Shaky Footage, possible MMC Cable Issue
562 1 2020-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AtomicKid
lvl.2
Flight distance : 366270 ft
United States

We've been baffled by some very bizzare behavoir from our Ronin-S, particularly on a recent shoot almost all footage had a noticeable shake to every clip. This was not related to walking or improper use, but was a systemic problem even during simple lateral moves.

Camera mounted on Ronin-S is a Sony A7Sii, with a 28mm cine prime. It was balanced "Excellent" on all 3 axis. Everything was fully charged. During the shoot in question we didn't notice the issue until we pulled all the footage off the card. In that instance all the footage had a slight latteral / panning wiggle. Wasn't occilating as much as it was over compensating. This was in our M1 mode which is a bit more smoothed out, and used for long sweeping and gradual follow throughs. We also tried this in our M3 which is more of a sport mode. We haven't messed much with those default settings.

The motor settings are attached after an Auto-Tune.

So what I discussed when doing some research is that someone identified that the MCC Cable could be causing an issue. This blows my mind, but it actually made a difference. We've used the cable in the last shoot and per this youtube post had very similar issues. The shoot prior we recalled we did not use the cable, as I had forgotten to include it in our kit. All that footage was fine.

I've fully balanced and tuned the unit with the cable attached, and while it did bump up the stiffness by 1 in pan for instance, the fact it was being used had some adverse affect on the stabilization.

I'm interested in learning if this is any kind of a known issue. Are there work arounds, other than to just not use it. I have the latest app / firmware as off June 2020. Also, for those subtle movements and shakes does adjusting stiffness, or strength after running "auto-tune" make a difference in working that out and what have people typically been using for a similar (sony) rig?

Thanks!
2020-8-11
Use props
AtomicKid
lvl.2
Flight distance : 366270 ft
United States

2020-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules