Fly App 1.1.6 yaw smoothness glitch update!
941 14 2020-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jcmarceau
lvl.2
Flight distance : 480623 ft
Canada

Hello this is an update to the yaw smoothness not working.... I did few test with Android and IOS phones and when APAS is switch to on position you cannot change the yaw smoothness even is you play with the slider in the app. When you switch APAS off then you are able to vary the yaw smoothness in normal mode  ....sport and tripod mode are not affected they work even if APAS is on or off. I find this bizarre that you can't change the yaw smoothness when APAS IS ON with normal mode ..... Don't you?
2020-8-7
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Yep....and I found that in normal mode, yaw smoothness works when in Pano mode.
2020-8-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

well, mayby it does make sense...

In Normal mode with APAS on craft will act on obstacles, knowing that the correcting speed is related to the distance out to the obstacle.

Guess that yaw smoothness by default in incorporated in the corrective action, so changing this value will have (negative) effect on APAS.

So it was too much work to write this into the code.....APAS ON = default yaw smoothness = cannot be changed.

cheers
JJB
2020-8-7
Use props
a.yd.w.
lvl.2

Canada

JJB* Posted at 8-7 10:53

In Normal mode with APAS on craft will act on obstacles, knowing that the correcting speed is related to the distance out to the obstacle.

Except that it does work in tripod mode....?
2020-8-7
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

a.yd.w. Posted at 8-7 13:28
Except that it does work in tripod mode....?

But APAS isn’t available in tripod mode:
Advanced Pilot Assistance Systems 3.0
The Advanced Pilot Assistance Systems 3.0 (APAS 3.0) feature is available in Normal mode. When APAS is enabled, the aircraft continues to respond to user commands and plans its path according to both control stick inputs and the flight environment. APAS makes it easier to avoid obstacles, obtain smoother footage, and gives a better flying experience.

2020-8-7
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
United States

JJB* Posted at 8-7 10:53

In Normal mode with APAS on craft will act on obstacles, knowing that the correcting speed is related to the distance out to the obstacle.

I think we're all trying to make some rational sense out of an incomplete update.  When you think about all the different permutations that can occur, I think DJI just left one or two incorrect.

2020-8-7
Use props
a.yd.w.
lvl.2

Canada

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 8-7 13:46
But APAS isn’t available in tripod mode:
Advanced Pilot Assistance Systems 3.0
The Advanced Pilot Assistance Systems 3.0 (APAS 3.0) feature is available in Normal mode. When APAS is enabled, the aircraft continues to respond to user commands and plans its path according to both control stick inputs and the flight environment. APAS makes it easier to avoid obstacles, obtain smoother footage, and gives a better flying experience.

Ahh I did not know that, good to know regardless of whether that's actually why yaw smoothness isn't working in normal mode haha.  Thanks!
2020-8-7
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 8-7 13:46
I think we're all trying to make some rational sense out of an incomplete update.  When you think about all the different permutations that can occur, I think DJI just left one or two incorrect.

What do you think APAS uses to laterally avoid obstacles???  Yaw or roll???  If yaw, then you'd not only want smoothness to be deactivated but also yaw speed, too.  Think about if you had yaw speed as slow as possible how that would affect maneuvering.  If APAS uses roll to laterally avoid obstacles, then there'd be no reason to deactivate yaw smoothness with APAS on.  It's a conundrum!!!

I think that when APAS triggers, it's able to use all throttle, yaw, pitch, and roll available if needed...regardless of what settings you have in the gimbal settings.  When you move the toggles, it uses your gimbal settings.  When APAS  triggers, it uses its own parameters.  That's the way I would have  designed it.

2020-8-7
Use props
a.yd.w.
lvl.2

Canada

Rustic17 Posted at 8-7 14:10
What do you think APAS uses to laterally avoid obstacles???  Yaw or roll???  If yaw, then you'd not only want smoothness to be deactivated but also yaw speed, too.  Think about if you had yaw speed as slow as possible how that would affect maneuvering.  If APAS uses roll to laterally avoid obstacles, then there'd be no reason to deactivate yaw smoothness with APAS on.  It's a conundrum!!!

If I remember correctly from the last time from testing, yaw speed adjustment does work in normal mode, just not the smoothness.  You can see that in the video here as well:

So while possible, I'd imagine yaw speed to affect APAS a lot more than smoothness, and if you can adjust speed, then it's probably not APAS related?
2020-8-7
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
United States

a.yd.w. Posted at 8-7 14:16
If I remember correctly from the last time from testing, yaw speed adjustment does work in normal mode, just not the smoothness.  You can see that in the video here as well:

So while possible, I'd imagine yaw speed to affect APAS a lot more than smoothness, and if you can adjust speed, then it's probably not APAS related?

I added this to my last post:   I think that when APAS triggers, it's able to use all throttle, yaw, pitch, and roll available if needed...regardless of what settings you have in the gimbal settings.  When you move the toggles, it uses your gimbal settings.  When APAS triggers, it uses its own parameters.  That's the way I would have designed it.
2020-8-7
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
United States

I'm thinking roll is probably what APAS uses to move laterally to avoid an obstacle.  Roll would create lateral separation faster than yaw.   With forward movement and roll, the vector would be straight diagonal.  Forward movement with yaw would create more of a curved vector, taking you closer to the obstacle.
2020-8-7
Use props
a.yd.w.
lvl.2

Canada

Rustic17 Posted at 8-7 14:36
I'm thinking roll is probably what APAS uses to move laterally to avoid an obstacle.  Roll would create lateral separation faster than yaw.   With forward movement and roll, the vector would be straight diagonal.  Forward movement with yaw would create more of a curved vector, taking you closer to the obstacle.

Ahh sorry, I think I must've gotten confused as to who is saying yaw settings affect APAS.  IMHO I don't think it should, hence why I also think this behaviour is a bug rather than a feature .
2020-8-7
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
United States

a.yd.w. Posted at 8-7 14:40
Ahh sorry, I think I must've gotten confused as to who is saying yaw settings affect APAS.  IMHO I don't think it should, hence why I also think this behaviour is a bug rather than a feature .

That's what I said in Reply #6...
2020-8-7
Use props
Joe Foreman
lvl.3
Australia

I just did a bit of testing with the new firmware and it looks like the smoothness settings work if the obstacle avoidance is set to "brake" or off, but don't apply when its set to "go around or avoid". Only Normal mode has this option, in Tripod mode it's just set to brake, and Sports mode doesn't have O/A at all.
2020-8-10
Use props
jcmarceau
lvl.2
Flight distance : 480623 ft
Canada

With the new FW update ....it did not fix the issue. When obstacle avoidance is set to bypass you can't adjust the yaw smoothness on normal mode. If you set it to brake then you can adjust the yaw smoothness to your preference. Why on bypass we can't adjust the yaw smoothness buffer? you play with the slider for the yaw smoothness and it doesn't change the buffer
2020-8-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules