664 4 2020-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MI-Hawaii
lvl.1
Flight distance : 520561 ft
United States

Hi All -

I've just had my 2nd MAir battery die during flight.
The first failed (Battery 1) while about 1/2 mile away and 1 minute flying time - went from 95% to 0% in about 1 second...
The second (Battery 2) was during high wind after about 30 seconds. 90% to 0%...

I called DJI regarding the first failure - only took about 4 hours to track down the number, upload flight data and chat online with a useless 'tech'. In the end they said since the battery was out of warranty, tough luck.
I haven't bothered to call regarding the 2nd battery failure.

Has anyone out there had similar battery failures and/or ideas what would cause this or how to avoid it?
Both batteries were treated well, never dropped, almost always shut down before reaching 15% charge. I have two Mavic Air drones and the failures were on different machines.
An interesting note - both times the failure happened for the first time, I was in sports mode (however the drone had only been in flight for less than a minute both times).
Another interesting note - Battery 1 always failed again if I charged/tried to fly - the last time I got to about 10 feet at the initial hover and it literally fell out of the sky after 3 seconds of flight on P mode. It is completely dead now. Battery 2 swelled up and started separating from its case. I've taped/super glued it closed and use it for on-the-ground transfering from drone to computer...

Comments welcome.
Thank you
2020-8-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

How recently had the batteries been charged?
Your recorded flight data will help understand the issue.
2020-8-13
Use props
MI-Hawaii
lvl.1
Flight distance : 520561 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-13 16:57
How recently had the batteries been charged?
Your recorded flight data will help understand the issue.

I charge batteries the night before or the day of an assignment. They're also checked before flights and of course, when on.
I flight data only shows what happens - 99% - and sudden 0%.  "Critical battery" message comes on - then a forced landing. The only way to do a fly-back is to keep the up-stick at full up, and point the drone back at yourself - which makes the drone do a kind of angled, glide-like "return" - more like a controlled crash....
2020-8-13
Use props
Donovan Buck
New

United States

Exact same issue for me as well. Battery swells, then pops out, then drone malfunctions. Poor design and should warrant a recall. Seen several reports of many others with the same issue. Very dangerous! DJI should admit its fault and remedy it. Happening to lots of people with only 30 or 40 charges on them.
2020-8-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

MI-Hawaii Posted at 8-13 17:35
I charge batteries the night before or the day of an assignment. They're also checked before flights and of course, when on.
I flight data only shows what happens - 99% - and sudden 0%.  "Critical battery" message comes on - then a forced landing. The only way to do a fly-back is to keep the up-stick at full up, and point the drone back at yourself - which makes the drone do a kind of angled, glide-like "return" - more like a controlled crash....

flight data only shows what happens - 99% - and sudden 0%.
It's the cell voltage that is important to learn about the battery's health rather than the % indicator.
It would be interesting to see the data.
2020-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules