Latest fly app now has something missing !
993 18 2020-8-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
paul.tuffntlworld.com
lvl.3
Flight distance : 359478 ft
United Kingdom

Ok so update the latest go fly app on ipad today and i noticed that the air sense setting has been removed why is this  ??
2020-8-5
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

Yes, DJI removed AirSense for Mavic Air 2's equipped with an ADS-B receiver when they are operated outside North America. They haven't provided a statement as to why they did this or whether this is a temporary change. Quite frankly, it makes no sense to disable a safety feature.
2020-8-5
Use props
paul.tuffntlworld.com
lvl.3
United Kingdom

MisterFrag Posted at 8-5 15:03
Yes, DJI removed AirSense for Mavic Air 2's equipped with an ADS-B receiver when they are operated outside North America. They haven't provided a statement as to why they did this or whether this is a temporary change. Quite frankly, it makes no sense to disable a safety feature.

craziness !!!
2020-8-5
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 8-5 15:03

who knows for what reason; all I can think of is you are not allowed to use it or it doesn't work correctly or there are legal/liability issues.  those are three possible reasons I think about off the top of my head.
2020-8-5
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

The Saint Posted at 8-5 15:39
who knows for what reason; all I can think of is you are not allowed to use it or it doesn't work correctly or there are legal/liability issues.  those are three possible reasons I think about off the top of my head.

I’m sure the reason is regulatory (like it wasn’t certified with ADS-B in those regions), but DJI has offered no explanation whatsoever.

I think a little transparency would help restore faith and good will for those who had access to AirSense before, especially if they went to the trouble and expense of obtaining a ADS-B equipped Mavic Air 2 in a region where they aren’t normally sold.
2020-8-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I can see no reason for this except they sent some ADS-B drones to the EU and then replaced some under warranty without ADS-B.
2020-8-6
Use props
paul.tuffntlworld.com
lvl.3
United Kingdom

it looks as though they are all getting sold here now with the chip if the model 3W assumption is correct.
unfortunate that the DJI online chat wont tell you anything it really is a waste of time asking ,its like they are programmed not to divulge anything they keep repeating stuff about dont believe what you read on 3rd party websites ect , bit of joke really like you said why can they not tell us what is going on ???
2020-8-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry fro the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. As of the moment only North America is available for the ADS-B version ( Airsense ) drone. For more information regarding the DJI AirSense kindly please visit our official DJI FlySafe AirSense website. Thank you.
2020-8-6
Use props
paul.tuffntlworld.com
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 8-6 07:38
Hi. I am sorry fro the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. As of the moment only North America is available for the ADS-B version ( Airsense ) drone. For more information regarding the DJI AirSense kindly please visit our official DJI FlySafe AirSense website. Thank you.

Hi thanks but this does not answer any questions really does it ?
have the drones now sold in the UK with the model 3W got the chip in as it has been reported ?and why has DJI removed the toggle switch on the app ?
2020-8-6
Use props
Lops
lvl.3
Flight distance : 747772 ft
  • >>>
Germany

paul.tuffntlworld.com Posted at 8-6 23:01
Hi thanks but this does not answer any questions really does it ?
have the drones now sold in the UK with the model 3W got the chip in as it has been reported ?and why has DJI removed the toggle switch on the app ?

I can only guess, but i can imagine that the authorities have s..t in the pants because airsense could be turned by some bad guys into something that drives your drone not away from an airplane but directly into...8(....
A software hack for example. And to built reliable software mechanisms to avoid that is generally impossible. Airsense is a nice idea but has this serious weakness.
2020-8-8
Use props
paul.tuffntlworld.com
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Lops Posted at 8-8 09:34
I can only guess, but i can imagine that the authorities have s..t in the pants because airsense could be turned by some bad guys into something that drives your drone not away from an airplane but directly into...8(....
A software hack for example. And to built reliable software mechanisms to avoid that is generally impossible. Airsense is a nice idea but has this serious weakness.

in the latest fly app have you still got the ability to disable it  ?
in the uk i did have it but its gone.
2020-8-8
Use props
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1404308 ft
Norway

Lops Posted at 8-8 09:34
I can only guess, but i can imagine that the authorities have s..t in the pants because airsense could be turned by some bad guys into something that drives your drone not away from an airplane but directly into...8(....

Dude, I don't think you quite understand what this technology is.

As far as I understand it, it is basically a receiver that detects nearby aircraft with transmitters that send on a specific frequency. It's not that much different from an old FM radio tuned to a specific channel, albeit this is of course digital. If some signal is received it will warn you if an aircraft is close. If there was a hacking risk, wouldn't aircraft that have both transmitters and receivers with this tech be at much more risk? ;)
2020-8-8
Use props
Lops
lvl.3
Flight distance : 747772 ft
  • >>>
Germany

M4cr0s Posted at 8-8 10:14
Dude, I don't think you quite understand what this technology is.

As far as I understand it, it is basically a receiver that detects nearby aircraft with transmitters that send on a specific frequency. It's not that much different from an old FM radio tuned to a specific channel, albeit this is of course digital. If some signal is received it will warn you if an aircraft is close. If there was a hacking risk, wouldn't aircraft that have both transmitters and receivers with this tech be at much more risk? ;)

I do understand the technology. But imagine there is an airsense warning about an aircraft having a speed, position and direction and the operator would decide not to fly away but to approach the incoming aircraft , what then?  The receiver built into the drone is getting all necessary information. That means airsense is a system relating the drone to another aircraft with respect to position and movement. That is already enough to pose a security risk. For this a  transmitter is not needed at all. In the worst case a software hack would enable the system to approach a certain target autonomously. From that point of view I do wonder why airsense is allowed in usa...
2020-8-8
Use props
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Norway

Lops Posted at 8-8 11:07
I do understand the technology. But imagine there is an airsense warning about an aircraft having a speed, position and direction and the operator would decide not to fly away but to approach the incoming aircraft , what then?  The receiver built into the drone is getting all necessary information. That means airsense is a system relating the drone to another aircraft with respect to position and movement. That is already enough to pose a security risk. For this a  transmitter is not needed at all. In the worst case a software hack would enable the system to approach a certain target autonomously. From that point of view I do wonder why airsense is allowed in usa...

Ah, now I see how you're thinking. There is a big leap to go from taking control of another device to providing false information

I think it gives concern that aircraft can be "spoofed", i.e. false signals about aircraft in the airspace causing disruption of traffic and so forth.  Say if someone set up transmitters and filled the airspace around an airport with no-existing planes. Since there is no encryption or real verification this probably possible.
2020-8-8
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Okay, so this theory leads me to wonder, is the ADS-B communication encrypted or not?  
2020-8-8
Use props
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Norway

Northwood Posted at 8-8 20:40
Okay, so this theory leads me to wonder, is the ADS-B communication encrypted or not?

No its not. No encryption or verification. As I understand it, is pretty much like me going up on a bench on the town square, yelling that I am Der Kaiser of the World. It kind of put all the fussing over ADS-B in this forum in a different light.
2020-8-8
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

M4cr0s Posted at 8-8 23:29
No its not. No encryption or verification. As I understand it, is pretty much like me going up on a bench on the town square, yelling that I am Der Kaiser of the World. It kind of put all the fussing over ADS-B in this forum in a different light.

LOL, well,  if you are going to test your analogy, please video that for the rest of us!
2020-8-9
Use props
M4cr0s
lvl.4
Norway

Northwood Posted at 8-9 14:01
LOL, well,  if you are going to test your analogy, please video that for the rest of us!

Of course, I'll "hang up" the MA2 filming and put on a pike helmet too
2020-8-10
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

M4cr0s Posted at 8-10 02:53
Of course, I'll "hang up" the MA2 filming and put on a pike helmet too

LOL...  looking forward to that, now you can zoom in too!
2020-8-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules