Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
why MUST i have location permission on android?
4949 8 2020-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 363661 ft
United States

Just got the osmo 3 today and installed the mimo app. It wants location permission and it gives me no choice in the matter. If i deny location permission, it just keeps asking over and over for it and wont let me use the app unless i grant it. It's crap like this that makes people paranoid about DJI and security issues. There is no reason I can think of where GPS funtionality is essential.  I understand if i want GPS coordinates in the photos it would need access to my location. But if i don't want/need that feature, then there's no reason to grant GPS to mimo.

Can someone explain why GPS is required in this app or someway to deny it and still use the app?

Android 10, Samsung Note 10+ 5g
2020-8-13
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

Because it's f.... China. ;)
2020-8-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. The DJI Osmo Mobile 3 doesn't have a GPS module that could produce an accurate GPS coordinate. The notification that you've encountered is normal for installing application, however, you could still refuse to that notification as part of your option. To disable the GPS feature on the DJI Mimo application please go to Profile > Settings > Privacy then turn off the GPS location settings. Again, I am sorry for the trouble. Thank you.
2020-8-14
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 8-14 07:23
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. The DJI Osmo Mobile 3 doesn't have a GPS module that could produce an accurate GPS coordinate. The notification that you've encountered is normal for installing application, however, you could still refuse to that notification as part of your option. To disable the GPS feature on the DJI Mimo application please go to Profile > Settings > Privacy then turn off the GPS location settings. Again, I am sorry for the trouble. Thank you.

Thanks for the reply - but that does not work. That was already turned off. Even with it off, the app still demands location access.  Right after i turned it off the app gives me a popup with the message:
"Permission denied permission rejected. Please authorize the permission for use the functionality normally"
If i click on cancel, the window just keeps re-appearing so clicking cancel basically does nothing.  Nothing i click on will get rid of the popups telling me i have to enable location permission. The ONLY way to get rid of the popup and actually use the app is to grant location permission. There is ZERO reason why this app MUST have location access to function.

And just to make this even more absurd, or sinister, the ONLY permission the app demands is location and storage. If i deny access to the camer and microphone it's perfectly fine and keeps running. But if i turn off location or storage, i can not use the app. Why would location be more important then being able to access the camera?!? I really hope this is just a programming bug. Because considering all the security concerns people have been raising with DJI and the government, this does NOT make DJI look good. It makes DJI look really bad.

2020-8-14
Use props
VanzPix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4 Posted at 8-14 09:51
Thanks for the reply - but that does not work. That was already turned off. Even with it off, the app still demands location access.  Right after i turned it off the app gives me a popup with the message:
"Permission denied permission rejected. Please authorize the permission for use the functionality normally"
If i click on cancel, the window just keeps re-appearing so clicking cancel basically does nothing.  Nothing i click on will get rid of the popups telling me i have to enable location permission. The ONLY way to get rid of the popup and actually use the app is to grant location permission. There is ZERO reason why this app MUST have location access to function.

Hello it's weird me I refuse the request for access to the gps and it works. He's not asking me anymore. So try in the phone's permissions and turn it off.
2020-8-15
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
United States

VanzPix Posted at 8-15 10:00
Hello it's weird me I refuse the request for access to the gps and it works. He's not asking me anymore. So try in the phone's permissions and turn it off.

i've tried in the phones permission multiple times, and i can not use the app without location AND storage turned on. If i turn either of them off the app gives me a popup asking for permission and the popup will not go away unless i grant those two permissions.
2020-8-15
Use props
VanzPix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4 Posted at 8-15 22:04
i've tried in the phones permission multiple times, and i can not use the app without location AND storage turned on. If i turn either of them off the app gives me a popup asking for permission and the popup will not go away unless i grant those two permissions.

Accept the request once in camera view on the app disable your phone's gps. It should work
2020-8-16
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
United States

VanzPix Posted at 8-16 01:37
Accept the request once in camera view on the app disable your phone's gps. It should work

I already mentioned i tried doing this - i've tried allowing permissions and then removing them in the app settings while in the app - as soon as i do this, the app demands location permissions.
2020-8-16
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 8-14 07:23
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. The DJI Osmo Mobile 3 doesn't have a GPS module that could produce an accurate GPS coordinate. The notification that you've encountered is normal for installing application, however, you could still refuse to that notification as part of your option. To disable the GPS feature on the DJI Mimo application please go to Profile > Settings > Privacy then turn off the GPS location settings. Again, I am sorry for the trouble. Thank you.

Any other suggestions?
2020-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules