1236 21 2020-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Hey all.
l bought my P4Pro Obsidian back in early 2017.
l haven't flown it since '17 either.
So, l'm guessing it's going to need some FW updates when l power it up. My question is: are there FW stepping stones that need to be followed (as there were with the P3 Pro) or will l not brick it by going straight to the latest FW from the original?
2020-8-11
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Welcome Captain  

"l haven't flown it since '17 either ". is not good in my honest oppinion ,  ... I would try update firmware inmediatly , let us know if you get problems
2020-8-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there CapitAn. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared with us. As JetSam posted on post #2. Kindly please update the firmware of your DJI Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian. I will be posting a link where in you can find the most recent firmware for the said DJI drone. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/downloads/so ... t-dji-2-for-phantom
2020-8-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If it flew well back then, it should fly just as well now without doing anything to the firmware.
It's not like firmware updates since then have offered any critical features.
The important issue is .. how are the batteries?
2020-8-12
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17736 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-12 00:00
If it flew well back then, it should fly just as well now without doing anything to the firmware.

A firmware update is a compilation of new and old features. You cannot update half a bios so the old updates, if not updated again, are in the new firmware update. Always use the latest firmware update.
2020-8-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ATJ Posted at 8-12 03:30
A firmware update is a compilation of new and old features. You cannot update half a bios so the old updates, if not updated again, are in the new firmware update. Always use the latest firmware update.

Or not ... it really doesn't make much difference at all.
2020-8-12
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-12 03:35
Or not ... it really doesn't make much difference at all.

Firmware updates enhance the operational features and functionality of a product. It also provides service fixes for various issues that may have developed over time due to various updates to other software. These changes are vital in the technology domain; updating the firmware to gain additional features, functionalities, and capabilities will help prevent your product from becoming obsolete.
Gleaned from this website
2020-8-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ATJ Posted at 8-12 04:40
Firmware updates enhance the operational features and functionality of a product. It also provides service fixes for various issues that may have developed over time due to various updates to other software. These changes are vital in the technology domain; updating the firmware to gain additional features, functionalities, and capabilities will help prevent your product from becoming obsolete.
Gleaned from this website

Firmware updates enhance the operational features and functionality of a product.
Lovely stuff, but here in the real world with real DJI drones and real DJI firmware, almost all firmware updates from a few months after a product is released are of a very trivial nature and rarely do anything significant for the performance or safety of the drone.

I don't know where you're coming from with that hypothetical nonsense but what I suggested is factual and based on 6 years of heavy professional flying of DJI drones rather than unicorns and rainbows.
There definitely won't be any additional features, functionalities, and capabilities to be gained by updating the firmware on the OP's drone.

2020-8-12
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-12 05:59
Firmware updates enhance the operational features and functionality of a product.
Lovely stuff, but here in the real world with real DJI drones and real DJI firmware, almost all firmware updates from a few months after a product is released are of a very trivial nature and rarely do anything significant for the performance or safety of the drone.

As usual, I expected an argument from you. There are many more things in a firmware update than meets the eye, they usually only tell you the major features updated. Firmware updates are essential to anything that is computer controlled. As an experienced flyer, I'm curious why you are trying to discourage pilots from doing the right thing?
2020-8-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ATJ Posted at 8-12 06:13
As usual, I expected an argument from you. There are many more things in a firmware update than meets the eye, they usually only tell you the major features updated. Firmware updates are essential to anything that is computer controlled. As an experienced flyer, I'm curious why you are trying to discourage pilots from doing the right thing?

I'm not trying to discourage pilots from "doing the right thing".
Any flyer is able to update or not as they choose.
I'm simply stating facts and being helpful.
If the drone flew normally a couple of weeks or years ago, it will fly just the same now without messing around with firmware updates.
In the case of the OP it would make sense making sure that the drone is working properly before complicating things by messing around with firmware updates.
If there's any problem, and the firmware has been messed around with, how would you know whether the problem was in the drone or as a result of the attempted firmware update.
It makes a lot more sense to simplify matters so any problem can be more easily identified.

And then, after confirming that the drone is all OK, update firmware if the owner chooses to.

As usual, I expected an argument from you.
What does that mean?
I go far out of my way to give accurate advice and help to flyers on this forum again and again.
But if you want an argument, I'll toss in that your "advice indicates that you are way out of your depth and have no idea what you are talking about.

2020-8-12
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Thank you all for the advice. l'm glad to hear there are no mandatory stepping stone FWs to install before jumping to the latest, as there were with my P3.

l only flew this drone twice before moving and never unpacked it. The single original battery looks flat/normal, and is charging fine (went immediately to 2-3 bars when plugged in). l bought 2 new ones too.
l'll start it up and see what messages l get, maybe l'll give it a test flight before updating.

2020-8-12
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-12 06:46
I'm not trying to discourage pilots from "doing the right thing".
Any flyer is able to update or not as they choose.
I'm simply stating facts and being helpful.

Again, I'm curious why you are trying to discourage pilots from doing the right thing?
DJi puts these firmware updates out there for a reason.
2020-8-12
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

ATJ Posted at 8-12 09:22
Again, I'm curious why you are trying to discourage pilots from doing the right thing?

l'll try to answer for him: l've been flying drones since l got my P2 back in 2013. There have been many (MANY) "updates" that have grounded people's drones for weeks on end. lt has been very much trial and error with DJI. I'm happy to hear that this seems to have changed since then, but back in the day a lot of people were jaded about updates. l myself never updated my P3P - it still has the original 1.1.6 FW used with the DJI Pilot app, predating the GO app. l therefore averted all the headaches that others on this forum were experiencing 5, 6, 7 years ago. l've also noted that service is now better and offers way more options than it did back in the day. We were pretty much on our own back then, or had to send our drone off to China where they'd keep it for weeks/months before deciding if we or they paid for repair. lt's come a long way, but l too am still a little leery of updates, hence the posted question.
2020-8-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ATJ Posted at 8-12 09:22

I'm curious about your poor comprehension.
You haven't understood anything I've written.
And your ideas about firmware updates are pure fantasy.

I won't waste any more typing on you.
2020-8-12
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-12 18:02
I'm curious about your poor comprehension.
You haven't understood anything I've written.
And your ideas about firmware updates are pure fantasy.

You have a interesting approach Labroides, if you don't' agree with someone you criticize and talk down to them, I have seen this with many other posts. Please don't waste any more time typing on me?
2020-8-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ATJ Posted at 8-13 02:37
You have a interesting approach Labroides, if you don't' agree with someone you criticize and talk down to them, I have seen this with many other posts. Please don't waste any more time typing on me?

You misunderstood what I said in my initial post and attacked me over it.
You kept misunderstanding when I explained you were wrong.
And you're still attacking all because you stupidly still refuse to understand what I said.

Everything I said was completely true and helpful to the OP.
I never did a thing to "discourage flyers from doing the right thing".
Added to that your ideas about firmware updates are far removed from reality.
Ignorant tosser !!

2020-8-13
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-13 03:31
You misunderstood what I said in my initial post and attacked me over it.
You kept misunderstanding when I explained you were wrong.
And you're still attacking all because you stupidly still refuse to understand what I said.

There you go being rude again. As matter of fact the OP did not ask about batteries they asked about firmware. At which point DJi Stephan responded saying:

Hello there CapitAn. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared with us. As JetSam posted on post #2. Kindly please update the firmware of your DJI Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian. I will be posting a link where in you can find the most recent firmware for the said DJI drone. Thank you.
Also, you realize Labroides, that the batteries needed a firmware update as well. Right?

But no, your response was:

How can you say you were trying to help the OP when you didn't even respond to their question.
I think your the Ignorant tosser !!

2020-8-13
Use props
F.KOK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18954370 ft
  • >>>
Namibia

I won't waste any more typing on you.

Please don't waste any more time typing on me?

Then stop, and just help the Lady please.  
2020-8-13
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

l'm about to take it out for its first flight. Fingers are crossed.
2020-8-13
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Success! So, it's fully functional and rock-steady on its original FW. The battery is completely normal/as new, all cells equal.
l think l dodged a bullet by leaving it idle so long, so l'm not going to mess with a good thing.
2020-8-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

F.KOK Posted at 8-13 06:28
I won't waste any more typing on you.

Please don't waste any more time typing on me?

If you haven't noticed ...  did
2020-8-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ATJ Posted at 8-13 05:59
There you go being rude again. As matter of fact the OP did not ask about batteries they asked about firmware. At which point DJi Stephan responded saying:

Hello there CapitAn. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared with us. As JetSam posted on post #2. Kindly please update the firmware of your DJI Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian. I will be posting a link where in you can find the most recent firmware for the said DJI drone. Thank you.

The battery firmware update (if applicable) would be a trivial thing.
The condition of the batteries after a long storage was far more important.

And I believe I was helping the OP because I did address her concerns with accurate and relevant information.
But given your demonstrated problems with comprehension I wouldn't expect you to understand that.
2020-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules