Cree LED lights on Mavic Air 2
4388 24 2020-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paultbg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 131204 ft
United Kingdom

I was experimneting around with some LED stand alone (self powered) Cree leds mounted on the sides of the MA2.
I can tell you that even in broad daylight you can see imediatelly the position and orientation of the drone.

Maybe DJI will take note and they will add these type as default on the drones at least on the back legs so it will not affect any recording.
The one now mounted are barelly visible in the evening and not visible at all during the day.
I'm sure that cost wise the difference between Cree and regular leds is pennies.

Just an idea, DJI.

IMG_20200814_121211090.jpg
2020-8-14
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14177772 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2020-8-14
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is sweet!!
2020-8-14
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Certainly a logical suggestion, but that would in theory alter their manufacturing costs, and drive the price up for us.  I have 3 FHT Arc2 strobes on my MA2... makes a huge difference.  However, it does seem like it would be a great addition if it was built in from the start.
2020-8-14
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing.
2020-8-14
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

I suspect the light from the LEDs will reflect off the underside of the propellers and be visible in the camera recordings at least some of the time. Having the LEDs on a post above the plane of the propellers would avoid that, though you would probably still get some reflection on the leading edge of the propellers.
2020-8-14
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have strobe lights all over my drones so I am certainly not against the idea, just playing devils advocate here.

why on earth would dji put strobe lights on their drone?  if those lights go out, will the customer be responsible for repairing them or dji?  will dji built-in strobes work on their own batteries (separate charger) or use the drone battery?  will they have their own on/off switch or even get controlled in the sw?  if dji puts 2-led strobes on my drone, what if I want something better 4-led strobes?  do I pull off the dji stock strobes and somehow retrofit my own or double up on strobes?  what colors will dji choose for you and can I choose my own?

in your statement you said you can immediately see these in broad daylight but you go on to say "...not visible at all during the day."  which is it?  r-question since I know the answer. . still, adding strobes means they must be legal so does that mean I can legally fly at night with these strobes?  that's not a question dji should have to answer for all countries.  particularly if those strobes don't automatically come on at night.  what happens when the regulations change?

so where is your overhead strobe?  do you expect other aircraft to see the strobes the way you mounted?  I would never mount something in and around the sensors and the vents and across the battery; you better hope that band doesn't shut your battery button off in a freak in-flight accident.  you know they make simple mounts for ma2, right?
2020-8-14
Use props
Paultbg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Northwood Posted at 8-14 05:01
Certainly a logical suggestion, but that would in theory alter their manufacturing costs, and drive the price up for us.  I have 3 FHT Arc2 strobes on my MA2... makes a huge difference.  However, it does seem like it would be a great addition if it was built in from the start.

Clearly, my suggestion was for the future models.
2020-8-14
Use props
Paultbg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

MisterFrag Posted at 8-14 08:28
I suspect the light from the LEDs will reflect off the underside of the propellers and be visible in the camera recordings at least some of the time. Having the LEDs on a post above the plane of the propellers would avoid that, though you would probably still get some reflection on the leading edge of the propellers.

I have tested today (morning), there is no light visible in the video. Probably it will be visible in some low light scenarios, that's why I suggested only for rear legs.
2020-8-14
Use props
Paultbg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 8-14 09:46
I have strobe lights all over my drones so I am certainly not against the idea, just playing devils advocate here.

why on earth would dji put strobe lights on their drone?  if those lights go out, will the customer be responsible for repairing them or dji?  will dji built-in strobes work on their own batteries (separate charger) or use the drone battery?  will they have their own on/off switch or even get controlled in the sw?  if dji puts 2-led strobes on my drone, what if I want something better 4-led strobes?  do I pull off the dji stock strobes and somehow retrofit my own or double up on strobes?  what colors will dji choose for you and can I choose my own?

Oh well, Mister Devil' advocate, I appreciate your input though.

I only said that the Cree LEDs are visible during daylight while the built-in ones are not.

My leds are self-powered from their own battery (75mAh) and they can run on that for 2-3 hours. So, assuming that DJI would use 2x Cree for the rear legs only (no to affect the filming) and power them from the main battery that will probably shorten our flight time with 10 seconds? My idea was not to add extra LEDs but to replace the existing navigation ones with Cree LEDs in the future models. Also, they are quite visible from the top / bottom, certainly more visible than the current ones.

In my setup the Velcro is only covering the bottom light, no issue with that as I really don't fly at night.

As for the mounts, I know they exist, I have myself designed & 3D printed one for bait drop. However, they do add weight and shorten the flight time. I have learned long time ago when I started rc planes: If you fly light, you will fly longer ! So I prefer to keep my drone light whenever possible.

2020-8-14
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Paultbg Posted at 8-14 10:17
Clearly, my suggestion was for the future models.

Yes, it would make great sense.  Hopefully there will continue to be future models and we dont get regulated out of the sky!
2020-8-15
Use props
TerminalVelocity
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6248064 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree that if DJI added additional LED lights that it would drive up the  manufacturing cost of their drones, but I don't think it would be all that much.  I too have wished on numerous occasions they were factory installed and remotely controlled like the bottom landing light.   The rate that battery technology is improving, it very well may be feasible in the near future.  
2020-8-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Paultbg. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared with us regarding a LED lights for the DJI Mavic Air 2. Just a reminder that DJI does not recommend for you to use 3rd party accessories on your DJI Drones or modify your DJI product. These 3rd party accessories might affect the said DJI drone when in use. Since the said accessory is not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party accessory if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you and fly safe always.
2020-8-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-16 19:37
Hello there Paultbg. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared with us regarding a LED lights for the DJI Mavic Air 2. Just a reminder that DJI does not recommend for you to use 3rd party accessories on your DJI Drones or modify your DJI product. These 3rd party accessories might affect the said DJI drone when in use. Since the said accessory is not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party accessory if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. Thank you and fly safe always.

might affect the said DJI drone when in use. Since the said accessory is not tested

Why do the said moderators here keep saying said, said, said ?
Just leave the word out as It's just weird and makes no sense.
2020-8-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

How bright are these compared to the landing lights?
2020-8-17
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 8-17 06:52
How bright are these compared to the landing lights?

actually, the landing or auxiliary lights are pretty bright at night.  don't know if they are rated for nighttime use and they mostly only point down so there is that.
2020-8-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 8-17 10:46
actually, the landing or auxiliary lights are pretty bright at night.  don't know if they are rated for nighttime use and they mostly only point down so there is that.

I was wondering if they would help illuminating a subject for night photography.
2020-8-18
Use props
Paultbg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 8-18 00:59
I was wondering if they would help illuminating a subject for night photography.

The Cree leds are a brighter than the landing light however they are strobes, they will light in a certain pattern, like a camera flash if you want. If you need continuos light you can try the Strobon V2 lights as they have 5 selectable patterns of light one being the always ON light. Cheers
2020-8-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Paultbg Posted at 8-18 10:44
The Cree leds are a brighter than the landing light however they are strobes, they will light in a certain pattern, like a camera flash if you want. If you need continuos light you can try the Strobon V2 lights as they have 5 selectable patterns of light one being the always ON light. Cheers

thanks I'll look into that.
2020-8-19
Use props
Bob-Mavic Pro Platinum
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Have LEDs on the drone, they can be steady or strobe, one up, one down, red-left, green-right, top and bottom are White, all set for strobe.  Work very nice, check out Firehouse Technologies.
2020-8-19
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 380978 ft
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 8-16 22:30
might affect the said DJI drone when in use. Since the said accessory is not tested

Why do the said moderators here keep saying said, said, said ?

lawyers is the answer it makes the response specific just saying DJI drone or accessory is not specific enough and could be argued in any legal proceeding, using 'said' declares the item in question as you the poster provided it not DJI .  World of claims, counterclaims and disclaimers these days
2020-8-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

BaynhamPhoto Posted at 8-20 00:10
lawyers is the answer it makes the response specific just saying DJI drone or accessory is not specific enough and could be argued in any legal proceeding, using 'said' declares the item in question as you the poster provided it not DJI .  World of claims, counterclaims and disclaimers these days

Good attempt at an explanation, but if you leave out the said word it really makes no difference to the meaning or legal clarity.
2020-8-20
Use props
George210477
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Strobe lights are for day only, when you also see the drone...for night it will "show" you all mosquitos in front of camera...you want to record the image of city or the flies around the drone? ))))))))
And don't tell me you don't see them...I have tried them...also if the air have smoke or mist, will get an image that is horror.
Cheers.
2020-8-23
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Those are cool. I've been thinking about getting somesuch as that.
2020-8-23
Use props
Paultbg
lvl.4
United Kingdom

George210477 Posted at 8-23 12:37
Strobe lights are for day only, when you also see the drone...for night it will "show" you all mosquitos in front of camera...you want to record the image of city or the flies around the drone? ))))))))
And don't tell me you don't see them...I have tried them...also if the air have smoke or mist, will get an image that is horror.
Cheers.

That is very possible but I cannot comment as I don't really fly at night. Also, I suspect that during dark led's light will be way too visible on the video. :-)
2020-8-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules