DJI needs to bring Shallow Depth of field from the Spark.
1001 18 2020-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI needs to bring the Shallow Depth of field function from the Spark to all the other DJI drones..  It's really good for the bokeh.
2020-8-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI needs to bring the Shallow Depth of field function from the Spark to all the other DJI drones.
DJI doesn't seem to think so.
Drones are very rarely used for close subjects where it might be able to be used.
If it was possible (it's not), imagine how many would be complaining about their out of focus images.

And that's before you look at the technical aspects that would be involved.
But of course you can't even begin to understand those.

If you want shallow depth of field, buy a $20000 drone and haul your huge lens around.

2020-8-15
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-15 08:37
DJI needs to bring the Shallow Depth of field function from the Spark to all the other DJI drones.
DJI doesn't seem to think so.
Drones are very rarely used for close subjects where it might be able to be used.

The shallow focus bokeh feature is awesome.
2020-8-15
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can create modest bokeh effects similar if not better than what the Spark produced with a fast aperture lens such as f2.8 by doing it manually. Keep the subject focused to the centre of the foreground of the image, generate motion blur such as a POI around the subject and you'll have the effect in the frame. To get the best results you will indeed need an expensive fast prime lens with a long focal length but in terms of the level of depth of field that the Spark produced this is easily replicated with almost any DJI drone.
2020-8-15
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Here is a basic example taken with my MA2. Compare the focus of the bush in the foreground to the car and trees in the background.

2020-8-15
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 8-15 09:15
Here is a basic example taken with my MA2. Compare the focus of the bush in the foreground to the car and trees in the background.

[view_image]

How do you create bokeh w/ it?
2020-8-15
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 8-15 09:13
You can create modest bokeh effects similar if not better than what the Spark produced with a fast aperture lens such as f2.8 by doing it manually. Keep the subject focused to the centre of the foreground of the image, generate motion blur such as a POI around the subject and you'll have the effect in the frame. To get the best results you will indeed need an expensive fast prime lens with a long focal length but in terms of the level of depth of field that the Spark produced this is easily replicated with almost any DJI drone.

I really don't like bokeh all the time though.  You have to force a higher aperture number to get a corner-to-corner sharpness image but then you have to drive the ISO up and/or lower the shutter speed.  This happens when the camera sensor is bigger than the 1 2/3 sensor.
2020-8-15
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 8-15 09:33
How do you create bokeh w/ it?

The motion blur created by the drone after creating the depth yourself - big subject close up the background will blur with the motion. It's an interesting look.
2020-8-15
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 8-15 09:34
I really don't like bokeh all the time though.  You have to force a higher aperture number to get a corner-to-corner sharpness image but then you have to drive the ISO up and/or lower the shutter speed.  This happens when the lens is bigger than the 1 2/3 sensor.

The occasional one is cool - like most photography the same style gets boring. If you just take B&W stills or use the dolly zoom all the time its just tedious after a while. But the odd one compliments a varied compilation.
2020-8-15
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 8-15 09:35
The motion blur created by the drone after creating the depth yourself - big subject close up the background will blur with the motion. It's an interesting look.

So you are saying you took a shot still then another shot while it's moving then stacked it?
2020-8-15
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 8-15 11:08
So you are saying you took a shot still then another shot while it's moving then stacked it?

In this shot I was doing a point of interest with my shutter speed double the FR whilst keeping the bush in this image centred to the foreground and recorded the orbit in 4K. I then freeze framed the video in post and extracted the still.
2020-8-15
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 8-15 11:14
In this shot I was doing a point of interest with my shutter speed double the FR whilst keeping the bush in this image centred to the foreground and recorded the orbit in 4K. I then freeze framed the video in post and extracted the still.

screenshotting is cheating

did you shoot that in Log?
2020-8-15
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 8-15 12:00
screenshotting is cheating

did you shoot that in Log?

Hahaha - it's just another method of gaining stills for yourself from your own work.
No, normal colour profile. There is no Log on the MA2 - just normal or D-cinelike.
2020-8-15
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

How interesting and fascinating discussion of all experts here ... Using drones with usually wide angle lenses for portrait photography ... What a wonderful idea! Silly me, thinking that only 50 mm (or longer) lens may produce appealing bokeh ... Learning everyday something new! Wait, oh, how about employing prop wash for sexy hairs movements? Professional photographers are using electric fans for this trick ...

How to subscribe to all AntDX316 posts? I'm afraid to miss yet another equally brilliant idea ...
2020-8-15
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 8-15 12:28
Hahaha - it's just another method of gaining stills for yourself from your own work.
No, normal colour profile. There is no Log on the MA2 - just normal or D-cinelike.

I was doing the same, screenshotting full-frame videos I've made on a race track when I was new. : )
2020-8-15
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 8-15 13:28
How interesting and fascinating discussion of all experts here ... Using drones with usually wide angle lenses for portrait photography ... What a wonderful idea! Silly me, thinking that only 50 mm (or longer) lens may produce appealing bokeh ... Learning everyday something new! And, oh, how about employing props wash for interesting model's hair movements? Professional photographers are using electric fans for this ...

How to subscribe to all AntDX316 posts? I'm afraid to miss yet another equally brilliant idea ...

The fact you can have at least some good bokeh using shallow focus with the Spark is cool.  It may not be super perfect but I like the look.  Note, it shuts down the ability to control the drone as you get a grey/blackout while it takes it and it flies up around 2-3' automatically then lowers itself while taking a lot of shots that it merges together in the DJI photo editor for target focus bokeh.

Check this out.

I did the same but indoors but it was very ISO noisy so I didn't upload.  I didn't get it in the beginning (years ago) as I was uploading to PC and saw this video by accident when looking for a DJI Spark review just to see it again using the DJI Spark which I haven't for a long time.  Watching videos can make it feel like it just came out or is going to come out.

Like I said, if you use a full-frame with the right lens you can get that bokeh but I said I don't want bokeh all the time.  If you want corner-to-corner sharpness you have to increase the aperture number, lower the shutter, and probably significantly increase the ISO.  With a 1 2/3" it can stay ISO-100, you get no bokeh with your corner-to-corner sharpness so doing the DJI Spark Shallow Focus method is the way how to get it.

When I start getting into portrait photography, I will remember to implement some sort of wind into the shoot but it could break the hair apart.
2020-8-15
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 8-15 20:46
I was doing the same, screenshotting full-frame videos I've made on a race track when I was new. : )

Good for you.
2020-8-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just do it in photoshop afterwards.
2020-8-17
Use props
Montfrooij