Betaflight OSD shows up during flight but not in recording
8025 16 2020-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
neilfpv
lvl.4

United States

Hi DJI Support,

I just bought a DJI fpv goggles and it was my first time using it today! It's one of the best products that DJI has made. Thank you so much!

Back to the issue. I configured my quadcopter and goggles to display Betaflight OSD. They are there during flight. However, when I got home, I was extremely shocked to find out they are not in the video recordings. I fly in different places like huge open field of corn, woods. I live in the northwest suburbs of Illinois and we have many of those. What if my quad crash, how will I be able to find my quad if the gps LAT/LON aren't on the video? On my previous setup using Rush Tank VTX and Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, the Betaflight OSD data are on my recordings. Am I missing any configurations?

Here's one of my videos where all the Betaflight OSD are recorded on the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WBOKM0aa_Y

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Neil
2020-8-13
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Neil, just to clarify, the OSD can be recorded by the DJI Goggles with firmware higher than V01.00.01.00, however, the custom OSD of Betaflight doesn't support recording by the Goggles.
Besides, the recorded OSD doesn't include the gps LAT/LON. It is suggested to fly in LOS in open areas.
2020-8-14
Use props
mc54
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1030 ft

United States

Having GPS coordinates that DON'T record on the goggle DVR footage is basically worthless.

Compared to analog, DJI's way of handling the custom OSD is definitely not as good. You can't record it, you can't change the fonts, and there is not post flight stats summary.   For the stats that DO record, you have to go back and mess around with an extra file, and then when the numbers do show up, they are all clumped together and are hard to read.

You would think these could all be easily fixed with firmware updates, but maybe there is something essentially different in the way the digital signal is processed that makes this difficult to do?
2020-8-14
Use props
neilfpv
lvl.4

United States

mc54 Posted at 8-14 05:06
Having GPS coordinates that DON'T record on the goggle DVR footage is basically worthless.

Compared to analog, DJI's way of handling the custom OSD is definitely not as good. You can't record it, you can't change the fonts, and there is not post flight stats summary.   For the stats that DO record, you have to go back and mess around with an extra file, and then when the numbers do show up, they are all clumped together and are hard to read.

I totally agree! It is useless if it's not recorded in the video. Let's hope that someone from DJI like a developer says they're working on it rather than keeping it. It was one of the reason why it took me a while to decide if I should buy or not. When I saw Betaflight OSD is now being rendered, I decided it was time. However, the youtubers didn't mention that Betaflight OSD is not being recorded yet.
2020-8-14
Use props
neilfpv
lvl.4

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 8-14 00:32
Hi Neil, just to clarify, the OSD can be recorded by the DJI Goggles with firmware higher than V01.00.01.00, however, the custom OSD of Betaflight doesn't support recording by the Goggles.
However, the recorded OSD doesn't include the gps LAT/LON. It is suggested to fly in LOS in open areas.

I can't stick to one area. I've been flying in different types of places. Where is the fun if I do LOS? Yep, I was referring to Betaflight OSD. I'm sure I mentioned it.
2020-8-14
Use props
neilfpv
lvl.4

United States

I examined the sd card yesterday and found that the goggles also records subrip text files(.srt). It's a plain text file that contains DJI osd data. Since the DJI fpv goggles can render the Betaflight osd data on the screen, can they be saved too in the srt file?

Here's one of the srt files that was recorded yesterday. It doesn't include the Betaflight osd data.

I was thinking DJI Susan hasn't seen a Betaflight osd data in DJI fpv goggles. I'll take a picture shortly.

2020-8-15
Use props
neilfpv
lvl.4

United States

Here it is just few seconds after powering on the goggles. The lat/lon coordinates on top left corner were still being acquired.
2020-8-15
Use props
Ewoud Wijma
lvl.1

Netherlands

DJI Susan Posted at 8-14 00:32
However, the recorded OSD doesn't include the gps LAT/LON. It is suggested to fly in LOS in open areas.

Hi Susan. Please add gps Lat Lon In the srt file and add a function in the goggle menu to Overlay it on the video (optionally) when Playing the video. By this we can use it to find back a lost quad. Even better: get the last recorded gps position and show it on a (downloaded) map.
2020-8-15
Use props
neilfpv
lvl.4

United States

Ewoud Wijma Posted at 8-15 07:33
Hi Susan. Please add gps Lat Lon In the srt file and add a function in the goggle menu to Overlay it on the video (optionally) when Playing the video. By this we can use it to find back a lost quad. Even better: get the last recorded gps position and show it on a (downloaded) map.

Great idea!
2020-8-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

neilfpv Posted at 8-15 05:50
I examined the sd card yesterday and found that the goggles also records subrip text files(.srt). It's a plain text file that contains DJI osd data. Since the DJI fpv goggles can render the Betaflight osd data on the screen, can they be saved too in the srt file?

Here's one of the srt files that was recorded yesterday. It doesn't include the Betaflight osd data.

Hi Neil, thank you for your suggestion, I had recorded your requirement and forwarded it to our engineers to notice.
2020-8-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Ewoud Wijma Posted at 8-15 07:33
Hi Susan. Please add gps Lat Lon In the srt file and add a function in the goggle menu to Overlay it on the video (optionally) when Playing the video. By this we can use it to find back a lost quad. Even better: get the last recorded gps position and show it on a (downloaded) map.

Hi Ewoud, I will forward your feedback to our engineers as well. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
2020-8-16
Use props
neilfpv
lvl.4

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 8-16 03:03
Hi Neil, thank you for your suggestion, I had recorded your requirement and forwarded it to our engineers to notice.

Thank you so much Susan! Have a great day!

I'd like to emphasize that the DJI fpv goggles is a gift from heaven to FPV pilots!
2020-8-16
Use props
fans6d139cfa
lvl.2
Australia

was there any update re this?
2021-6-7
Use props
neilfpv
lvl.4

United States

fans6d139cfa Posted at 6-7 02:38
was there any update re this?

Yes. The hack was made in Betaflight and not in the goggles.  On Youtube, search for osd betaflight dji fpv goggles. If I remember correctly, it was Joshua Bardwell who made the tutorial.
2021-6-7
Use props
fippo
New

Russia

Hi! The issue is not solved - custom betaflight elements are not stored in DVR.
Dear DJI, please add this feature, it will take several hours of development and it will save a lot of people lost drones. Even when flying in LOS when you fall it's often hard to find a drone, and GPS coordinates from betaflight will help a lot!
2022-1-14
Use props
djiuser_RiQcz8oGPVCc
lvl.2

United States

Hi DJI, any updates on this? I'm flying two O3-based custom builds, but I cannot get most of them as I don't have any way to recover them if I crash.
Please listen to your customers and give us a solution.
2023-2-6
Use props
alainrac
New
Flight distance : 44816 ft
France

Hi DJI, just switched from analogic to DJI and INAV on my fix wings jets, I was used to have sound and OSD when recording with analogic, and now, better images, this is true, but no audio and no OSD recording. It is very disappointing
2023-11-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules