[Feature Request] Digital Video-In via USB-C
16155 33 2020-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
saniel
lvl.1

Germany

Motivation
I think it would be nice to use the DJI FPV Goggles not only as FPV video receiver, but also as a ''second monitor'' connected to a laptop or PC. Thereby, it would be possible to get used to the FPV feeling when playing the simulator. If you have some other games or use cases where this feature might be helpful, please add it in the replies.

Current Workaround (pretty inconvenient)
Technically, this is already possible using the goggles' AV-IN port. But in 2020 it should not be necessary, to first convert the digital output from the computer into analog signal and then back again inside the goggles. I think the intention of the DJI FPV goggles wasn't making a step backwards to analog.
(For all those who can't wait for a (possible) software update: Tutorial to setup the analog conversion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hv5pqc6kHE pretty inconvenient in my opinion)

Feature Request
To conclude my post I want to give an idea how the feature could be implemented. Since the DJI FPV goggles does not have a HDMI-IN port, this isn't an option. But the USB-C port is also capable of streaming video. It would be nice to add an option ''DIGITAL-IN'' (next to AV-IN) to the main menu. Selecting this option reconfigures the USB-C port for receiving a digital video input. Connection the other end of the USB-C cable to the computer should simple add the goggles as a secondary monitor to mirror the simulator on.

If you have any other ideas how this feature could look like, please add it in the replies.

Thank you for your attention!
Saniel
2020-8-14
Use props
SkeemoFPV
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2657 ft
United Kingdom

Completely agree
2020-8-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there saniel. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your valued insights with regards to this matter. I will cascade this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention and evaluation. All significant suggestions or requests will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest DJI updates. Kindly please stay tuned or visit our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Again, thank you for your valued support and please stay safe always.
2020-8-14
Use props
mc54
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1030 ft

United States

Canned response. I've never seen anyone from DJI actually say anything meaningful as a reply to a post here, other than "thanks for the input", or "watch our website for announcements".....

I guess they want to avoid the "Osborne Effect" where they tip their hat too soon....
2020-8-14
Use props
KREMi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

+1 as written in other posts too - DJI digital googles need workaround with analog signal input... f.ck logic
and give us a free app, that will do same what SC (smartcontroler) can do - change USB-C feed to video feed in phone/tablet. as SC is running android, so most of work is already done...
2020-8-14
Use props
saniel
lvl.1

Germany

If DJI actually recognizes that the fpv community would like to have such a feature, they maybe do their best to integrate it. So, thank you for replying and thereby supporting this thread
2020-8-14
Use props
djiuser_EphzRPrS4cTj
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hello DJI, looking forward for the ability to either link the FPV goggle to Mavic 2 Pro, or receive video input from the smart controller directly into the USB port of the goggles as a secondary display, thanks.
2020-12-12
Use props
flyfpv2020
lvl.2
Flight distance : 114206 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-14 03:22
Hello there saniel. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your valued insights with regards to this matter. I will cascade this thread to the designated DJI department for further attention and evaluation. All significant suggestions or requests will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest DJI updates. Kindly please stay tuned or visit our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Again, thank you for your valued support and please stay safe always.

This is not a very good response Stephen, there is no useful information here. This is how you guys always handle these requests. A little follow up would be greatly appreciated. This  feature has been requested so many times, as has having the video go out of the USB C port for monitioring.

I have a feeling DJI are not doing this and its going to be a feature only available for the V2 goggles forcing and upgrade, and more money from our pockets. It's really not cool. I'm getting more and more frustrated with DJI and their products as time goes on. These requests should be the focus of DJI and its engineers. What this response tells me. DJI doesn't give a F, and are just going to force more money out of our hands, and then offer us a ... deal on the trade up program.

This is what happens when a company monopolizes a market and has no competition. I cant wait for more drone companies too come out in the future that doesnt do the stupid ... DJI does. DJI are going to become the Nokia of Drones if they're not careful.
2020-12-24
Use props
djiuser_9X40F7vMSsko
lvl.1
United States

For the price i would like to be able to use it as a secondary screen for my dji inspire 2
2021-1-15
Use props
E4E
New

United States

I bought the DJI FPV which comes with the DJI FPV Goggles V2. It doesn't have an option for composite video input and no hdmi input.... I can connect it to an iPad using the USB-C to make it show video from the iPad, but I have an iPad mini and the simulator app is buggy with the iPad mini, doesn't get past the intro video. So, I am stuck unfortunately. I want to use the goggles for FPV practicing, but at this point my hands are tied.
2021-4-15
Use props
Beckie
lvl.1
Russia

Yes, i also would like to mirror smartphone screen into goggles via usb.
2021-9-9
Use props
hardc0der
New

Germany

Today I got my new DJI Goggles V2 and noticed that there's no HDMI input neither on HDMI-TypeC cable. It's a very big disappointment for me because I had a dream to play simulations with my new googles.
2021-9-9
Use props
djiuser_aJ9HIGFwD3uF
lvl.1

United States

DJI's entire approach to these goggles is just dumb. I spent all that money on high definition video goggles that can't do anything other than FPV drone flying. It's like buying a television that will only play ESPN and no other channels. Turning on the ability for the USB-C port on my V2 goggles to accept video in is a VERY SIMPLE feature that DJI could implement with a simple software/firmware update. Think about it. right now you can receive video in that port from your iPhone, from the simulator app, directly into your goggles. It already works!!

Opening this up via a simple toggle in the settings on the goggles would be easy. You could toggle whether you want the USB-C to be a standard video-in or not. We can take it from there. We'd be able to output video via USB-C from Macs, via HDMI to USB-C converters from anything else. And (most importantly for me) have the ability to stream/mirror an iphone to the goggles, and also play video from my iphone that isn't HDCP protected. Being able to watch movies from my phone into my goggles on a plane would be awesome.

This very simple change would make DJI complete heroes in this space across their customer base. Why? Because if they enabled phone mirroring in the goggles, all of a sudden every single DJI drone could be used via FPV and the V2 goggles. Because every drone uses the DJI Fly app, which you could now stream directly into your goggles from your phone. Even if DJI didn't mirror the entire phone, but at LEAST made the DJI Fly app play into the goggles (just like the simulator app does), it would be a HUGE step.

DJI, please get this done. Be the company that makes all of it's customers happy with a simple fix, and be the envy of the entire drone market. Companies like Skydio are starting to catch up. This simple feature would crush them all again - any DJI drone would be compatible with the v2 Goggles via the Fly app and a simple lightning to USB-C cable. You would sell a ton more sets of v2 goggles in a very short period of time.
2021-11-21
Use props
djiuser_j6qit87yzx3y
lvl.1

United States

This would help me so much and allow me to train on my PC using a simulator!
2021-12-8
Use props
djiuser_oe3R2TRMZ2de
New

Australia

Please make this happen DJI. We all want to practice in simulators using our dji fpv goggles. Please allow us to hdmi/USB c in and out
2021-12-21
Use props
Dakilla
lvl.3
France

But what I don't understand is that it's already possible to do it on the v2 by connecting the USB-C of the DJI on an iphone to play with the official DJI virtual flight simulator. The video stream of the iphone is well transmitted in HD the DJI googles.

I didn't test it because I don't have a HDMI - USB-C cable to connect my PC to the DJI googles. But why wouldn't it work ?

At worst it should be at the software or PC OS level that it blocks, or a feature only available on iphone (sorry I don't know ios very well, I only use android) since the dji virtual flight simulator can do it.
2022-1-20
Use props
jmam6u
lvl.1
Germany

I totally agree - this is a feature which is given at other goggles (other vendors) too and I cannot understand why it isn't implemented here!

With the DJI-app (SIM) there is as well the possibility to use the goggle's screen via USB-C, isn't it!?!
2022-2-21
Use props
druckgott
lvl.2

Germany

I think the main topic is for all future things which are requested as long as you sell many Goggles and you do not really have a good concurrent on the market, why should you invest so much money to implement this things. It's maybe wasted, because I think not really much people do not buy this product because you can't connect it to the pc. I think most people who do a reqeuyr did already by one goggle
Do they sell it again? I think not . So why should they investigate this money its better do use it for further development hardware to be better then others in the future and sell again good products.

Maybe if the wait to long its linke fatahark. A long time they are the best Intel they did not see the change in the market coming drin dji. So maybe at the moment it's not the time that dji have to run so fast . Hopefully you änderst and what I mean. It's not nice for us, I also like this Futura many of them which are requested here but my hop is not so big at them momen.
2022-2-22
Use props
djiuser_obVg7bAeB4aT
New

United States

Dakilla Posted at 1-20 22:07
But what I don't understand is that it's already possible to do it on the v2 by connecting the USB-C of the DJI on an iphone to play with the official DJI virtual flight simulator. The video stream of the iphone is well transmitted in HD the DJI googles.

I didn't test it because I don't have a HDMI - USB-C cable to connect my PC to the DJI googles. But why wouldn't it work ?

Because there is more than 100ms latency associated with using the USB-C output of DJI FPV goggles to drive another set of goggles. Not a very realistic flying experience with a simulator.
2022-4-5
Use props
djiuser_OY8a5VO8XDb1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 182995 ft
United States

Literally coming here to say that I agree, and I wish DJI would unlock the goggle API to maybe at this point just let us develop it ourselves. Im very disappointed that I basically have useless goggles here unless im outside flying, especially given the past history of DJI's goggles working with an HDMI in.
2022-5-6
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

great views!
2022-5-12
Use props
Nidge
lvl.4

United Kingdom

The day DJI respond positively to a customer request will be the day Satan ice skates to work. I think it's now common knowledge that DJI have discontinued their involvement in FPV and have handed their IP over to Fatshark and Caddx/Walksnail to release yet another proprietory system with no backward compatibility to the original product.
2022-5-15
Use props
InputtingAYSM
New

Australia

Yes please DJI, would LOVE both or at least one of
-HDMI input from PC, it would honestly make sence for FPV sims or even VR
-Allowing (or at least not blocking) root acess and maybe even providing us development tools so we can make our own thing

The winning combination would obviously be both, potentually letting you slide in on Occulus like markets, keeping and building influence in the FPV community while having relatively little to low opportunity or development cost.

The timings right, theres other companies soon to be coming out with similar products, theres active "unnoficial" development and rumor has it you have your own product coming out. This is the opportunity to differenciate your product ecosystem and win market share

2022-6-23
Use props
GuggiDJI
lvl.1
Flight distance : 61919 ft
Switzerland

I'm pretty new to FPV and it's disappointing to learn that the goggle doesn't work with LiftOff.

And as I see, this a a topic for at minimum 2 years and many users complained and brought good arguments to have it implemented.

The work around over AV-IN is also not supported anymore. I have tried many tricks, not success so far.

If I knew I'd bought another product than the DJI goggles. I wonder which products do support HDMI input or video input by USB-C? I'm right now screening the market.

I can imagine the 90% of the users like to play with a simulator on the Mac or PC and certainly like to use their goggles.

P.S. I just figured to put my FPV drone in front of the PC screen running LiftOff and connected to the goggles, that might work ... So much to the most stupid workaround I ever heard
2022-7-2
Use props
saniel
lvl.1

Germany

Please let us know if you found an alternative. Additionally, I think the V2 are still too expensive... Maybe the new digital Systems like HD Zero or the other new digital system (I don't know the name) is worth a try
2022-7-2
Use props
djiuser_Jlh2egRIFSho
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14642 ft
Belgium

GuggiDJI Posted at 7-2 05:44
I'm pretty new to FPV and it's disappointing to learn that the goggle doesn't work with LiftOff.

And as I see, this a a topic for at minimum 2 years and many users complained and brought good arguments to have it implemented.

Been searching for a solution for quite a while myself. This idea of having the drone look at the monitor is not bad, BUT, you have to run batteries every time one runs out. Not ideal.

As of yet, I can not get my goggles v2 to work in liftoff.
2022-7-22
Use props
Torsten85
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

Sadly the same is true for the new goggles 2. Also analog input support was dropped, so currently there is no option to get an video signal inside the goggles besides via the drone or the official dji simulator app.
2022-9-22
Use props
djiuser_yvSg8hBy4qRJ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 242677 ft
Switzerland

please report Dji Stephen for trolling, it's 2022. HTF do I connect Dji v2 goggles to a sim?
2022-10-9
Use props
fansae27a883
lvl.2
Israel

Yup, such a naïve wish as connecting Googles V2 to PC to practice in Liftoff/Uncrashed we're expressing in that thread...how dare we are?
FPV is a very small part of DJI enterprise, which re-use existing technology from their camera drones, which are their main cash cow.
IMO, DJI digital video link tech and hardware is supreme, so until some real competition (I mean HDZero) DJI will do nothing - just face that.

2022-12-9
Use props
djiuser_YW5ZA4NxCQ2e
New

Sweden

Just got a pair of fpv v2, and will return them as this feature is something other brands has. DJI would be so much better of going open source.
2022-12-29
Use props
freedom2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 519747 ft
France

I totally agree with this request
2023-1-6
Use props
sofia
New

Pakistan

Gambling machine games get subjects from a large group of motivations, from culture, legislative issues to religion, folklore and that’s just the beginning. Pandora’s Container Openings machine game is established from traditional Greek writing. بهترین سایت شرط بندی
2023-3-17
Use props
evereasy
lvl.1

Taiwan

+1 to what saniel suggested:
> I think it would be nice to use the DJI FPV Goggles not only as FPV video receiver, but also as a ''second monitor'' connected to a laptop or PC.
During the evalutation of buying DJI Avata, the lack of the above feature did stop me from making the decision to buy Avata now. In my use case, laptop or PC = MacBook.

If the above feature is in Avata 2, then I am in for Avata 2! Go! Go! Go! DJI.

DJI Avata 2 Release Date & Expectations - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D09yjk43ZR8

2023-12-31
Use props
evereasy
lvl.1

Taiwan

Duplication of the previous post (#43). Please ignore this post.

2023-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules