My Battery Plan of Action
750 8 2020-8-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Someone tell me if my battery plan of action is faulty and how it can be improved...I'm open to suggestions.  I have six batteries with my Spark and I have used each one equally over 800 flights.  Now, I have six batteries that are over 4 years old and been discharged and recharged over and over.  With my MA2, I have the three that came with the combo.  I labelled them 1, 2, and 3.  I decided to make 1 my primary, go to, first to fly battery which is about all I need for most days.  I fly around the neighborhood, take pictures of sunsets and rainshowers/rainbows, and then I'm done.  If needed, I use battery 2 as a backup.  I seldom use battery 3 but I make sure it is used at least once a month...it's used more often when on vacation.  My rationale is that after two to three years, I'll have battery 3 still almost like new, battery 2 somewhat used, and battery 1 heavily used but still probably providing at least 20 minutes of flight if not more.  At the point I see a marked drop in performance in 1, I can make 2 my primary, three the backup and 1 my last resort.  What do you all think???
2020-8-6
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sounds like a good plan. I bought a 4th battery for my MA2 and pair them - they have 17 recharge cycles each now. That way they will be evenly used over my time with the drone and will technically double the lifespan of each though I occasionally fly all four in succession in one outing. That's the joy of having options and obviously dependant on time as thats around 1.75 hours of flight time without touching a charger and nearer two hours in near windless conditions with limited use of sport mode. TBH long term degradation of the batteries will be someone else's problem in my case as I never keep the same drone for more than a year though I may make an exception with the MA2 - it's that good!
2020-8-6
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

A J Posted at 8-6 12:41
Sounds like a good plan. I bought a 4th battery for my MA2 and pair them - they have 17 recharge cycles each now. That way they will be evenly used over my time with the drone and will technically double the lifespan of each though I occasionally fly all four in succession in one outing. That's the joy of having options and obviously dependant on time as thats around 1.75 hours of flight time without touching a charger and nearer two hours in near windless conditions with limited use of sport mode. TBH long term degradation of the batteries will be someone else's problem in my case as I never keep the same drone for more than a year though I may make an exception with the MA2 - it's that good!

Yeah...if I changed drones as often as you do, I'd probably mimic your plan.  I got the MA2 four years after my Spark which was three years after my P3S so I don't change drones that often.  I worked that Spark a lot...my daughter was in Germany for three years so my wife and I made 6 trips to Europe...six weeks per trip.  I got over 11 country flags on the Spark and some amazing footage. I'm really happy with the MA2...big step up from the Spark...and I can see me at my 72 years flying this one for a long time.  It really meets all my needs for now and the foreseeable future.  
2020-8-6
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-6 13:21
Personally i would use them sequentially & try to keep their cycle count roughly equal.  Even if you never use a battery, age eventually catches up.  I'm not sure attempting to save a battery for years will help much.  You still need to fully charge it monthly else it may die from low voltage.

Yeah...I hear you.  It was very enlightening, though, to hear Spark pilots say they were buying batteries directly from DJI in 2019 and the battery manufacture date was 3 years earlier.  A lot of questions were asked at that point and the general consensus was the batteries would be fine...even if 3 years old.  I don't know how age affects these batteries.
2020-8-6
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 8-6 13:18
Yeah...if I changed drones as often as you do, I'd probably mimic your plan.  I got the MA2 four years after my Spark which was three years after my P3S so I don't change drones that often.  I worked that Spark a lot...my daughter was in Germany for three years so my wife and I made 6 trips to Europe...six weeks per trip.  I got over 11 country flags on the Spark and some amazing footage. I'm really happy with the MA2...big step up from the Spark...and I can see me at my 72 years flying this one for a long time.  It really meets all my needs for now and the foreseeable future.

Good for you.
2020-8-6
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Rustic17 Posted at 8-6 13:35
Yeah...I hear you.  It was very enlightening, though, to hear Spark pilots say they were buying batteries directly from DJI in 2019 and the battery manufacture date was 3 years earlier.  A lot of questions were asked at that point and the general consensus was the batteries would be fine...even if 3 years old.  I don't know how age affects these batteries.

But this is for hibernated (not activated) battery, otherwise I believe it is better to use all of them sequentially like DB sais... I plan to use my MA2 longer than just one year and I hope that batteries will keep the good shape with proper maintenance.
2020-8-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for creating this informative post. These information will be a great help to our valued DJI co pilots on battery management. For more information and guidelines for the DJI Mavic Air 2 Battery, kindly please visit this link. Thank you for your valued support.
2020-8-7
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Your technique has some good points, but shelf-live might become an issue after several years.
2020-8-7
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-6 13:21
Personally i would use them sequentially & try to keep their cycle count roughly equal.  Even if you never use a battery, age eventually catches up.  I'm not sure attempting to save a battery for years will help much.  You still need to fully charge it monthly else it may die from low voltage.

I agree with your technique, li-Ion batteries (as all batteries) have definitely a limited shelf-life.
2020-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules