Limited distance
2395 14 2020-8-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Central Maine Drones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1046680 ft
United States

I've had my P3P since 2016.  In January 2017 I had it in for service as it ran away but I was able to regain control.  DJI replaced the Phantom 3 main control board component underwarranty and returned it.  From the day I got it back it was limited in how far it could fly before it would loose signal.  I thought I had a problem with the remote control so I bought another, that didn't help so I bought a third with ITELITE extended antenna.  That did not increase the range.  I use to be able to fly 12000 feet away from starting point and fly back without loss of signal.  Since the main control board component was replaced I can't fly more than 3500 feet without loosing signal invoking automatic return to home.  I just bought a used P4P as I was fed up with the limited range.  I was wondering if anyone else has a problem with limited range?The picture is from my longest flight away and return to base BEFORE the main control board component was replaced.  No crashes or hard landings, never got wet (rain or snow).  
flightdistance.jpg
2020-8-12
Use props
JetSam
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

WELCOME Central Maine Drones  !! I think it depends on the way of aiming, I increase the height of the device as it moves away, for example if at a distance of a kilometer and 60 meters I lose signal, I increase the height, and so on.
2020-8-12
Use props
JetSam
First Officer
Spain

2020-8-12
Use props
JetSam
First Officer
Spain

iT IS MY pHANTOM 4 ,Look at the way the drone gains height as it advances, at minute 2:40 I'm going 110 meters high

2020-8-12
Use props
Central Maine Drones
lvl.2
United States

I have increased altitude attempting to restore signal while flying.  I typically fly between 200 and 300 feet.  It doesn't matter, once I get to 3500 feet signal drops, drone goes to automatic return to home.  
2020-8-12
Use props
Central Maine Drones
lvl.2
United States

Here's one of the flight logs, 316 feet in altitude, 3490 feet away and lost signal.  
2020-8-12
Use props
JetSam
First Officer
Spain

That lack of rank should not happen at least in your FCC region ... imo
2020-8-12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. There may be a strong signal interference in the location like radio tower, power cables or metal structure that might be causing this issue, please try flying the drone in a different location with less interference. Please follow the steps on the video JetSam posted at post #3 for the Best practices when flying the drone and try to turn off the Wifi and Bluetooth on the mobile device to isolate the issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-8-13
Use props
Central Maine Drones
lvl.2
United States

I have been flying in this location for over 4 years.  I am in VERY rural Maine.  No radio towers, no cell towers, nothing has changed other than having had the main control board component replaced.  I have gone to other locations with same poor results.  I'm contemplating sending the unit in for service once my P4P arrives on Saturday.
2020-8-13
Use props
Central Maine Drones
lvl.2
United States

I purchased a used Phantom 4 Pro, it arrived today. Flew North from the house and seemed to have similar problem, drone didn't want to go very far.  Flew it back, went through settings in the Go 4 app to see maximum distance of 500 meters had been set by prior owner.  Changed it to max 8000 meters.  Looked at my P3P via Go app, saw max distance setting was turned off, turned it on but it will only allow 500 meters there.  Is this some new limit in DJI Go app, if you turn Maximum Distance off you can fly 3500 feet but with max distance on you are limited to 500 meters?
2020-8-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Central Maine Drones Posted at 8-19 13:21
I purchased a used Phantom 4 Pro, it arrived today. Flew North from the house and seemed to have similar problem, drone didn't want to go very far.  Flew it back, went through settings in the Go 4 app to see maximum distance of 500 meters had been set by prior owner.  Changed it to max 8000 meters.  Looked at my P3P via Go app, saw max distance setting was turned off, turned it on but it will only allow 500 meters there.  Is this some new limit in DJI Go app, if you turn Maximum Distance off you can fly 3500 feet but with max distance on you are limited to 500 meters?

Is this some new limit in DJI Go app, if you turn Maximum Distance off you can fly 3500 feet but with max distance on you are limited to 500 meters?
No, it's the same as it's always been
Turn off the Max Distance Limit if you don't want a limit,
2020-8-19
Use props
Central Maine Drones
lvl.2
United States

Apparently I wasn't clear.  With Maximum Distance setting turned OFF I can fly 3500 feet.  If I turn Maximum Distance on the max value I can enter is 500 meters or 1640 feet.  Before DJI serviced the drone in January 2017 I could fly 11,000 feet (distance limited by battery life).  I have a friend with a P3P I'm trying to get him to come to my place to fly that to see if it also has the 3500 distance limit with the Maximum Distance setting turned off.  That will confirm whether it's my drone or a setting in DJI Go for the P3P.
maxdistance.jpg
2020-8-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Central Maine Drones Posted at 8-20 04:57
Apparently I wasn't clear.  With Maximum Distance setting turned OFF I can fly 3500 feet.  If I turn Maximum Distance on the max value I can enter is 500 meters or 1640 feet.  Before DJI serviced the drone in January 2017 I could fly 11,000 feet (distance limited by battery life).  I have a friend with a P3P I'm trying to get him to come to my place to fly that to see if it also has the 3500 distance limit with the Maximum Distance setting turned off.  That will confirm whether it's my drone or a setting in DJI Go for the P3P.

Apparently I wasn't clear.  With Maximum Distance setting turned OFF I can fly 3500 feet.  If I turn Maximum Distance on the max value I can enter is 500 meters or 1640 feet.
Apparently I didn't make things clear enough.  
What you are thinking is a setting for Maximum Distance is a setting that helps you to set a Max Distance Limit.
If you don't want a limit, you need to turn off the Max Distance (Limit) setting.

2020-8-20
Use props
Central Maine Drones
lvl.2
United States

NO.  What I am saying is prior to maintenance performed in January 2017 by DJI (replaced main controller board) I was able to fly 11,000 feet+ in one direction.  After maintenance I can only fly 3500 feet with Max Distance turned OFF.  I just bought a used P4P and see the Go4 app has max distance setting where you can set it to allow you to fly 26000 odd feet.  I didn't know the original Go app had a max distance setting (or forgot).  When I turn it on in the Go app it's limited to 500 meters.   I believe I have a problem with my aircraft from the Jan 2017 maintenance.  It's nothing to do with my wanting or not wanting to turn on the Maximum Distance settings.  I was simply asking if DJI has changed the values allowed in the original Go app versus Go4 app where Go4 app has the 26000+ foot limit.
2020-8-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Central Maine Drones Posted at 8-20 05:31
NO.  What I am saying is prior to maintenance performed in January 2017 by DJI (replaced main controller board) I was able to fly 11,000 feet+ in one direction.  After maintenance I can only fly 3500 feet with Max Distance turned OFF.  I just bought a used P4P and see the Go4 app has max distance setting where you can set it to allow you to fly 26000 odd feet.  I didn't know the original Go app had a max distance setting (or forgot).  When I turn it on in the Go app it's limited to 500 meters.   I believe I have a problem with my aircraft from the Jan 2017 maintenance.  It's nothing to do with my wanting or not wanting to turn on the Maximum Distance settings.  I was simply asking if DJI has changed the values allowed in the original Go app versus Go4 app where Go4 app has the 26000+ foot limit.

I was simply asking if DJI has changed the values allowed in the original Go app versus Go4 app where Go4 app has the 26000+ foot limit.
And I already answered that.
Nothing has changed.
And if you want no limit, you still need to turn off the Max Distance setting.
2020-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules