am wondering about that  the AOD is not coming on quickly after starting GPS.

But I think, a not updating  position during a flight would even worry me more.
I think I have to check on that.
Thanks for the idea
2020-8-9
Use props
chirag_singhi
New

India

Hi, I am a Mavic Air 2 user from India.. recently while recording footage on my drone I am unable to see the aircraft orientation display in the camera view. I have updated the latest aircraft firmware, RC firmware, calibrated the compass and the IMU and did some basic troubleshooting. Still the issue persists. Attached here is my Camera view screen, the aircraft orientation has just disappeared.
2021-1-16
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

chirag_singhi Posted at 1-16 22:18
[view_image]

Hi, I am a Mavic Air 2 user from India.. recently while recording footage on my drone I am unable to see the aircraft orientation display in the camera view. I have updated the latest aircraft firmware, RC firmware, calibrated the compass and the IMU and did some basic troubleshooting. Still the issue persists. Attached here is my Camera view screen, the aircraft orientation has just disappeared.

Is that outside the same?
Right now you just dont have GPS for the Air2, "switched to Altitude mode"
Is your device having a GPS position indoors?
2021-1-18
Use props
djiuser_N2Wvkx2Ok0jQ
lvl.1

Brazil

Estava acontecendo comigo no iphone 11. Mudei o aparelho para o galaxy note 20 e o problema foi resolvido. Acho que é um bug no app da apple
2021-2-21
Use props
McCaff
lvl.1
Flight distance : 102759 ft
Ireland

chirag_singhi Posted at 1-16 22:18
[view_image]

Hi, I am a Mavic Air 2 user from India.. recently while recording footage on my drone I am unable to see the aircraft orientation display in the camera view. I have updated the latest aircraft firmware, RC firmware, calibrated the compass and the IMU and did some basic troubleshooting. Still the issue persists. Attached here is my Camera view screen, the aircraft orientation has just disappeared.

Hi, I am  a Mavic Air 2 user from Ireland and I am new to the forum.  I too have updated my RC firmware and since doing so my aircraft orientation display has disappeared off the screen.  I have changed nothing else.  I use the iPhone 12 and I have location services turned on.  I have tried everything I can think of, including suggestions from this forum but I cannot get the aircraft orientation display back.  Could this be a firmware issue??
2021-2-23
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

McCaff Posted at 2-23 08:52
Hi, I am  a Mavic Air 2 user from Ireland and I am new to the forum.  I too have updated my RC firmware and since doing so my aircraft orientation display has disappeared off the screen.  I have changed nothing else.  I use the iPhone 12 and I have location services turned on.  I have tried everything I can think of, including suggestions from this forum but I cannot get the aircraft orientation display back.  Could this be a firmware issue??

hi,

Wich FlyApp version do you use?

In the 1.2.2 and higher the radar display has been changed.
It is not like the Position as in post #7.
Left bottom chart display, click on bottom right icon

cheers
JJB
2021-2-23
Use props
McCaff
lvl.1
Ireland

JJB* Posted at 2-23 11:55
hi,

Hi JJB

Now makes sense :-)  Thank you so much for your help.

Best Regards

McCaff
2021-2-24
Use props
McCaff
lvl.1
Ireland

JJB* Posted at 2-23 11:55
hi,

Hello again

I just wanted to thank you once again for taking the time to answer my query.  I can't believe I missed something so simple but I did and it was wrecking my head :-)  I am getting so much more enjoyment from flying now!  So thanks again

McCaff
2021-2-28
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

McCaff Posted at 2-28 03:53
Hello again

I just wanted to thank you once again for taking the time to answer my query.  I can't believe I missed something so simple but I did and it was wrecking my head :-)  I am getting so much more enjoyment from flying now!  So thanks again

Hi McCaff,

My pleasure to help, see this vid > https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=236663

Many happy landings,
cheers
JJB
2021-2-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules