Question about High ISO videos
710 7 2020-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zakkorn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 669442 ft
Greece

Yesterday I record some test videos in 800 and 1600 ISO. (4K 30fps D-Cine)
The area was surrounded with long grass and a few trees.
The result was like I put a very high denoise setting. Very bad and very blurry, especially on the vegetation areas.
I saw that kind of result in jpgs photos as well with similar settings.
Is this denoise part of the Mavic Air 2 algorithm and works automatically in High ISO situations?
Or is it because of the compression of H.265 (and H.264), as the 100Mbps is not enough for that kind of noise?

2020-8-13
Use props
Zakkorn
lvl.4
Greece

Here is a sample from a frame grab.
Look at the vegetation how blurry is.
And the whole picture have a blurry feeling.
4K 30fps 1600 ISO D-Cine

2020-8-13
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Zakkorn Posted at 8-13 06:40
Here is a sample from a frame grab.
Look at the vegetation how blurry is.
And the whole picture have a blurry feeling.

That's normal for such a high ISO.  ISO 100 will give you the best overall quality.  As you go higher, graininess increases.  A lot of people fly in manual exposure so they can keep the ISO as low as possible.  Once the shutter speed drops below 1/60 (relatively calm winds), I start to increase the ISO.  Sadly, no one seems to know the priority of how Auto exposure adjusts...whether shutter speed first or ISO.  D-Cine will always be faded...it's designed for those cinematographers who edit their videos.  If you're like me and not into editing, you should probably be in Normal.
2020-8-13
Use props
Zakkorn
lvl.4
Greece

Rustic17 Posted at 8-13 07:48
That's normal for such a high ISO.  ISO 100 will give you the best overall quality.  As you go higher, graininess increases.  A lot of people fly in manual exposure so they can keep the ISO as low as possible.  Once the shutter speed drops below 1/60 (relatively calm winds), I start to increase the ISO.  Sadly, no one seems to know the priority of how Auto exposure adjusts...whether shutter speed first or ISO.  D-Cine will always be faded...it's designed for those cinematographers who edit their videos.  If you're like me and not into editing, you should probably be in Normal.

I think you misunderstood me.
I asked if the blurriness is because of the H.265 algorithm and 100Mbps OR if it is because DJI has put an automatic noise reduction.
I know what High ISO does.
The problem is that in the MA2 videos instead of high Noise, I get Blur (as a result of noise reduction).I tried D-Cine and Normal and still have this blurriness.
2020-8-13
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

Zakkorn Posted at 8-13 08:10
I think you misunderstood me.
I asked if the blurriness is because of the H.265 algorithm and 100Mbps OR if it is because DJI has put an automatic noise reduction.
I know what High ISO does.

Sorry....I did misunderstand and can't help you.  I use H.265 and everything is clear and sharp.  
2020-8-13
Use props
Zakkorn
lvl.4
Greece

Rustic17 Posted at 8-13 08:20
Sorry....I did misunderstand and can't help you.  I use H.265 and everything is clear and sharp.

Everything is clean and sharp even in High ISO (800 and 1600)?
2020-8-13
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

Zakkorn Posted at 8-13 08:21
Everything is clean and sharp even in High ISO (800 and 1600)?

No...that's what I was saying earlier.  I don't ever shoot above ISO 200 if I'm trying to get a sharp, clear picture.  For me, above ISO 200 you can really start to see graininess increase...particularly in shadows and dark areas.  If I shoot at ISO 800 and 1600 (which I seldom if ever do)  it's because there's no other way and I know I'll have quality degradation from graininess or blur from too slow a shutter speed.
2020-8-13
Use props
Zakkorn
lvl.4
Greece

I just find out that DJI applies a Denoise algorithm.
I saw my Mini's footage that I recorded 2 months ago under 3200 ISO above a night club.
There you can see the high color Noise all over the place.
But in Mavic Air 2 800 ISO and above you see blurriness all over the place. Like someone put a Denoise filter.

DJI please leave the Noise to us or at least give us an option to apply Denoise or not.
2020-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules