Unsafe landing area preventing landing problem
2324 17 2020-8-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans9d8f6b0f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 466516 ft
United States

My MA2 refused to land on the pad from which it departed from, announcing in screen that it wasn't a safe place to land.

Dear DJI, this may be why other owners are asking for a quick fast way to turn off the bottom sensors.

Yes, I read DJI manuals that mention possible difficulties with these down peering sensors working above highly reflective surfaces such as water.

That's why I was surprised when it wouldn't land on a black pad with orange t shapes

2020-8-5
Use props
fans9d8f6b0f
lvl.2
United States

My MA2 refused to land on the pad from which it departed from, announcing in screen that it wasn't a safe place to land.

Dear DJI, this may be why other owners are asking for a quick fast way to turn off the bottom sensors.

Yes, I read DJI manuals that mention possible difficulties with these down peering sensors working above highly reflective surfaces such as water.

That's why I was surprised when it wouldn't land on a black pad with orange T shape.

My Spark likes this landing pad
20200821_162231.jpg
2020-8-5
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Was it refusing to land and if so how did you get it down? I get that message seldom but can always land manually.
2020-8-5
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Maybe there was some things on the ground which the drone did not like
2020-8-5
Use props
Northwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Did the lighting change /shadow/glare, etc?
2020-8-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Flying the said DJI drone on an area where the lighting changes frequently or drastically and flying over extremely dark ( < 10 lux ) or bright ( > 40,000 lux ) surfaces can affect the vision system of the said drone. Kindly please check the following before each flight : ( Make sure there is no sticker or any obstructions over the Infrared Sensing and Vision System. If there is any dirt, dust or water on the Infrared Sensing and Vision System, please clean it with soft cloth. Do not use any cleanser that contains alcohol. ) Thank you.
2020-8-5
Use props
fans9d8f6b0f
lvl.2
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 8-5 19:23
Was it refusing to land and if so how did you get it down? I get that message seldom but can always land manually.

I merely flew to another place nearby and landed.
2020-8-21
Use props
fans9d8f6b0f
lvl.2
United States

Northwood Posted at 8-5 20:07
Did the lighting change /shadow/glare, etc?

Thank you for the suggestions.

Lighting was flat since the sun was behind trees at the time.
2020-8-21
Use props
fans9d8f6b0f
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-5 20:59
Hello there. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Flying the said DJI drone on an area where the lighting changes frequently or drastically and flying over extremely dark ( < 10 lux ) or bright ( > 40,000 lux ) surfaces can affect the vision system of the said drone. Kindly please check the following before each flight : ( Make sure there is no sticker or any obstructions over the Infrared Sensing and Vision System. If there is any dirt, dust or water on the Infrared Sensing and Vision System, please clean it with soft cloth. Do not use any cleanser that contains alcohol. ) Thank you.
Thank you. I just installed a light meter app and even in full sun my pad measured only a few thousand lux.

It's the top from a tote box I use to transport my drone stuff, with the duct tape T.

My Spark hasn't issues with this
20200821_162231.jpg
2020-8-21
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Just land manually, nothing is forcing you to use auto-land.
2020-8-21
Use props
Sneezy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 63376 ft
United States

My MA2 has complained occasionally about its landing spot (typically macadam or sidewalk, sometimes with some dirt, etc., scattered about), but I just move it a few feet horizontally, and land manually.  Auto-land misbehaves maybe 1 landing out of 10, so I typically land manually these days.  I wonder if that's unusual, or if others see similar behavior.
2020-8-21
Use props
fans9d8f6b0f
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 8-21 14:16
Just land manually, nothing is forcing you to use auto-land.

Umm, yeah, of course, it forced me to go elsewhere and land, manually.

The point of my post is to investigate if others have observed this behavior, if there's perhaps some setting needs be adjusted to fix this, and maybe even alert DJI to yet another possible software/firmware update fix.

Think it through b4 responding, k?
2020-8-21
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

fans9d8f6b0f Posted at 8-21 20:25

The point of my post is to investigate if others have observed this behavior, if there's perhaps some setting needs be adjusted to fix this, and maybe even alert DJI to yet another possible software/firmware update fix.

This was another post similar to yours and the discussion that followed:   https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=220906
2020-8-21
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

"Think it through b4 responding, k?"

Yeah, I did, which is why you got the response you got.
2020-8-21
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha fans9d8,

Aside from Geebax's very appropriate response, you might try using masking tape to tape paper towel to the bottom right and bottom left corners of your container lid (but in such a way that it does not blow up and in the way).  Your Mavic Air 2 is a Porsche compared to your Spark (a Fiat).  Big difference!

This exercise will show you the effect of shade and color (or lack of it) on your bird's sensors and which bird has the most sensitive sensors.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-8-22
Use props
fans9d8f6b0f
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean Posted at 8-22 02:11
Aloha fans9d8,

Aside from Geebax's very appropriate response, you might try using masking tape to tape paper towel to the bottom right and bottom left corners of your container lid (but in such a way that it does not blow up and in the way).  Your Mavic Air 2 is a Porsche compared to your Spark (a Fiat).  Big difference!

Thank you! The orange T was always good enough for Spark. I'll try your additional contrast idea.
2020-8-22
Use props
fans9d8f6b0f
lvl.2
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 8-21 21:23
This was another post similar to yours and the discussion that followed:   https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=220906

That was a helpful read, thanks!
2020-8-22
Use props
George210477
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

DO NOT use reflective tape...just use some soft materials like cotton instead...will work.Reflective surfaces will screw camera and IR sensors inducing false idea that is water under it.
2020-8-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules